Sign in to follow this  
wyodeacon

FSX wants to repair

I have searched both here and on Brand X and found several posts about my problem.  However, they are fairly old and mostly deal with XP and Win 7.

I have Windows 10 running on a Dell XPS with 16mb of RAM and a 2 gig HD.  Now, here's the problem.  I recently had a problem with Orbx Base package and had to uninstall it.  Somehow, in the process I managed to delete all of the files in FSX. Don't ask, I have no idea!  Anyway, I then tried to uninstall FSX but it couldn't be found. I went into my regedit program and deleted everything with either "microsoft Flight Simulator" or "FSX".  Then, I cleaned the registry of unused files. (ccleaner)  I also went into my user\name\remote, and local and deleted the microsoft\FSX folders.  Also went into user\name\appdate\documents and made sure all folders were deleted.  Finally I searched my C drive for "FSX" and found probably 40 files in users.  When I tried to delete them most of them wouldn't delete because it said they were no longer in there.  Not sure what to do about that.  Anyhow, I tried to reinstall FSX and it keeps coming up with either "repair" or "uninstall".  I know there are probably some vagrant files somewhere but I don't know what else to do to find them.  I sure don't want to re-install windows so is there anything else I can do?

Have you tried to click on uninstall to see what happens?  At this point, it sounds like your best option.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Is there a chance that you have the File History feature turned on?   

Otherwise, I have a odd suggestion if all else fails.. and this may fail also.

Download the free copy of Revo Uninstall.  Hope this works with the free version.. Choose "Forced Unistall', then "Browse for". Choose folder and point it to one the contains the FSX files you can't find, then Next, etc.

As a last ditch, and this is really a dumb idea.  Create a folder titled "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", put a fake fsx.exe file in it and try the forced uninstall using File as the option, then point it to the fake fsx.exe file.  As I said; dumb and doesn't make sense, but I'm out of ideas.. :-)

Ernie

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

Removed my post! Read original post again and see I was too late!

Next time something like this happens such as what happened with your Orbx,  delete your fsx.cfg file and hope FSX can rebuild it!  If not, delete scenery.cfg and try.  Then delete the shaders folder.  Those three steps before any uninstall steps.  If FSX is able to rebuild it will likely retain all your add-ons. That would be an incredible savings in time and effort!

I also backup those files and the folder regularly and restore them selectively if I encounter an error.  The older your FSX installation becomes the more likely you will need to do this.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

All good suggestions...but, too late.  However, I just kept returning to my registry editor searching for more files.  I did find some more and

deleted them. This is strange, but true,when I looked at Revo Uninstaller (I happen to have bought it several years ago) there was FSX!  I uninstalled

it and it worked!  But, now I have a different problem.  While trying to install FSX it gets about half way and then I get an error message

telling me it can not find ablscpt.dll.  Nothing to do but abort the install.  I'm not sure where it is supposed to be, or where to find it, so

I'm dead in the water again.

I would run under Windows PowerShell (adminstrator) sfc /scannow to look for and repair any corrupt files you may have on your system.

If that fails run this command:  DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

command prompt check system files

5 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

telling me it can not find ablscpt.dll.  Nothing to do but abort the install.  I'm not sure where it is supposed to be, or where to find it, so

Looks like it's part of the FSX install or at least it's sitting in my FSX directory. 

Maybe heading down the rabbit hole here, but if all else fails you could always get a copy of the file, manually register it and then attempt the install once again.

Ernest Pergrem

BTW, I also posted on Flightsim hoping to double up and get an answer.

Tried scannow, but I don't think I'm doing it right.

Success!!  I followed a suggestion from someone on the other board to download MS Registry tool. (kb928080) from flyaway.  I followed the instructions that came with the download and it fixed the problem.  I have now installed FSX and everything seems to be working great.  Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions.  I appreciate it.

On 9 April 2019 at 8:35 PM, wyodeacon said:

Success!!  I followed a suggestion from someone on the other board to download MS Registry tool. (kb928080) from flyaway.  I followed the instructions that came with the download and it fixed the problem.  

Just for future reference, specifically what did you have to do to get it working?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit