Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

VR Inclusion in MSFS

10 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Quoted for educational purposes😉

Are you a bot?  You keep posting the same thing, and you clearly can't detect sarcasm so...

Just a quick question. Do you find it hard to use VR while having physical control surfaces? Do you end up using click spots in the flight deck instead?

I think VR has its place...maybe a VR addon or for the Xbox...but I would rather not have any of the sim resources be allocated to VR development out of the box...just focus on creating an amazing sim that we can build cockpits around. There are so many affordable options available now that a home cockpit is not huge cost.

31 minutes ago, Flybynumbers said:

I think VR has its place...maybe a VR addon or for the Xbox...but I would rather not have any of the sim resources be allocated to VR development out of the box...just focus on creating an amazing sim that we can build cockpits around. There are so many affordable options available now that a home cockpit is not huge cost.

That's somewhat laughable. I fly DCS. I built an A-10c cockpit with triple 40" monitors and a 4th 27" touchscreen monitor for HELIOS. Used TrackIR  I even built the side console cabinets, laser cut and assembled all the switch panels. It was a thing of beauty. 

Three weeks after purchasing a Samsung Odyssey I took the whole thing apart. Sold the monitors and put the rest of it in the garage. Except for the HOTAS of course.

Fly in VR 1 time with a current gen headset and enough machine to drive it and you will never be able to go back. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Some people might not understand why others are so full of anxiety when they hear MSFS will not have VR at launch. Aside from the love for VR and the wish to appreciate the unprecedented beauty of the new MSFS in its freshest flavor, there is one serious concern: VR is more a thing of infrastructure, and it need to be incorporated as early as possible. Technically it might be more difficult to implement at the later stage of development.

Take the example of Star Citizen. They have not planned VR from start, and the complete scheme is designed for traditional view and control, and we know it's much more difficult to add VR now.

Another example is Aerofly FS2. They implemented VR from the very beginning, and it becomes very VR friendly, which is its best selling point.

Edited by dongdongliushui
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thick8 said:

That's somewhat laughable. I fly DCS. I built an A-10c cockpit with triple 40" monitors and a 4th 27" touchscreen monitor for HELIOS. Used TrackIR  I even built the side console cabinets, laser cut and assembled all the switch panels. It was a thing of beauty. 

Three weeks after purchasing a Samsung Odyssey I took the whole thing apart. Sold the monitors and put the rest of it in the garage. Except for the HOTAS of course.

Fly in VR 1 time with a current gen headset and enough machine to drive it and you will never be able to go back. 

Why would you need trackIR if you built a cockpit? If you want realism then build a full motion simulator with wrap around view...if you fly that you will never go back to VR...unless realism isn't important to you.   Try hitting an approach wearing a VR helmet...lol. Bottom line, pilots don't wear VR helmets and push virtual buttons while flying...so VR is not realism...it is immersive. 

Edited by Flybynumbers

5 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

Why would you need trackIR if you built a cockpit? If you want realism then build a full motion simulator with wrap around view...if you fly that you will never go back to VR...unless realism isn't important to you.   Try hitting an approach wearing a VR helmet...lol. Bottom line, pilots don't wear VR helmets and push virtual buttons while flying...so VR is not realism...it is immersive. 

Are you seriously that limited in thinking?

Most of our goals are to build full motion rigs on top of our VR setups.

Who the hell needs to waste money on more clunky monitors and expensive control panels that need a whole corner section of a house?

When we can have this?

• Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

"In April 2019, the U.S. Air Force launched a Pilot Training Next class with 30 students. Using VR headsets and advanced AI biometrics instead of traditional multi-million-dollar flight simulators, 13 pilots were certified in just four months. The usual pilot training system takes about a year. The VR flight training cost came in at $1,000 per unit, instead of the usual cost of $4.5 million for a legacy simulator. Students were able to fully immerse themselves in a cockpit using an HTC Vive virtual reality headset while biometrics monitored heart rate and pupil measurement – giving flight instructors an accurate reading of just how immersed students were in the learning experience – something not possible with traditional flight simulators. Another groundbreaking part of VR flying was the ability to change up one cockpit for another – taking just 10 seconds for a student to go from flying a T-6 trainer to an F-22. The learning experience was further enhanced by allowing students to analyze a flight that had been captured and uploaded into the VR simulator."

https://www.airchartermideast.ae/about-us/news-features/blog/are-vr-flight-simulators-the-future-of-pilot-training

• Like 1

Be aware, if we get VR, it's highly likely to be Microsoft's WMR, not native Oculus or OpenVR (Vive and others). Non WMR HMD's might have additional performance overheads.

