Sign in to follow this  
Hotshotp

Get Xp11 or wait for new MSFS

9 hours ago, jcomm said:

Yes,

that's why I somehow moved to those ww2 sims, or variants, starting with DCS World, then IL-2 Great Battles, and finishing where I am now - War Thunder.

War Thunder is supposedly the closest to MSFS we have in terms of FDM, while IL2 resembles a lot X-Plane's FDM, just fine tuned ...

They all get pretty decent stall & spin ( even in their flat and inverted forms ) behaviour. 

Will FS 2020 bring us that "new" FDM they were working on before MS FLIGHT was "created" and ruined ?

Anyway, I have tried the new FDM features in XP11.40, and I liked most of it, although I didn't find that wake effect particularly interesting, and I wasn't able to notice that new "stall" behaviour Austin talks about in he's videos ( ? ). Probably my preferred cange so far was the wash from heli rotors and the gradient wind near ground ( from 10m down ).

This all being said, each time I watch FS 2020 preview shots / traillers the more I believe it's going to be my Go-To civil flightsim when released... Maybe I can finally settle with a FS 2020 / War Thunder combo...

What happens if MFS does not have the fdm you crave for ?

So il2 is not as good as WT ?  

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

What happens if MFS does not have the fdm you crave for ?

So il2 is not as good as WT ?  

If FS2020 ends up not being as I want it to, I still have XP11... specially now that Austin is tuning it up.

We still, for instance, do not know if FS 2020 will have new rotary wing dynamics, but we already have some really nice choppers in XP11, which will certainly continue to evolve with XP12, so, X-Plane is always a good choice for flying rotaries.

As for WT vs IL-2, and btw DCS, there are so so so many details to compare... It's not only the flight dynamics, but rather the playabiity, envolvement, thrill that WT brings to a gammer like me 🙂 ( but I only use it in Simulator Full Realistic Controls mode ! and Enduring Confrontations... )

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

42 minutes ago, jcomm said:

If FS2020 ends up not being as I want it to, I still have XP11... specially now that Austin is tuning it up.

We still, for instance, do not know if FS 2020 will have new rotary wing dynamics, but we already have some really nice choppers in XP11, which will certainly continue to evolve with XP12, so, X-Plane is always a good choice for flying rotaries.

As for WT vs IL-2, and btw DCS, there are so so so many details to compare... It's not only the flight dynamics, but rather the playabiity, envolvement, thrill that WT brings to a gammer like me 🙂 ( but I only use it in Simulator Full Realistic Controls mode ! and Enduring Confrontations... )

don't know what Full realistic controls mode means , nor i have or want WT.  

@It's not only the flight dynamics@ r u sure ? but it's a debate for other time , back to the topic

Edited by HumptyDumpty

MS just sent out a link to register for the alpha preview.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

MS just sent out a link to register for the alpha preview.

I filled it, day one - Sept 12th 🙂

Looking fwd to get selected, but I guess it's going to be far from true... Well, but I did make part of the FSX beta 🙂 in those good old days...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 8/14/2019 at 1:13 AM, HumptyDumpty said:

A stupid question. 

no one has or seen the actual MFS no one can tell you. that 1 minute video don't tell you anything.

I would go with XP11 

got an email a few mins ago...Alpha testers needed

Microsoft Flight Simulator will be taking off for its first public test flight soon, in the form of its first external technical alpha. Recruitment for the alpha has already kicked off, with members of the Insider programme able to register by filling out a qualification survey

All you need to join the Insider programme is a Microsoft account, and then you can sign up here. As well as alpha and, eventually, beta registration, Insiders get early glimpses of the game through exclusive videos and screenshots, along with access to the roadmap and additional game details. 

Insiders who sign up for the technical alpha aren't guaranteed a spot, as Microsoft will be picking pilots based on the survey and the DxDiag that you have to send. If you don't get picked this round, however, you might still get a chance to play when Microsoft adds more players or hosts other alphas and betas. 

If you're a streamer or want to show off Microsoft Flight Simulator to your friends, be aware that everyone needs to sign an NDA that prohibits sharing details, photos, videos or audio recordings of the game. Once Microsoft releases information, you can then share it. 

More details on the technical alpha will be available on September 19, when Microsoft publishes the alpha timeline. Expect to find out when you'll be able to hop into the cockpit then. It should be very soon, though, as the timeline for the second alpha will be posted on October 10, presumably after the first has finished. 

34 minutes ago, Arthur42417 said:

But you already have to pay a 5 € subscription fee per month, to be able to get access to the insider program ?!  Is this correct ?

