Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Quick CPU

Lately, I'm seeing people mentioning this free software a lot, especially in Facebook groups (P3D v4,...). They are claiming it helps with the CPU1 100% utilization issue and as a result, it minimizes stuttering. I did try it, can't say it did anything noticeable, Core 0 was still at 100% but I didn't use it for more than 5 minutes, so not very credible results. Does anybody use it or heard about it before? Apparently, it does something with CPU parking and optimizes CPU performance. I already have Process Lasso but I'm not using it because it actually made things worse on my end - but since it has so many options and settings it's not very hard to enable something that induces stutters. So, Quick CPU, your thoughts?

On the topic of Core 0 being at 100% most of the time... apparently, it's better if the CPU load is evenly distributed over all CPUs. I recently played a game that also needed some tweaking and optimizations and there was a similar issue with Core 0 being maxed all the time. They found a solution for it. Alt-tab out of the game, disable Core 0, enable Core 0 back and voilà, Core 0 is not maxed out anymore and the load is evenly distributed. I tried the same thing in P3D and it worked, no more 100% on Core 0. But again, can't say it made much of a difference. Was this discussed before?

This discussion appears from time to time again on all FSX/P3D forums. Personally, the "only" two things I did in my case was using an Affinity Mask that restricts P3D to all logical cores of my HT processor and creating .bat files that move ActiveSky, REX Skyforce and ProATC/X off core0. With this, I have a very smooth sim experience and I did never check for how much the core0 was actually loaded. I do not care if it is on 100% or only on 10%, as long as I have no stutters and smooth gameplay. That is all I can say...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

39 minutes ago, AnkH said:

This discussion appears from time to time again on all FSX/P3D forums. Personally, the "only" two things I did in my case was using an Affinity Mask that restricts P3D to all logical cores of my HT processor and creating .bat files that move ActiveSky, REX Skyforce and ProATC/X off core0. With this, I have a very smooth sim experience and I did never check for how much the core0 was actually loaded. I do not care if it is on 100% or only on 10%, as long as I have no stutters and smooth gameplay. That is all I can say...

Yes, putting some add-ons off core0 can help. That's why I bought Process Lasso in the first place since you can't do that permanently with Task Manager in Win10. I know about .bat option but never tried it. 

It is the easiest and still a convenient way. You can then adjust your desktop icons to execute the .bat file instead of directly executing the .exe file. As such, you still have your desktop icons to start the software but it will run the .bat file instead. Works perfectly.

The only thing I did not manage to get fired up via .bat file and such being restricted to other cores is my UT2 software. As UT2 is executed only via exe.xml and the exe.xml does not accept .bat files being executed, UT2 is the last addon still running on core0. But obviously, the load by UT2 is so little that P3D is not hampered.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

As UT2 is executed only via exe.xml and the exe.xml does not accept .bat files being executed,

I use a bat to exe converter  (http://www.f2ko.de/en/b2e.php)  

Works perfect. Don't forget to run the exe as admin !

Edited by willy647
  • Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

5 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

On the topic of Core 0 being at 100% most of the time... apparently, it's better if the CPU load is evenly distributed over all CPUs.

More accurately, it is better if Core0 never reaches 100%.   The other cores are of less concern.

How are you still seeing Core0 at 100%?  Are you refreshing at 60 hz?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4 minutes ago, Mace said:

More accurately, it is better if Core0 never reaches 100%.   The other cores are of less concern.

How are you still seeing Core0 at 100%?  Are you refreshing at 60 hz?

Yes, I have 60Hz monitor.

4 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

Yes, I have 60Hz monitor.

Have you looked at the RTSS threads?

The problem you see is that for your sim to be smooth at 60 hz, you have to be able to maintain 60 fps.  That's just about impossible in all situations...hence the 100% cpu usage and stutters.   You need to refresh at 30 hz (can your screen do that?) with vsync = ON, OR use the RTSS tool.

Rhett

9 minutes ago, Mace said:

My Core0 is at 95%-100% all the time.  I rarely get stutters (sometimes when I get near an ORBX airport... most of the time only in the SoCal region) or long frames.  Sim is very smooth for me, coupled with nice visuals and no hassles (I just fly).  Early on after moving from FSX to P3Dv4 I obsessed about Core0 running flat out all the time... now I just let it do its thing.  I'm no longer convinced it's a problem.  The problems arise when running other apps on Core0.

Cheers,

Greg

3 hours ago, lownslo said:

My Core0 is at 95%-100% all the time.  I rarely get stutters (sometimes when I get near an ORBX airport... most of the time only in the SoCal region) or long frames.  Sim is very smooth for me, coupled with nice visuals and no hassles (I just fly).  Early on after moving from FSX to P3Dv4 I obsessed about Core0 running flat out all the time... now I just let it do its thing.  I'm no longer convinced it's a problem.  The problems arise when running other apps on Core0.

Cheers,

Greg

Sure, if they push over 100% the chance of a long frame increases.

Rhett

I built a new pc a few weeks ago and one of the first things I noticed with my new setup was CPU 0 was always pegged at 100% even with moderate p3d settings.

After some research I installed Nvidia inspector and set frames at 30fps (half refresh) and in p3d unlimited FPS with vsync/triple buffer on. Now all my cpu cores play nice.

regards, Andy

MSFS/P3Dv4.5/| i7 9700K @5.0 | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F |32GB3200C16 | ASUS 2080Ti OC connected to 3 x LG 27" monitors 5780x1080 | EVO 970 2TB M2 for sim, EVO PLUS 970 500GB M2 for W10pro64bit | VirtualFly YOKO & TQ6 |  MFG crosswinds | T16000M |