Benjamin J

ThaiCreation airports in P3Dv4

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

Just thought I'd leave this heads-up here. A while ago I got ThaiCreation's Kathmandu airport for FSX. I decided to give it a whirl in P3Dv4, just to see what it looks like. FSX airports in P3Dv4 generally have been a bit of a mixed bag for me, with airports working 100% sometimes, and other time snot at all. Some of them need to be manually converted to P3Dv4 using modelconverterx, such as Taxi2Gate's Cuban airports. That said, ThaiCreation's kathmandu worked very well, to my surprise, at least at daytime. I admit I did not try at night... More testing will be required for that.

However, as I tend to not fly much at night anyway, when I saw that ThaiCreation had another 50% sale going again at Simmarket, I plunged and got Mumbai, Macau and Bangkok Don Mueang. with 50% off, these sceneries are about 9$, and so I felt that for the price I could take the risk of it not working.

I installed all three into an outside folder at first, and then manually moved them into my special P3Dv4 Addons foler, and activated using Lorby's Addon manager. Loaded up at Macau first... And I was astonished by how good the scenery looks. This is an old FSX scenery... but it looks and runs beautifully. Mumbai was equally nice, and so was Don Mueang. Of course, they are not really up to today's FlightBeam standards, but for the price and their age, their compatibility is astonishingly good.

So, if you are hurting for any of these airports, I would say: for the on-sale price, get it and see for yourself. For me it runs great, and it looks beautiful. Again, didn't look at night-time scenery, but daytime is awesome. And I gotta say... these sceneries look better than some of the sceneries released these days for P3Dv4!

If anybody else has these sceneries in P3Dv4, let me know what you think. Curious to hear other people's perspective!

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, attractive prices if they're working in P3Dv4. I have Kathmandu somewhere in my backup, I vowed not to install anything not ported properly to v4 but I'll give it a spin if you say it works.

Maybe hoping for a lot, but are there any SODE gates on the other ones you purchased?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Orbitandy said:

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, attractive prices if they're working in P3Dv4. I have Kathmandu somewhere in my backup, I vowed not to install anything not ported properly to v4 but I'll give it a spin if you say it works.

Maybe hoping for a lot, but are there any SODE gates on the other ones you purchased?

Hey

On the ini build page I did see a few SODE files for this developer. Worth a check. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the heads up Ben, i'll have to take a look at these.

Share this post


Link to post

Thought I'd post an update. I just took off from Macau in the worst weather. There is an issue with the lights. I'm not sure if it's because of the foggy conditions, but the runway lights flicker like crazy. To me it's a minor annoyance, but may be a dealbreaker for others. it also seems to me like the apron markings are a little too faint, which may be an issue - I've never seen the scenery in FSX, so I wouldn't know. Finally, the apron lights are visible in foggy conditions, which I remember being an issue also in FSX - it's a design flaw.

But, all in all, I think that for 8$ the scenery was a steal, despite the issues. To me they are nowhere close of a deal breaker. Out of curiosity I may do a night flight some other time and see if the lights still flicker.

A little later I'll post some screenshots.

EDIT Also, for those discussing SODE: Indeed the inibuilds website has a profile for Macau, and I found Mumbai over at the FSDT forum following a search of the forum. Macau's SODE looks great and appears to be work well, I have not tried Mumbai yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Do you know if their even older scenery work as well. I am looking for the two airports in Vietnam but they are for 2004. For some reason I thought there was an elevation issue at Mumbai which is why it wasn't recommended. Did you have that problem?

Edited by bosflo
had another question

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bosflo said:

Do you know if their even older scenery work as well. I am looking for the two airports in Vietnam but they are for 2004. For some reason I thought there was an elevation issue at Mumbai which is why it wasn't recommended. Did you have that problem?

I do not have that elevation issue, though I read about it. It appear very well for me.

As for those FS2004 airports, I highly doubt that would work and I don't recommend using any sceneries older than FS2004. But, somebody did atcually make a FSX-compatible version of Hanoi: https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=201168

I'm not sure who did it or how it's allowed to be uploaded in Avsim, but it's, for all I can tell, exactly the FS2004 scenery by ThaiCreation, except that it includes the newly built Terminal 2. However, there's issues with the ground poly and the photoscenery and buildings in the surroundings appear to be missing. I haven't tried to fix any of it yet as it's essentially functional...

 

Also, a screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JarjEIUiWnl3upLTNh8gO1VxHo3ncoU2

Share this post


Link to post

Cool, good enough for me. I think I might pick up a few more for the price.

thanks for the SODE info.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Orbitandy said:

Cool, good enough for me. I think I might pick up a few more for the price.

thanks for the SODE info.

I should add that I did try the SODE at Mumbai, but found the jetways stuck in the ground. I believe this is part of the elevation issue that others reported. From what I can see, OrbX Vector might actually 'save' the elevation issue, as deactivating the ABT_VABB file in the Vector folder that contains Airport information does reveal an elevation issue. All to say that, if you don't have OrbX Vetcor, you may indeed have a Mumbai elevation issue, and also to say that, for me, the SODE jetways at Mumbai are currently a no-go.

