737Andi

Shimmering in X Plane 11 (Temporal Aliasing?)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I'm noticing a strong shimmering on far distant objects with all tried out graphic settings under X Plane 11.3.
This makes for example the runway in the horizon very blurry. Or houses very unsharp and shimmering at the edges.
I'm not talking about the usual jagginess that can be fixed by Setting MSAA to x8.

Having done some research I believe ist rather the "temporal aliasing".
Is that correct?

A lot of new games already have the Technology TXAA to get rid of that.
X Plane so far has only MSAA and FXAA :(

Is there any chance to solve or reduce this problem otherwise ?

Thank you very much!

Best regards Andreas

Edited by 737Andi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have the same issue. As far as I learned, there is only one possibility in the present XP11: Choose a setting without HDR. Which however looks pretty dull, thus I opted for shimmering instead of dullness. 

BTW, there have been already threads on the subject

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure to turn on FXAA in the NVCP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd kill for some TAA (TXAA is Nvidia's thing, you just want TAA) in X-Plane. Especially in OrbX's TE GB, some of the shimmering is off the charts, which you need 4xSSAA at least, to bring down to an acceptable level. However, 4K doesn't seem to put a dent in it whatsoever, which makes me think there's some Z-fighting in there as well. However, 4K + 4xSSAA, in an autogen rich environment just murders performance for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

even in p3dv4 HDR causes shimmering....i disabled it in p3dv4 and it's great....i hope the xp11 devs fix this issue.

Edited by Arthur42417

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope there is a solution to this soon, it's quite frustrating and distracting seeing it. Only way so far for me is to disable HDR which I'm not a fan of doing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I hope there is a solution to this soon, it's quite frustrating and distracting seeing it. Only way so far for me is to disable HDR which I'm not a fan of doing.

Even more as xVision needs HDR for most of the functions which I can't live without.

38 minutes ago, Arthur42417 said:

even in p3dv4 HDR causes shimmering....i disabled it in p3dv4 and it's great....i hope the xp11 devs fix this issue.

While I had bad shimmering in P3D over several versions, I don't get it anymore. This is with a 3440x1440 screen, a factory overclocked EVGA 1080TI 11GB and using 8xSSAA. As always, every system is different.

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pmb said:

While I had bad shimmering in P3D over several versions, I don't get it anymore. This is with a 3440x1440 screen, a factory overclocked EVGA 1080TI 11GB and using 8xSSAA. As always, every system is different.

8xSSAA with a 1080ti? WOW!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I was quite surprised myself when I first tried it. There are other, mostly CPU-related factors dragging much harder on my system. I might mention I have a bit of a special setup with a hardware panel and only scenery on screen and some burden outsurced to a networked machine.

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, pmb said:

I might mention I have a bit of a special setup with a hardware panel and only scenery on screen and some burden outsurced to a networked machine.

That must be it.

I've noticed, predictably, DRAMATICALLY better performance when there's no Virtual Cockpit and only the "view ahead".

 

If I had space for it, I'd thought about a G1000 real hardware setup and only scenery on screen, but honestly what I'm really going to go back to is VR once these higher resolution headsets are out soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, irrics said:

I've noticed, predictably, DRAMATICALLY better performance when there's no Virtual Cockpit and only the "view ahead".

Which I can confirm. I made a test with Virtual Cockpit on vs. off even in a C172 time ago and if memory serves me right fps differed between ~22 and ~30 in the same situation. 

And, yes, I am watching out for those higher resolution VR sets, too.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, pmb said:

Yes, I was quite surprised myself when I first tried it. There are other, mostly CPU-related factors dragging much harder on my system. I might mention I have a bit of a special setup with a hardware panel and only scenery on screen and some burden outsurced to a networked machine.

Kind regards, Michael

 I can only run 4xSSAA even with a 2080ti.  8xSSAA is possible during the day but at night it is game over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only fly during the day.

Kind regards, Michael

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now