Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

5 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Not even remotely surprising.  That particular dev thinks their products are God's gift to the community.  I have to say, the attitude of some developers in this community is really off-putting.  Makes me not want to do business with them.  

Totally agree with you...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CarlHill said:

I venture to say that this is way way beyond the "Idea" stage.  Looks like it has been in the works for at least a couple of years.  You could not take an "Idea" and have it ready to release by holidays 2020 regardless of how big and rich you are.  A totally new flight simulator that covers the entire world with accurate satellite scenery, revamped weather modelling, working ATC, multiple aircraft and systems, etc. Hell, they could have been working on this since 2014 or earlier. 

You can be certain that they are working since before on parts of this project. But this is simply we connect our different databases and try to create a world model that we can reuse for different purposes. The flight simulator model is simply an idea how can we make money from it. But when we are talking about billing and so on it gets more complicated. The one bill for several years model won't work probably due to the amount of data that some customers use. But how much for what. I think even Microsoft can't give you a real answer for it at this time.

And in this time it would be extremely stupid for them if they have the complete earth ready, when the project starts. And in fact it could even happen that they decide to either downgrade the flight simulator or even turn the servers of in 2020 if it simply doesn't pays the bills. They have the advantage that the can increase and decrease the project size relatively fast.

But on the name. Sorry this is simply a name. Don't believe that Microsoft would have any real trouble to give the name Microsoft Flight Simulator to a basic flight model, no ATC and no dynamic weather project. You shouldn't expect to find many ACES members in this team.Some members might have left Microsoft or are working since several years on totally different projects. Flight Simulator and Train Simulator had simp0ly one factor that protected them for years Bill Gates.

But don't expect nostalgic feelings by the company itself.. It is simply an expectation by marketing "Microsoft Flight Simulator still has some value in the market compare to Flight alone. Some developers and managers might have nostalgic feelings, but it doesn't help you in talks with controlling, they want numbers not feelings. .

Edited by Longranger

20 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

I just wanted to be the first, and probably only, person to say that I actually liked MS Flight. It's what got me into this lark.

Guys ignore him, our friend Andy didnt take his pills today. C'mon Andy, back into your cell, there's ice cream waiting for ya! 

Nah, just kidding! I love your statement. Shows that "Flight" wasn't as bad as some want to make it. It brought new blood into our hobby, thats a good thing. And even if the new Flight Simulator proves to be too casual for most uf us, it may still act as an entry into the wonderful (and totally expensive) world of flightsimming for many out there. 

Edited by Woozie
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, eslader said:

I think there's two ways to think on that. One is that you're right-  everything should be baked in. Of course, that means the released product is going to be a lot more expensive. If they can charge $60 (actually I'd guess it'll come out at $100) for a modern interpretation of FSX, then they can charge $250 for FSX with good weather, good ATC, good scenery, etc etc.

They won't be selling it for that much if it requires a monthly subscription. If it uses the streaming scenery everyone is talking about here, I can't imagine how they can do it without a subscription to cover the bandwidth and back-end server infrastructure.

Remember this release is timed together with the introduction of Xbox Scarlett and the new streaming Xbox Cloud service. An advantage if you also play Xbox games, but it still might be $10 a month, $120 a year even before you get to buying add-ons. MSFS might even be a free download.

We just don't know anything about the pricing model yet, so this is all speculative. But if it's subscription-based, it will be a game changer for 3rd party add-on pricing, I think. There is a limit to what people will want to spend when they're already paying for it monthly.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 minute ago, sjt said:

...as I said "Just my 2 cents worth"

More like $20.00, but that's OK, worth every penny.

609g on SSD for me. Glad to have enjoyed it, and plan to keep flying till MSFS XX (or whatever), but 100% ready to move entirely to a brand new sim, you bet!

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Stephen

• Like 4

I will take a software subscription for scenery all day long over having to individually purchase regions from OrbX for $30-50 whenever they finally come out and then keep them up-to-date and pay for platform updates and still not have even close to complete earth coverage.