Three times now I've tried to sign up for the 'Insiders' - get to the 'yes yes accept' then the perpetual wheel of dots - finally 'an error has occurred, try again later'.  Kind of a 'deja-vu' thing.

• Like 1

FYI, the news about signing up for Tech Alpha Insider is all over the web, not just here on Avsim and flight-related sites.

I saw it today on Rock Paper Shotgun (a PC gaming site), and it showed up twice in the "Discover" feed from sites I've never heard of, on my Android phone. They're casting a wide net.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 hours ago, Arthur42417 said:

Microsoft Flight Simulator will be taking off for its first public test flight soon, in the form of its first external technical alpha. Recruitment for the alpha has already kicked off, with members of the Insider programme able to register by filling out a qualification survey

All you need to join the Insider programme is a Microsoft account, and then you can sign up here. As well as alpha and, eventually, beta registration, Insiders get early glimpses of the game through exclusive videos and screenshots, along with access to the roadmap and additional game details. 

Insiders who sign up for the technical alpha aren't guaranteed a spot, as Microsoft will be picking pilots based on the survey and the DxDiag that you have to send. If you don't get picked this round, however, you might still get a chance to play when Microsoft adds more players or hosts other alphas and betas. 

If you're a streamer or want to show off Microsoft Flight Simulator to your friends, be aware that everyone needs to sign an NDA that prohibits sharing details, photos, videos or audio recordings of the game. Once Microsoft releases information, you can then share it. 

More details on the technical alpha will be available on September 19, when Microsoft publishes the alpha timeline. Expect to find out when you'll be able to hop into the cockpit then. It should be very soon, though, as the timeline for the second alpha will be posted on October 10, presumably after the first has finished. 

no interest in this sim until it's final release.  thanks though.

Here are two new screens. I'd say those clouds look like a finished X-Enviro and then some. The 3D grass doesn't hurt either, but I think it's something X-Plane could easily add.

flight-01.jpg

flight-02.jpg

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

The 3D grass doesn't hurt either, but I think it's something X-Plane could easily add.

Yes, but the issue is that they don't seem to show much interest in doing so. The sim has so much potential, especially since XP11, but it's just sat there in the scenery department and sticking to backward compatibility. Trees and vegetation are very limited and could do with an overhaul, same with the water. It's stuff they could do, but up to this point has been a very low priority.

To compete with what I can see in the previews from MS scenery-wise, X-Plane would need to:

a) Allow much more powerful vegetation that is more procedural. The colours can be changed blended with aerial imagery as opposed to the other way round. No more self-shadowing cardboard cutouts. Grass could blend in with the texture it's placed on, etc...

b) Improve the autogen system beyond placing pre-made houses or flat roofed facades. If the facade system was upgraded to allow custom roof colours (not relying on textures) and not just flat, repeating textures, then it could easily compete on this department

c) Improve the water. That nasty repeating pattern is still there since XP11.0b1... 

I think we'll see clouds that match sooner than we will the scenery enhancements, probably from a third-party. As it stands, we don't know anything about how weather is actually simulated in MSFS2020 and it could all just be eye-candy.

It's obvious that X-Plane is seen more as an actual "flight simulator" than a world terrain simulator, but eye-candy and pretty scenery could go a long way to making the sim more enjoyable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers everyone. No FSX trolls posting bad things about x-plane. I spent a lot of money on FS9 and FSX. And now using X-Plane 11 and all the free gateway scenery and all the free scenery at x_plane.org, along with a free program to make new scenery.

The best thing about X-Plane 11 is the aircraft flys realistic. I have to use the check list to get the engines to start and make sure pressurization system is on so I do not black out.

The new microsoft flight simulator will be filled with a bunch of eye candy and the plane will not fly right and you will be paying out a ton of money for all the add ons.

X-Plane 11 is a no brainer.

Well said tonywob. Not a big eye candy person, I want the planes to fly in a realistic manner. X-plane 11 default scenery is good enough for me.

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

The 3D grass doesn't hurt either, but I think it's something X-Plane could easily add.

It's obvious that X-Plane is seen more as an actual "flight simulator" than a world terrain simulator, but eye-candy and pretty scenery could go a long way to making the sim more enjoyable.

Edited by leon310
Adding a quote.

The new microsoft flight simulator will be filled with a bunch of eye candy and the plane will not fly right and you will be paying out a ton of money for all the add ons.

Wow, can you please share the source of all these revelations?

Dave.