Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

Preview Of Non-Photogrammetry City Center?

Does anyone know if there's been a preview, either screenshot or video, of flying over a non-photogrammetry city center?

We all know photogrammetry covered cities are going to look great.
Non-photogrammetry residential areas look good as machine learning is picking up roof colour, roof style, house style and footprint and creating some highly plausible autogen.

I don't recall seeing any previews of a a non-photogrammetry city center though. I'm interested to know how they look.

There's surely a limit to what ML autogen can do for the highly bespoke buildings you see in a city center.
There's also a limit to how many hand modelled POIs they can add.

• Upvote 2

Wasn't there a city and airport featured in that huge storm over the ocean screenshot?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Wasn't there a city and airport featured in that huge storm over the ocean screenshot?

I think that was Nassau, and true,  I dont think that was photogrametry . But it was pretty much at a distance too

Edited by Casualcas

1 hour ago, nickhod said:

Does anyone know if there's been a preview, either screenshot or video, of flying over a non-photogrammetry city center?

We all know photogrammetry covered cities are going to look great.
Non-photogrammetry residential areas look good as machine learning is picking up roof colour, roof style, house style and footprint and creating some highly plausible autogen.

I don't recall seeing any previews of a a non-photogrammetry city center though. I'm interested to know how they look.

There's surely a limit to what ML autogen can do for the highly bespoke buildings you see in a city center.
There's also a limit to how many hand modelled POIs they can add.

This is how Paris looks:

err8Zzk.jpg

You can also look on the video they sent to the content creators, FSElite channel on youtube published the full video, some cities shown there aren't covered by photogrammetry like: São Paulo - Brazil, London and Lisbon - Portugal.

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

1 hour ago, ca_metal said:

This is how Paris looks:

Looks about equivalent in details to Orbx Netherlands for Aerofly FS 2 (but the building textures seem quite low-res) Blowing up the image also shows several areas with no buildings.

A tentative conclusion is that Orbx and others could probably compete well in high quality city and airport creation for this sim....

Especially as they would not be paying for orthos, which is a lot of the cost.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

20 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Looks about equivalent in details to Orbx Netherlands for Aerofly FS 2 (but the building textures seem quite low-res) Blowing up the image also shows several areas with no buildings.

A tentative conclusion is that Orbx and others could probably compete well in high quality city and airport creation for this sim....

Especially as they would not be paying for orthos, which is a lot of the cost.

I totally agree, coincidently I was just thinking the same thing! Equivalent in detail to Orbx, but with all of my Orbx products, plus FSDT, Fly Tampa...etc. Weather addons, and so on, I'd say equivalent or less in some areas.

Mike.     

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

What about restricted areas that are not displayed in google maps and bing like Military bases etc....

Will there be black voids in restricted areas?

Chris Camp

15 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

What about restricted areas that are not displayed in google maps and bing like Military bases etc....

Will there be black voids in restricted areas?

somebody from ign asked the devs about that.

“In general, whenever an area is blurred in Bing, or is otherwise restricted, we will use procedural techniques to fill in the blanks. Those areas won’t be fully authentic, but we will have something that generally fits into the area.”

article here: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/08/how-will-microsoft-flight-simulator-deal-with-what-governments-dont-want-you-to-see

cheers,

-andy crosby

• Like 1

London:

On the left you can see parts of central London. There are some hand modelled buildings such as Tower Bridge, Tower of London and the O2, the rest is autogen. In the City there are some generic high-rise buildings instead of iconic buildings such as the Gherkin, in Canary Wharf there are no skyscrapers at all. All in all I think the autogen looks okay from that altitude, although those bright tower blocks seem to be a bit too dominant and not very typical for London. Also, there seems to be an issue with autogen draw distance (although that could be due to the poor quality of the image). To make it look more realistic they should at least add the skyscraper clusters in the City and Canary Wharf, otherwise approaching ‎EGLC will only be half the fun. I’m sure they will.

YwqJ5cM.jpg

Lisbon:The city centre is obscured by the clouds but we still get a thorough impression. Here the autogen seems to fit much better than in the London footage. This looks fantastic, almost as if it was photogrammetry. The higher altitude might also add to this impression.

TiJq6YJ.jpg

I think non-photogrammetry scenery looks awesome, especially in rural areas. The challenge will be adapting the various architectural styles, especially in such diverse regions as Europe, in city centres in particular.

This could be something for 3rd party devs. The only problem I see is that Bing regularly update their imagery and 3d data. Imagine some 3rd party company invests a lot of time and money in modelling a city and then 2 weeks after the release Bing come up with a photogrammetry version😅. Quite risky.   

All in all I think non-photogrammetry cities generally look great compared to what we’re used to, especially for a default scenery, still they come nowhere near photogrammetric cities. Let’s hope Bing pushes on with updating their data.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 4

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Thanks for the screenshots. 👍

No doubt lots of hand placed scenery in Paris and London (and they look good because of it).

Lisbon is probably more representative of an average city, and it still looks good, so well done to Asobo 😀

I agree that scenery developers will have to look at far flung places that wont realistically have photogrammetry any time soon.
The photogrammetry coverage of Google is pretty formidable now and I would expect that, given time, MS will throw money at catching up.

Pilots here may know, what is the minimum altitude  an aircraft is authorized to fly over a city ? Several thousands feet I would guess.  I mean we need convincing views at some altitude not total realism at ground level, except in the last mile of an approach maybe l. This is not a walking simulator, a driving simulator  but a flight simulator after all !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

26 minutes ago, domkle said:

Pilots here may know, what is the minimum altitude  an aircraft is authorized to fly over a city ? Several thousands feet I would guess.  I mean we need convincing views at some altitude not total realism at ground level, except in the last mile of an approach maybe l. This is not a walking simulator, a driving simulator  but a flight simulator after all !

Agreed, but on some approaches you fly relatively low over a city. On the EGLC Rwy 9 approach for instance you can clearly see many of London's landmarks and on final you pass the Canary Wharf skyline cluster rather closely. Without these landmars this particular approach wouldn't be that much fun. I'm sure there are similar other examples. But as I said, I'm sure they'll polish the scenery up over the coming months, especially in popular cities such as London and Paris.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Totally agree. Some details are a must on the lines of approach. Now, I lived for some years in the heart of Paris (7th district), do I need to see the lovely facade of my building ?  

There is of course an exception (every rule has one !), If I take off with an emergency heli from  downtown Paris. But do we need the whole shebang from this particular case ? 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, domkle said:

Unless you are simulating an air-ambulance or police helicopter.

• Like 1

Just now, Grindathotte said:

Unless you are simulating an air-ambulance or police helicopter.

Coincidentally, I believe Microsoft said no copters will be included for a while.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5