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

For me, at least, VR is a high essential for flight sims. I tried Track IR twice before giving up on it (three diopers of astigmatism make side view essentially useless for interpreting instruments, and TrackIR depends heavily on the ability to read in your peripheral vision) and I'm frankly surprised at the sheer vehemence I'm seeing from some posters arguing on the purported 'uselessness' of VR. Having both eyes is of value. While the technology is not mature, it is still a gamechanger for flight sims.

I probably won't be flying in 2020 until they implement VR support. That said, I expect it will be coming, sooner than we think, and I would be unsurprised to see it come with XBox VR support as well. What the dev said was, they have seen many bad implementations of VR, and want to make sure they can do a good implementation before they put it into FS2020. I expect if that is the route they take, FS2020 will be the killer app for VR adoption, but we shall see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

Are you seriously that limited in thinking?

Most of our goals are to build full motion rigs on top of our VR setups.

Who the hell needs to waste money on more clunky monitors and expensive control panels that need a whole corner section of a house?

When we can have this?

Lol good luck hitting an instrument approach in IMC conditions...he is stick flying doing barrel rolls just like I've been saying..VR is for gamers to point and fly around. Its ok for vfr flying where you don't use instruments...same for driving...but not practical for IMC flying. 

If you want realism then you need to build a physical cockpit...and yes that does include having a CONTROL panel lol because pilots don't push imaginary buttons.

Edited by Flybynumbers

2 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

"In April 2019, the U.S. Air Force launched a Pilot Training Next class with 30 students. Using VR headsets and advanced AI biometrics instead of traditional multi-million-dollar flight simulators, 13 pilots were certified in just four months. The usual pilot training system takes about a year. The VR flight training cost came in at $1,000 per unit, instead of the usual cost of $4.5 million for a legacy simulator. Students were able to fully immerse themselves in a cockpit using an HTC Vive virtual reality headset while biometrics monitored heart rate and pupil measurement – giving flight instructors an accurate reading of just how immersed students were in the learning experience – something not possible with traditional flight simulators. Another groundbreaking part of VR flying was the ability to change up one cockpit for another – taking just 10 seconds for a student to go from flying a T-6 trainer to an F-22. The learning experience was further enhanced by allowing students to analyze a flight that had been captured and uploaded into the VR simulator."

https://www.airchartermideast.ae/about-us/news-features/blog/are-vr-flight-simulators-the-future-of-pilot-training

Developing vfr pilots sure lol...

2 hours ago, smoothchat said:

Be aware, if we get VR, it's highly likely to be Microsoft's WMR, not native Oculus or OpenVR (Vive and others). Non WMR HMD's might have additional performance overheads.

That would be false, the sim was developed using various HMDs outside of WMR also. This was verified by Belgoede.

Next...

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

17 hours ago, daveinca2000 said:

Sadly, non VR users won’t get it.  They will come on here and extol how wonderful Track IR and a 4K monitor is. VR (proper VR) needs to be experienced. 

Dude lol...we get it...VR is fun to fly around in for about 10 minutes...but it is not suited for instrument flying which is a HUGE part of simming. If you want realism then you build a cockpit with a physical panel...like in a REAL plane.

Edited by Flybynumbers

20 minutes ago, Flybynumbers said:

Dude lol...we get it...VR is fun to fly around in for about 10 minutes...but it is not suited for instrument flying which is a HUGE part of simming. If you want realism then you build a cockpit with a physical panel...like in a REAL plane.

Are you that bored?

The guy posted that 17 hours ago.

You’re arguing with yourself at this point.

Sounding like a broken record let it go man.

• Upvote 1

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram