Sign in to follow this  
Cyrex1984

MSFS2020 Engine?

Wich engine do you think the new flightsim will be buildt on?

To me it looks like its either Unigine or Unity with Simul's TrueSky plugin. On Simul webpage you can see one of the partners using truesky is Microsoft Game Studios.

No it will not be Unigine for sure, look at the comments here (reply from Unigine 2 months ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgwuy2kvdeE

MS team seems to use their internal technology, which is similar in some cases with UNIGINE 2 Sim. There is a number of other professional flight simulators powered by UNIGINE now.

But they might have used TrueSky for the clouds indeed, although I've never seen such a great implementation before anywhere. I guess the rest is a custom engine, maybe using a library or two.  

5 minutes ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

No it will not be Unigine for sure, look at the comments here (reply from Unigine 2 months ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgwuy2kvdeE

But they might have used TrueSky for the clouds indeed, although I've never seen such a great implementation before anywhere. I guess the rest is a custom engine, maybe using a library or two.  

Even if Microsoft are using Unigine i dont think the guys from Unigine are aloud to tell it to the public. Its all about privacy.

9 minutes ago, Cyrex1984 said:

Even if Microsoft are using Unigine i dont think the guys from Unigine are aloud to tell it to the public. Its all about privacy.

No, but then they would probably refrain from making any comment whether or not MS is using Unigine, in the comments they clearly state MS seems to be using internal technology. If you look through the comments of other Unigine video's you can also find that it isn't really optimized for world coverage and if I remember correctly they do not have a round earth model yet (but it is in production). 

I also think it's an internal engine, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew S

FSX or MS Flight. and I would think it would be the latter. I think it's crazy to believe it's a "new" engine. Be working on it for years.

3 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

FSX or MS Flight. and I would think it would be the latter. I think it's crazy to believe it's a "new" engine. Be working on it for years.

Yep, IMO they are using the FSX engine, it's the reason why they reacquired the licence from Dovetail, because they also got all the improvements that Dovetail made to the engine (just read why PMDG rejected acquiring the FSX licence years ago, you'll understand what's going on).

Matthew S

I wasn't intending for my opinion to be a negative. I personally believe it would be a good thing to be based of one of the two. Preferably flight.I know nothing. 🙂

9 minutes ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

It's built on the Flight Sim World engine, which is essentially ESP on steroids. 

Ok, so it's not a new sim then which explains why MS reacquired the licence from Dovetail.

Matthew S

6 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

It's built on the Flight Sim World engine, which is essentially ESP on steroids. 

This is pure speculation and there is no proof of it anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

33 minutes ago, france89 said:

This is pure speculation and there is no proof of it anywhere

Except that MS reacquired the licence from Dovetail games and according to a post by PMDG (in their forums) it means that MS are able to use all the improvements that Dovetail made.

Seems likely FS2020 is based substantively on FSW.

Matthew S

16 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Except that MS reacquired the licence from Dovetail games and according to a post by PMDG (in their forums) it means that MS are able to use all the improvements that Dovetail made.

Seems likely FS2020 is based substantively on FSW.

Which is more speculation done by PMDG, which has nothing to do with Dovetail and i don't see why they would know the terms of the deal between DTG and Microsoft itself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

41 minutes ago, france89 said:

Which is more speculation done by PMDG, which has nothing to do with Dovetail and i don't see why they would know the terms of the deal between DTG and Microsoft itself.

Because PMDG were considering taking up the licence BUT decided against it because according to the terms of the licence MS could take back the licence at any time and PMDG would also grant MS the rights to use whatever improvements they made to the code.

Read about it in their forums.

So, guess what?  MS have now taken back the licence from Dovetail and it's now the basis of FS2020, IMO.

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S