Still a pretty airport scenery though.

Which also makes me wonder: does anybody here have IS's VIDP? From the screenshots the photoscenery looks rather low-res, not really their nicest scenery. But, it's not that expensive, so perhaps worth it? Any opinions?

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for the link to the VVNB scenery. I am always reluctant to install FSX scenery into P3D because you never know what it will do to the P3D setup. Since it worked for you it should work for me so I will install and cross my fingers. Looks like it is just a folder that you move into the add on scenery folder which is the best way for me. If there is a problem it's easy to just remove that folder. It's too bad that there isn't a list of FSX sceneries that will work in P3D because I'm sure we are missing out on some good scenery. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2019 at 1:21 AM, Benjamin J said:

Hey all,

Just thought I'd leave this heads-up here. A while ago I got ThaiCreation's Kathmandu airport for FSX. I decided to give it a whirl in P3Dv4, just to see what it looks like. FSX airports in P3Dv4 generally have been a bit of a mixed bag for me, with airports working 100% sometimes, and other time snot at all. Some of them need to be manually converted to P3Dv4 using modelconverterx, such as Taxi2Gate's Cuban airports. That said, ThaiCreation's kathmandu worked very well, to my surprise, at least at daytime. I admit I did not try at night... More testing will be required for that.

However, as I tend to not fly much at night anyway, when I saw that ThaiCreation had another 50% sale going again at Simmarket, I plunged and got Mumbai, Macau and Bangkok Don Mueang. with 50% off, these sceneries are about 9$, and so I felt that for the price I could take the risk of it not working.

I installed all three into an outside folder at first, and then manually moved them into my special P3Dv4 Addons foler, and activated using Lorby's Addon manager. Loaded up at Macau first... And I was astonished by how good the scenery looks. This is an old FSX scenery... but it looks and runs beautifully. Mumbai was equally nice, and so was Don Mueang. Of course, they are not really up to today's FlightBeam standards, but for the price and their age, their compatibility is astonishingly good.

So, if you are hurting for any of these airports, I would say: for the on-sale price, get it and see for yourself. For me it runs great, and it looks beautiful. Again, didn't look at night-time scenery, but daytime is awesome. And I gotta say... these sceneries look better than some of the sceneries released these days for P3Dv4!

If anybody else has these sceneries in P3Dv4, let me know what you think. Curious to hear other people's perspective!

Thanks for this review.  I was looking at these scenery packages over the weekend and held back because I didn't think the quality would be up to scratch.  I'll give it a go now.  Have wanted a good Mumbai and Bangkok for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2019 at 6:11 PM, Benjamin J said:

Which also makes me wonder: does anybody here have IS's VIDP? From the screenshots the photoscenery looks rather low-res, not really their nicest scenery. But, it's not that expensive, so perhaps worth it? Any opinions?

I've brought my old X version in with generally good results. You're spot on in that the photo scenery is looking its age and doesn't blend with the surroundings well, but I felt it a fair trade considering how abysmal the stock version of the scenery looks. I haven't been able to determine what improvements have been made to the P3d version so can't comment there (I heavily customized my older version's airport file to bring T2 back to life with current assignments and taxi routes so have been lazy to test the update). It seems like my weather add-on always depicts VIDP in a low vis state so these transitions aren't so obvious much of the time. 

Here as well as Mumbai I turned off the default jetways (renamed relevant bgl's to .off) and used SODE Placer to add my own based on the original scenery and sat photos. Mumbai works really well, the only drawback being how "incomplete" the airport looks in terms of the current state of the terminal projects so it's a bit of a time machine. 

After the SODE jetway additions and a quick (relatively) run-through to add dynamic light splashes that coincide with the light towers in the scenery the results are actually very pleasing (I tend towards westbound night flights out of Mumbai). 

Back to VIDP, the effort in the SODE updates and light FX control placements in ADE was rather cumbersome but was worth it IMO, though I've tended to enjoy adding these items to my older X scenery and seeing it come to new life in v4. Just on a related note I've had similarly good results with VVNB and A_A's Phuket, though VVNB needed some selective bgl updating to P3d using MCX.

Edited by sddjd

Share this post


Link to post

May I ask you how you installed Mumbai? I thought if I could delete it and reinstall it then It would somehow fix the elevation problem. But of course after I un-installed it I couldn't remember how I installed it the first time. In the install options, there is a P3D4 option, so I am confused if I install it that way or make a folder in P3D4 and then download it to that file then use add scenery in P3D4. By the way the other airports I bought (Macau and Kathmandu) work very well, so that was good news.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, sddjd said:

I've brought my old X version in with generally good results. You're spot on in that the photo scenery is looking its age and doesn't blend with the surroundings well, but I felt it a fair trade considering how abysmal the stock version of the scenery looks. I haven't been able to determine what improvements have been made to the P3d version so can't comment there (I heavily customized my older version's airport file to bring T2 back to life with current assignments and taxi routes so have been lazy to test the update). It seems like my weather add-on always depicts VIDP in a low vis state so these transitions aren't so obvious much of the time. 

Here as well as Mumbai I turned off the default jetways (renamed relevant bgl's to .off) and used SODE Placer to add my own based on the original scenery and sat photos. Mumbai works really well, the only drawback being how "incomplete" the airport looks in terms of the current state of the terminal projects so it's a bit of a time machine. 

After the SODE jetway additions and a quick (relatively) run-through to add dynamic light splashes that coincide with the light towers in the scenery the results are actually very pleasing (I tend towards westbound night flights out of Mumbai). 

Back to VIDP, the effort in the SODE updates and light FX control placements in ADE was rather cumbersome but was worth it IMO, though I've tended to enjoy adding these items to my older X scenery and seeing it come to new life in v4. Just on a related note I've had similarly good results with VVNB and A_A's Phuket, though VVNB needed some selective bgl updating to P3d using MCX.

Thanks for your candid review, Dan! Based on your comments I decided to go ahead and get VIDP - I don't see anybody else even remotely close to making a new version of it, and it's not too expensive.

Would you be able to share with me your dynamic light and SODE mods for both VIDP and VABB? It'd be much appreciated 🙂 I understand you place the dynamic lights useing ADE, would you also be able to share any details on how you add those?

 

8 hours ago, bosflo said:

May I ask you how you installed Mumbai? I thought if I could delete it and reinstall it then It would somehow fix the elevation problem. But of course after I un-installed it I couldn't remember how I installed it the first time. In the install options, there is a P3D4 option, so I am confused if I install it that way or make a folder in P3D4 and then download it to that file then use add scenery in P3D4. By the way the other airports I bought (Macau and Kathmandu) work very well, so that was good news.

Mumbai does not have a P3Dv4 option, as it's an FSX only scenery, are you sure you're not actually talking about VIDP? At any rate, I made a folder outside P3Dv4's main folder called "Thai Creation", where I directed the Mumbai installer. It proceeded to make a Simmarket and Addon Scenery folder, which I merged into a Mumbai VABB folder containing the scenery and texture folders, as well as the uninstallers from the Simmarket folder. Then I activated that folder using lorby's Addon Manager. Let me know if you need any further help.

I'll just add that I think OrbX Vector is the one to have cured my elevation problem, as it appears to come with a file that, when disabled, causes elevation issues at VABB. That said, I have not arrived at VABB yet, so it's possible that the elevation problem will in fact appear if it's loaded upon arrival from another location. A similar issue existed when merging OrbX TE NL and FT EHAM, and was fixed following manual file disabling according to instructions on the OrbX forum.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I had to delete that file completely and now Mumbai seems to be good. The only thing is that I don't have the apartments around VABB that comes with the scenery but I can live with it. Do you have the apartment buildings? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post

That's weird... For me Mumbai has elevation issues precisely when I turn that file off, so I'm not sure why you're all good when you disable it... As for the apartment building,s I never used this scenery in FSX so clearly I don't know what I might be missing. Later today I'll try to see if I can bring them back. It's possible that if you convert them to P3Dv4 models they will show up again. You can do that by opening them in modelconverterx and then immediately exporting them as a P3Dv4 bgl.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, sddjd said:

Back to VIDP, the effort in the SODE updates and light FX control placements in ADE was rather cumbersome but was worth it IMO, though I've tended to enjoy adding these items to my older X scenery and seeing it come to new life in v4.

Dan, like Benjamin I'd be very interested in any and all files you'd be willing to share for VIDP and VABB (via PM is fine if you prefer). Your efforts sound truly excellent!

James

Share this post


Link to post

So I bought and installed ThaiCreation's Kathmandu in P3Dv4.4 and everything looks and works great except I have these jetways to nowhere around the apron.  Any idea how to get rid of them?

0-A4-DE7-EA-1-B10-4284-A289-5-BF415-CBBB

 

Share this post


Link to post

You should probably check to see if you have any third party AFCAD installed for Kathmandu, as these appear to be default jetways that would typically be defined by an AFCAD file. Once you find it, deactivate it, and that should  take care of the jetways. The biggest offenders are usually third party AI packages such as MyTraffic, which include updates AFCADs for many airports. These do need to be subsequently deactivated, however.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

You should probably check to see if you have any third party AFCAD installed for Kathmandu, as these appear to be default jetways that would typically be defined by an AFCAD file. Once you find it, deactivate it, and that should  take care of the jetways. The biggest offenders are usually third party AI packages such as MyTraffic, which include updates AFCADs for many airports. These do need to be subsequently deactivated, however.

Ran SAS I couldn’t find the offending AFCaD but I opened the Scenery Manager and placed Tribhuvan at the top of the list and the jetways are gone...  time to take the Twotter to Lukla.

thanks for ur help!!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now