Sign in to follow this  
737_800

I think I need a new system

Hi, 

I am still running FSX but I want to switch to P3D. Since P3D v4.4 has recently been released I will wait for v5, I have no time for flight simming anyway till summer. So waiting will not hurt, even if there will be no v5. 

This is my system at the moment. I am wondering what do I have to invest to run P3D optimally. Of course we don't know the requirements for v5, but referring P3D v4 should give a outline, I think. 

• 8GB Corsair Vengeance schwarz PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24
  • be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER BQT E9-450W 80+Gold
  • Enermax Cluster 12x12cm
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express
  • Intel Core i5-3570K
  • Lian Li PC-9F Midi-Tower
  • Scythe Mugen 3
  • 512 GB Samsung SSD
  • Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Mainboard

I would go for a i9-9900K and a good GPU (at least 8 GB VRAM). Memory at least 16 GB, better 32. A 1 GB M.2 SSD for P3D should be fine. But honestly, at the moment there is no optimal or ideal system for P3d imo. I recently added a RTX 2080 Ti to my system and it is still not perfect. It all depends on your requirements and some issues will remain even with the best hardware available.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

15 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Hi, 

I am still running FSX but I want to switch to P3D. Since P3D v4.4 has recently been released I will wait for v5, I have no time for flight simming anyway till summer. So waiting will not hurt, even if there will be no v5. 

This is my system at the moment. I am wondering what do I have to invest to run P3D optimally. Of course we don't know the requirements for v5, but referring P3D v4 should give a outline, I think. 

• 8GB Corsair Vengeance schwarz PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24
  • be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER BQT E9-450W 80+Gold
  • Enermax Cluster 12x12cm
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express
  • Intel Core i5-3570K
  • Lian Li PC-9F Midi-Tower
  • Scythe Mugen 3
  • 512 GB Samsung SSD
  • Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Mainboard

Looking at your specs u will basically need to start from scratch to run P3D optimally.  Do u have a budget in mind?

Matt Wilson

Hello,

do you have a budget or are you asking for the highest possible current PC specs for gaming of all kinds

because that is what you will get with the question you are asking.

12 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I would go for a i9-9900K 

The i9-9900K is by general consensus the worst processor when it comes to performance-price ratio, unless money is no issue of course
The i7-9700K is much better priced for a little less performance.
One example, but there are many more:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1730-intel-core-i9-9900k-core-i7-9700k/

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I'd start with a 1070Ti (if you can find one). That video card would likely hold you back significantly, and you can reuse it when you upgrade the PC itself. I'd then see how that rig performs under P3Dv4..... the RAM might also be a limitation, depending on your aircraft and scenery.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

19 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Looking at your specs u will basically need to start from scratch to run P3D optimally.  Do u have a budget in mind?

I agree.

Specs look marginal to me, especially if you are talking about add on airport scenery and sophisticated aircraft add on's, etc..

If it's just default everything, it might run ok, if he keeps the settings in a modest range.

13 minutes ago, Luke said:

I'd start with a 1070Ti (if you can find one). That video card would likely hold you back significantly, and you can reuse it when you upgrade the PC itself. I'd then see how that rig performs under P3Dv4..... the RAM might also be a limitation, depending on your aircraft and scenery.

Cheers!

I would need to change my mainboard for that graphic card, right? Would that be enough, for the beginning: new motherboard, 1070ti, second-hand additional 8 GB of RAM. 

My Budget is very little at the moment. I am also not sure when to switch, I could imagen next year in summer or autumn. Maybe there will be new products available or the older becomes slightly cheaper. If I had to start from stretch, I could consider to sell my current computer. Do you think I could get 300 € for that components in total? Other question is: When I get only 300 € for that, would it make sense to keep that system, for other stuff? I want to record my flight, I heard that it's better for frames to record with a second computer instead of recording with the flightsim computer. Would that make any sense? Of course my budget is limited and I would need the 300€. 

I am aware of that everything might change 6-8 months, however I just wanted to get in overview, what I would expect. 

edit: @SunDevil56: Yes, I use addons like: PMDG 737, FSlabs and ORBX, ActiveSky etc. 

Edited by 737_800

Just now, 737_800 said:

I would need to change my mainboard for that graphic card, right? Would that be enough, for the beginning: new motherboard, 1070ti, second-hand additional 8 GB of RAM. 

No... that motherboard should be able to handle a 1070. PCIe is PCIe - and I'm 90% sure your mobo supports PCIe v3.0 - Ivy Bridge certainly does. Worst case you are at PCIE 2.0 speeds which is more than enough for P3D.

So I'd start with second hand RAM and videocard upgrade, see where that gets you. I can't speak to second hand prices in your location.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

How quickly "old" processors are written off as "marginal".

An i5 is well up to the task of running P3D and of course a K

model with a bit better cooling will overclock easily on that motherboard.

The GTX 650ti is a relatively weak card and also relatively small,

so it would be a good idea to check if a 9 or 10 series card will physically fit.

450W is not a huge power supply to run one either.

I very much doubt that you would need to change the motherboard, it supports Pcie 3.0.

I also very much doubt that you would be able to sell what you have, let alone for 300 euros.

If you want an improvement for a small price, a used 970 or 980 would probably cost well under

100 euros and give you what you need to run P3D v4.

(I have a 970 in my loft😉)

Edited by nolonger

I would upgrade gpu 

increase ram to 16gb 

and if CPU is a k model overclock it.

I run a i7 4790k at 4.7 ghz 

2 gtx titan sc 6gb sli

16gb ram 

Running P3d v4.4 pretty well

with a few addons. Asp4, global vector mesh flightbeam fsdreamteam asca envtex envshade etc etc

reasonable settings 

4k at 25hz running smooth 

My Budget is very little at the moment.

I guess you didn't read the topic.