Sign in to follow this  
ukflight

Much support for India but 0 support for the Gulf Coast.

Guest Gordius

1. All disasters are "Domestic" to those that live in the area of the disaster. I am in the UK and it certainly isn't "Domestic" here.2. No matter how hard I try I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like for the people of the areas hit by this devestating weather.3. I must confess that until now I have not considered any kind of donation and thankyou for the "nudge". Now on my way to trawl the net or make some phone calls to find out how to give some money to help. Most of the time I have BBC News 24 on the TV and I do not remember seeing anything on there about where to go to donate although I hope I just missed that announcement.4. If you know somewhere I can donate please post it here? As soon as I find where to donate I wil add a link to that site on my website if anyone else does not know how to give then look there.5. I agree that at least a link to somewhere you could give a donation on this site would be a good thing to see.6. A quote from another site:"President George W Bush, who has cut his holiday two days short, has called on Americans to donate to the Red Cross or other organisations.Damage estimates of more than $25bn suggest it could be the US insurance industry's most expensive natural disaster ever."Some will say that the USA has plenty of money and can look after themselves and I believe they can. The question is are we a planet or lots of individuals? I say a planet (hope you get my drift sorry if you don't) so let's not fight over which country should pay for what but chip in together.7. Thanks for raising the topic.Andrew Brown (Plymouth, England)ROARING THIRTIEShttp://www.gordiusfs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Thanks for you support, Toni.There are still many folks trapped in homes yet and rescue efforts are on going. Even some of the shelters are being evacuated as flood waters rise and food and water can't get in. But you are right in the assesment there are many more resources available even now to our friends down south than there were to the victims of the Tusanmi. There are many lives that will be changed forever. But most will have a better chance for recovery than those in Indonesa last year.Tony=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg

>Gas prices are now $3+ dollars at the pump>and climbing for most Americans. >I couldn't care less about the gas prices.Seeing something like this unfold is eerie,and paying $3 for gas is not a problem compared to thechallenges people face overthere.Also,i'm not gonna post "poor you,you have to pay $3 for gas because your poor citizens were hit by a hurricane",as we,who are very lucky to not have hurricanes,still pay $8 for a gallon,your $3 is a bargain,so count your blessings.You are fortunate,like me,in that we do not have to face the trouble these people are facing,andwill face for the forseeable future.My heart aches for those affected,they're in myprayers,and i wish them Gods protection and blessing,and if gas will be $10,i don't care,as long as you guys are cared for.cheersJP.

I think we here in the US, still think of ourselves as the aid givers and not the aid takers. That may sound weird, but I think everyone just expects us to be able to take care of ourselves and that we have the resources to do it quickly (or should have in our minds anyways).What worries me more than anything is that we have seen no reports from news agencies reporting from any type of field command center. We know the government and other agencies are there, but there doesn't seem to be any hard place for anyone to go and get information on what's going on other than the 1-800 numbers that have been posted.I have seen nothing on casualty collection points, supply points, tent cities for workers and refugees, etc., either.We know that our FEMA and other state OES's knew about the storm well indvance and staged or started to stage supllies and troops, but we're not seeing them. Just a few rescuers in the affected areas.Maybe the media is just reporting the high profile stuff right now, I don't know. It just seems a little weird or maybe I've missed the reports altogether.I do know that when I was in ES, one of the first things to be set up was a media center so the media could broadcast, etc. get briefings and such in order to make the general public feel a little bit better not to mention the people still needing aid.Anyways, that's just a few observations I've made over the last couple of days. I sure hope we don't loose NO.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

My point here was not about post/threads on the topic hidden deep down in Avsim's various form libraries but rather Avsim and other sites actively showing more support by posting links for simmers to send Aid like Andrew Brown mentioned above. Seeing this has affected people in our own community you would think Flightsim sites around the world would at least post links to where simmers could go and donate money if they wanted to help.Like I said above nothing at all is being said...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

"President George W Bush, who has cut his holiday two days shortLol, poor guy, that is the real tragedy. Stupid media reportersJeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Ken Salter is in the Mobile Alabama area.As the storm was building in his area Monday he made the last post I can find.I assume he's out of contact due to loss of power - but wondered if anyone has heard anything?

See that's exactly what I'm talking about... :-hmmm

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon,While I appreciate what you are saying, I feel our country is mostly alone in this.I suggest the folks around the world that want the real news, and not what is being spoon fed them with an agenda to spin it, take a look at the links I have provided in the Hangar Chat Thread.The ignorance that all have been evacuated is a blatant lie. And whatever news org fed you that crap is ignorant beyond belief.Katrina Thread, lots of news in there.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=21316&page=Read these:http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.htmlAnd Thishttp://www.wdsu.com/weather/4913354/detail.htmlThis is the worst natural disaster next to 9/11 that we have experienced, in my opinion, and remember, 9/11 didn't lose a lot of housing.Picture hundreds of miles of coast lines where people lived gone. Picture of a city of over 450,000+ 80%-90% under water for weeks. No Electricity, No water, for weeks, if not months.And that is only New Orleans. Biloxi, Mississippi is pretty much spent, but think of the dozens of small towns that no one has been able to get into yet. Picture Gulfport Ms.,Picture Mobile, Alabama where one of our own Moderators has not checked in yet, (Ken) and hopefully he is ok, but he stayed to ride it out. They have barely been able to collect the deceased, since they are still in SAR mode. In Germany , you have people blaiming Global warming and blaming a single person, (Bush), for a Hurricane. How pathetic is that. Instead of sending aid, or offering to help, these idiots do that. Thanks a lot, that really means a lot to us here.No The silence will be deafening, as it is now from abroad.Some people around the world, like 9/11, will probably be thinking we deserved this.Our country will continue to help other countries in future disasters no matter what, and you know what, that is what separates my country from a lot of others. Freedom to help others even while they spit in our face.***************As far as donations, I am sending mine to The salvation Army, since I can decide what the money is used for, and can segment it specifically for this disaster.Unlike other major organizations fronting for relief money only to use it for something else.You decide where your money goes:http://www.salvationarmyusa.orgYou can also go to any United States Based Wal-Mart and donate there. I urge all that can to do so.****************The Good news is the aid is arriving from around the country, and one Guy is in charge the Director of FEMA. Hopefully they will be able to evacuate the City of New Orleans within the next few days, and the dead can be collected for burial, which may be in the thousands, In my opinion.My Prayers go out for the Victims and their Families in this Tragedy. we will survive, we will rebuild, and we will help others in the future who need our help, even while the Hypocrites demand aid from us and give little themselves.Sonar5

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

BTW - this is from the website of the New Orleans Times-Picayune - the city's leading newspaper: www.nola.com/31/2005, 12:22 p.m. CTBy DANICA KIRKA The Associated Press VIENNA, Austria (AP)

For those thinking how little damage was done, please let us know what amount of death and destruction meets your criteira for helping.Here is the latest: 1:19 P.M. - (AP) Mayor Ray Nagin says at least hundreds of people are dead -- maybe thousands -- in New Orleans.More Updates here:http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest panda234

argh, I knew this would happen. Nobody is thinking there was little damage done. What is being said is that there is not as much damage done as during the tsunami. There has been no attempt to minimize what has happened in New Orleans, in fact, quite the contrary. But in relative terms the damage does not come close. billg