Sign in to follow this  
Hotshotp

Get Xp11 or wait for new MSFS

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Forkboy can pull it off (Autogen overlays), why wouldn't Laminar be able to do it.

Easily, he didn't do anything difficult apart from running Ortho4XP and generating some orthos and using Laminar Research's default autogen and uploaded it. Anyone can do this themselves if they have the time

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

What I'm really curious about with the new MSFS, is what does it look like under 1000 feet of altitude away from the cities? And what does it look like at ground level? It looks spectacular from higher altitude, but any good ortho-based terrain system with sexy lighting and clouds can do that.

This is my thoughts. If you put decent lighting and clouds, it could make even the dullest of scenery look spectacular, and this I believe is where LR should focus their efforts. Anything on top of that scenery-wise is just icing on the cake, but I believe this is where they could compete rather than trying to get streamed aerial-imagery/autogen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Slightly different perspective. I have been using X-Plane extensively for the past few months during my real world instrument training. The reason is simply that XP offers an very well modeled (and appears to be continually developing) GNS 400/500W and G1000 right out of the box. No add-on required, but easily updatable with the most recent Navigraph AIRAC if you have a subscription. I can't tell you what a huge value that has been to me as more of the IFR world trends toward GPS as the primary means of navigation.

As ground breaking as MFS is going to be in terms of world simulation (and I truly believe it will be) it remains to be seen what level of system depth with be available at initial release. It think it will get there, but as long as XP fills that gap, I'll keep using it no matter what the outside world looks like ('cause I fly around mostly with the panel only view or in the clouds...which I actually liked the old ugly cloud puffs better than the current version in terms of flying through them)

• Like 2

Chris

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

What I'm really curious about with the new MSFS, is what does it look like under 1000 feet of altitude away from the cities? And what does it look like at ground level? It looks spectacular from higher altitude, but any good ortho-based terrain system with sexy lighting and clouds can do that.

There are several clips of low altitude flying among the b-roll videos made public. There's in particular a clip of a short final / landing viewed from under the belly (IIRC) and it looks very nice. I think close up detail like 3D grass should make it nice at ground level.

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

This is my thoughts. If you put decent lighting and clouds, it could make even the dullest of scenery look spectacular, and this I believe is where LR should focus their efforts. Anything on top of that scenery-wise is just icing on the cake, but I believe this is where they could compete rather than trying to get streamed aerial-imagery/autogen

Completely agree. Maybe some MSFS enthusiast would laugh at this, but in many of the clips with clear skies, MSFS looks _remarkably_ similar (I'd dare say almost identical) to a souped up XP with high quality ortho scenery and post processing (X-Vision, etc ). But in other conditions it looks vastly better because of superior lighting, atmosphere, clouds, precipitation and ground detail. So as you said that is where LR should focus at. And significant performance improvement as well, because MFS seems to promise to do quite good there too. And XP could have the advantage of ATC/AI as well, but those too need to be heavily expanded. But will LR have the resources and skills to do all of that? In 12 months or so? Hmmm...

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

The main benefit of having XP is multi platform, so even if MFS takes away a lot many users there are Mac / linux users you would just might stick with XP and also ofc windows users.

But i still strongly feel that if a simmer is going to buy  MFS i am sure they just might also buy a 2nd alternative like we all do.

And yes as Murmur mentioned it can look quite similar to MFS with some tweaks and addons.  Current XP11 has an improved cloud visuals def.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

14 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

And yes as Murmur mentioned it can look quite similar to MFS with some tweaks and addons.  Current XP11 has an improved cloud visuals def.

Well I disagree here 😉 not even close gentlemen... But wait and see 😎

But it's still a long way to the end of 2020...

Edited by awf

André

57 minutes ago, awf said:

But it's still a long way to the end of 2020...

Ok

How about night lights 😁 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

4 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

The main benefit of having XP is multi platform, so even if MFS takes away a lot many users there are Mac / linux users you would just might stick with XP and also ofc windows users.

One reason why I bought XP and why my Linux installations now get more usage time than Windows. Linux compatibility has even become a go/nogo item for XP add-ons. It truly is a great moneysaver.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

4 hours ago, awf said:

P7dKe6V.png

jOknczQ.png

ZaW1sly.png

Mja1oTK.png

i7XqhmK.png

6OqTiX1.png

K2kMP51.png

52gles4.png

aoNytGN.png

• Like 6

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

Thanks for taking the effort, however I have a serious good looking x_vision install of XP myself 😉 and the rest of the stuff... (unfortunately i don't have 60 layers of detail stuff in the skies ;-))

But I still disagree, nevertheless great shots looks like a lot of fun there in the virtual skies...

For me personal I don't rule anything out, have now also two full blown sims each with there own strengths.

Edited by awf
  • Like 1

André

Im all for MS 2020 if they can deliver what XP does today, im not talking just the world, but what XP lacks the most, Clouds/weather/atmosphere, that is terrible today, and dont come XEnviro on me, i have had it since it came out, not an option.

and support for cockpit builders, there are so many hardware makers today such AS realsimgear, virtualfly, and many many other, they need to be supported, the same with pilotedge, and a way to share cockpit flights with Friends like the upcoming shared cockpit from flyjsim, and of course VR. without these things XP11 will still be my main simulator but i will buy 2020 AS i do with just about every simulator coming out, but to compete with XP as a more serious sim they need to have these things in place. but the sim is looking gobsmacking good, so if these things are in from day one i think XP is going to have a very hard time competing.

9 hours ago, awf said:

Thanks for taking the effort, however I have a serious good looking x_vision install of XP myself 😉 and the rest of the stuff (truearth etc..)... (unfortunately i don't have 60 layers of detail stuff in the skies ;-))

But I still disagree, nevertheless great shots looks like a lot of fun there in the virtual skies...

For me personal I don't rule anything out, have now also two full blown sims each with there own strengths.

André

The main question seems to be - has Microsoft found secret way to make flight simulation mainstream? When there are 100+ developers working for 5 years and petabytes of Bing map data then then there should be very serious businessplan also. For last 10+ years flight simulation has been niche of niche of gaming, Microsoft FS2020 does seems to be different.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:24 PM, mcmini said:

I got it, and it's very nice!

Glad you are enjoying it!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020