Gary McCluskey

Which gate is which?

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. 

I was wondering if there was a tool out there that can show you what an airport looks like from above, and where each gate is where... 

I have bought Gatwick Airport (EGKK), and its great, but there's a great part of the airport that I know the gate numbers. I've gone through loads of gate numbers to place my aircraft and it's never there. It's almost like that part of the airport has gates you aren't able to use. 

Anyone who knows something for my files to show me what the airport is programed like. 

Thanks, Gaz 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

as payware there's aivlasoft EFB 2, seems to work nice. You then can get charts from navigraph as well if you want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Little NavMap will show a bird's eye view of the airport with gate types and aircraft codes.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Gary,

You already have the capability with your Pro-ATC/X program...use the feature called "Moving Map".

Regards, Rob

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, LH340fan said:

aivlasoft EFB 2,

Great add-on, I use it, but I can never tell where the cargo ramps are, or which Gate is Medium/Heavy, etc

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Little NavMap will show a bird's eye view of the airport with gate types and aircraft codes.

Jay, I downloaded and installed Little Nav Map, it looks like an extremely powerful tool with a bewildering array of features... 

How do I bring up the birds eye view for a given airport so I can see the gate types etc..?? Does it also give you the gate numbers...??

Thanks in advance...🙂

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

How do I bring up the birds eye view for a given airport so I can see the gate types etc..?? Does it also give you the gate numbers...??

Hope Jay won't mind me answering on his behalf... just zoom in on the map view and as you get closer to the airport you will start to see the gate layouts.  And yes, you see the gate numbers.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

Hope Jay won't mind me answering on his behalf... just zoom in on the map view and as you get closer to the airport you will start to see the gate layouts.  And yes, you see the gate numbers.

Thanks Doug, much appreciated...🙂

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Jay, I downloaded and installed Little Nav Map, it looks like an extremely powerful tool with a bewildering array of features... 

How do I bring up the birds eye view for a given airport so I can see the gate types etc..?? Does it also give you the gate numbers...??

Thanks in advance...🙂

Open Little Navmap. First it's important to load your scenery library into LNM. Incidentally, this is what I love about LNM, personally: whatever info you see in LNM, that's what you have in your sim. Using Navigraph charts always bugged me a little because the charts and the scenery are not necessarily the same. E.g., scenery may be outdated or simply incorrect! So, load your scenery database first. Once this process is complete, you can use the moving map in LNM to go to Gatwick, and it will display your scenery and show you essentially your active AFCAD at Gatwick, including gate numbers and what type of parking it is (gate, parking, cargo ramp etc).

But you're quite right, the information and options in LNM is starlingly robust. I use it for every flight, and even use it on its own sometimes to investigate the AFCADs of my addon airports. It really is a terrific piece of software!

EDIT: Heh, will just noticed Doug gave the answer like an hour ago :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Benjamin J said:

Open Little Navmap. First it's important to load your scenery library into LNM. Incidentally, this is what I love about LNM, personally: whatever info you see in LNM, that's what you have in your sim. Using Navigraph charts always bugged me a little because the charts and the scenery are not necessarily the same. E.g., scenery may be outdated or simply incorrect! So, load your scenery database first. Once this process is complete, you can use the moving map in LNM to go to Gatwick, and it will display your scenery and show you essentially your active AFCAD at Gatwick, including gate numbers and what type of parking it is (gate, parking, cargo ramp etc).

But you're quite right, the information and options in LNM is starlingly robust. I use it for every flight, and even use it on its own sometimes to investigate the AFCADs of my addon airports. It really is a terrific piece of software!

EDIT: Heh, will just noticed Doug gave the answer like an hour ago 😛

Thanks for the info Benjamin, very much appreciated...🙂

Share this post


Link to post

When I zoom in to the airport in LNM, I have a large white overlay showing the runways that covers most of the taxiways and some of the terminal and ramp. Can I turn this off somehow?

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

When I zoom in to the airport in LNM, I have a large white overlay showing the runways that covers most of the taxiways and some of the terminal and ramp. Can I turn this off somehow?

What airport are you looking at?

Share this post


Link to post

At the moment, KIAD (Flightbeam) and KBOS (FlyTampa). The default KDCA has them (the white runway backgrounds) covering most of the airport. I don't see gate numbers on any of them regardless of how far I zoom in.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

At the moment, KIAD (Flightbeam) and KBOS (FlyTampa). The default KDCA has them (the white runway backgrounds) covering most of the airport. I don't see gate numbers on any of them regardless of how far I zoom in.

Try this.  Go to Tools --> Options --> Map Display --> Airports Section (near top) and un-check "Diagram Boundary".  Hope this helps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

Try this.  Go to Tools --> Options --> Map Display --> Airports Section (near top) and un-check "Diagram Boundary".  Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. It worked! I was all over that options page. I was looking for something pertinent to runways.

Share this post


Link to post

When I fly I have FSmovmap2 on my tablet, you get Satelite, Map or Terrain options, it also shows AI traffic, you can click on a plane and it will tell you the info. It will load your flight plan and waypoints and follow your flight. Really recommend it.

At the airport, you can zoom in and see the airport positions and gate numbers, taxiways etc. as they appear in real life. As it is on my tablet and you just use a bridge from your PC, there is no noticeable drop in performance.

You can download it from the playstore, not sure if available on IOS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, vc10man said:

Great add-on, I use it, but I can never tell where the cargo ramps are, or which Gate is Medium/Heavy, etc

Hi Rick,

I'm reasonably sure cargo ramps are a different colour. The size of the circle reflects the gate size.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Rick,

I'm reasonably sure cargo ramps are a different colour. The size of the circle reflects the gate size.

Will check that out, thanks, Ray. Just using EFBv2 now, as it happens, at UK2000's Glasgow.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Will check that out, thanks, Ray. Just using EFBv2 now, as it happens, at UK2000's Glasgow.

BBC News channel on here. Historic day. Let me know if I got it right / wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

BBC News channel on here. Historic day. Let me know if I got it right / wrong.

Do not have TV or radio, just rely on web, and steering away from the maelstrom. I'd rather spend time simming or trying the newly-acquired 747-8i!!

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Do not have TV or radio, just rely on web, and steering away from the maelstrom. I'd rather spend time simming or trying the newly-acquired 747-8i!!

Crikey! 😲

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Crikey! 😲

Betrayers are taking over. The Guy Fawkes Plot is noting compared to what the voters stated at that 2016 Referendum. 'Oh, we do like that General Election result. Can we have a second vote, or maybe a third vote?' What utter tripe! I have said my piece, and leave it that. I came to a Britain in the 60s that had 'Great' before it, not European-run Britain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/14/2019 at 8:24 PM, vc10man said:

Great add-on, I use it, but I can never tell where the cargo ramps are, or which Gate is Medium/Heavy, etc

Depends on the profile: it knows exactly your wingspan and GW. the gates that appear in green are the ones in which you fit, unlike the ones in grey. 

 

BTW I usually look for remote stands for cargo, and then check on the p3D menu. Otherwise I have a look on google maps and maybe offline charts, even older pdf ones. Guess it's still better than nothing

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

Little NavMap

I have to admit, I already have this, and forgot that it can do the map! I love it. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now