Oh... And what the video just showed already looks better than True Earth anyways

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, sjt said:

So - we aren't looking at a new generation Flight simulator. We're just being shown a new generation 3 dimensional scenery/terrain engine application that's a quantum leap better than we've seen before, but needs some tuning. They've allowed about another year for that, which we should be able to live with. The rest doesn't need to change very much, because it's almost as good as it ever needs to be. That's why they can reasonably confidently put a date of 2020 on it even if - as JV rather snidely throws in, it could be January or December 2020. Neither of those is very far away, and between now and then I won't be buying another piece of scenery for my P3D to add to the 500GB's worth I already have, because I'm very excited in my belief that this thing is very, very real !!

Just my 2 cents worth.. 

Your 2 cents worth make a lot of sense.😁

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

It’s actually pretty refreshing to see how many people are openly admitting they are excited about some change and ready for something new here. 

So often on forums all we see is hyper negativity about literally anything… I always hope developers don’t use forums to gauge real interest. 

Complaining and negativity is always about 10/1 on Forums it seems like

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, irrics said:

I will take a software subscription for scenery all day long over having to individually purchase regions from OrbX for $30-50 whenever they finally come out and then keep them up-to-date and pay for platform updates and still not have even close to complete earth coverage.

I will too. Goodbye giant SSD's just to hold scenery. But that only gets you the scenery base, and probably just a few included airports. Unless the AI is good enough to extrapolate believable 3D airports from the Bing data. 

The question is -- would a monthly subscription suppress the market for add-ons? It won't for the fanatics, but are there enough people willing to pay for add-ons when they're already paying monthly? Enough to support a healthy add-on market? 

Just speculative questions before we know more.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 minutes ago, irrics said:

It’s actually pretty refreshing to see how many people are openly admitting they are excited about some change and ready for something new here. 

So often on forums all we see is hyper negativity about literally anything…

Even us old farts are ready to move forward. Many of us are ready for P3d Ver 5.0 or even this new MS move if it is not stupid like their last few goat Ropes.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 minutes ago, SquawkModeCharlie said:

Who moved my cheese?

Buy it here

Jokes aside, anyone check any Nostradamus quatrains for insight?.

We dont do jokes here! Got a positive match on Nostradamus though (Century I):

In the third month, at sunrise,
the Boar and the Leopard meet on the battlefield.
The fatigued Leopard looks up to heaven
and sees an eagle playing around the sun.

Its clear as mud, the boar is P3D (pretty ugly but it works), Xplane is the Leopard (beautiful yet a bit derpy) and the eagle is MS Flight Simulator

Would be interesting to see if he predicted a subscription model for MS FS

Edited by Woozie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I will too. Goodbye giant SSD's just to hold scenery. But that only gets you the scenery base, and probably just a few included airports. Unless the AI is good enough to extrapolate believable 3D airports from the Bing data. 

The question is -- would a monthly subscription suppress the market for add-ons? It won't for the fanatics, but are there enough people willing to pay for add-ons when they're already paying monthly? Enough to support a healthy add-on market? 

Just speculative questions before we know more.

Given that the existing market basically only consist of fanatics that are left, I think we’re talking about a massive expansion of the mainstream market and a much larger opportunity than is currently supporting the businesses as is. 

Even with a monthly subscription for base scenery, just an assumption for conversation, it’s hard for me to believe that having Microsoft back in the game with a next generation flight sim title isn’t going to greatly expand the potential for everybody in the marketplace. 

We’ve all just been so conditioned to try to hang onto the past and what is left and hope people can keep it going that I think we are having trouble getting our heads around how awesome it is that they are back and doing something that looks better than anything we have today visually. 

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, irrics said:

So often on forums all we see is hyper negativity about literally anything… I always hope developers don’t use forums to gauge real interest. 

Complaining and negativity is always about 10/1 on Forums it seems like

Agreed,

Very refreshing indeed and like most people here (if not all), I really do not wish anyone ill will, and am thankful for those craftsmen who kept me flight simming with their many excellent add-ons for so many years.

Am looking forward to real change, but thank you for getting me here.

You have made my flight sim life better for it.

Salute!

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Stephen

• Like 2

I mean let’s be honest about regional scenery right now.

Most everyone is either spending hundreds of dollars on it and spreading the cost over time and then having to possibly pay again when a new sim version releases, or they are flat out stealing satellite imagery to make their own.

So people are spending money on storage space for their theft or storage space and a lot of money to buy scenery right now.

A monthly subscription to top end, always up to date, computationally corrected and enhanced scenery straight from Microsoft would be welcome to a huge amount of people I think.