Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Evros

Nvidia Image Sharpening

Recommended Posts

So the subject title was released with latest GeForce drivers from Nvidia. I enabled it for P3D 4.5H2 with the default setting to start with, which are Sharpen: 0.50 and Ignore Film Grain: 0.17, and I have to say the I like what I see. At the departure airport I saw a tiny bit of aliasing on very thin surfaces like GSX jetway handles(subject of 'Sharpen' value)), but overall it looks great. Looking down at the terrain from FL340 is noticably improved and looks a lot sharper. I will play around with the values and see if I can find a sweet spot that suits me better, but even at default settings, I find it very nice. Can't observe any hardware impact from using this feature.

Just wanted to get some thoughts of people who have also tried it out and if maybe you also have your favorite setting value to share.

Official info and more on it here.

Edited by Evros
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm following this.  Interested how this differs from AA, and how it effects performance.  


9700k | Maximus XI Hero| 32gb DDR4 3000 |EVGA FTW3 3090 | 1tb EVO Plus 970 and 500GB M2+3TB HDD | 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors | Corsair RM1000x |  240MM AIO.| MFG Crosswind | T16000M Stick | Saitek Throttle Quad | Skalarki MCDU and FCU | Saitek Radio Panel

Share this post


Link to post

I use it in conjunction with application controlled 4xSSAA. It can actually create some aliasing as it sharpens the image, but at value of 0.50, it doesn't really bother me as it is noticeable only on very few surfaces. Reducing the sharpening a little bit will also eliminate the aliasing. I guess the strength of effects are subject to preference and particular platform environment. Enabling Sharpening globally can cause really weird behavior in other applications, so I recommend you enable it on program basis. 

Edited by Evros

Share this post


Link to post

have you done any comparison screenshots yet?


9700k | Maximus XI Hero| 32gb DDR4 3000 |EVGA FTW3 3090 | 1tb EVO Plus 970 and 500GB M2+3TB HDD | 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors | Corsair RM1000x |  240MM AIO.| MFG Crosswind | T16000M Stick | Saitek Throttle Quad | Skalarki MCDU and FCU | Saitek Radio Panel

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Evros said:

So the subject title was released with latest GeForce drivers from Nvidia. I enabled it for P3D 4.5H2 with the default setting to start with, which are Sharpen: 0.50 and Ignore Film Grain: 0.17, and I have to say the I like what I see. At the departure airport I saw a tiny bit of aliasing on very thin surfaces like GSX jetway handles(subject of 'Sharpen' value)), but overall it looks great. Looking down at the terrain from FL340 is noticably improved and looks a lot sharper. I will play around with the values and see if I can find a sweet spot that suits me better, but even at default settings, I find it very nice. Can't observe any hardware impact from using this feature.

Just wanted to get some thoughts of people who have also tried it out and if maybe you also have your favorite setting value to share.

Thanks for the heads up, downloading the 441.08 driver atm.

I've been running reshade for years using the following shaders.

  • Clarity
  • Lightroom
  • LumaSharpen
  • Deband

It will be interesting to see how NVidia stacks up.

Cheers


Ryzen 2700X clocked to 4.2 Ghz, 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970 and 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Nvida 1070 Ti clocked to 2 Ghz

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Artwork

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, micstatic said:

have you done any comparison screenshots yet?

I really don't have much eye for photography, but I will try to take some shots a bit later that would present the difference.

 

24 minutes ago, Rogen said:

Thanks for the heads up, downloading the 441.08 driver atm.

I've been running reshade for years using the following shaders.

  • Clarity
  • Lightroom
  • LumaSharpen
  • Deband

It will be interesting to see how NVidia stacks up.

Cheers

I tried to ReShade working in v4, but it was behaving all kinds of crazy so unfortunately I had to ditch the program. For as much as I used it, I most liked sharpening effects, so I am rather glad to see those implemented natively.

In fact, with that same driver version, Nvidia also added native support for ReShade profiles. I haven't dug in to it any deeper now, but I understand that it should bring up reshade panel with alt+F3, but when I press it in P3D, it says "A supported game is required to use this feature". Maybe there is a way to enable it so I will look further.

Edited by Evros

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Evros said:

I tried to ReShade working in v4, but it was behaving all kinds of crazy so unfortunately I had to ditch the program. For as much as I used it, I most liked sharpening effects, so I am rather glad to see those implemented natively.

In fact, with that same driver version, Nvidia also added native support for ReShade profiles. I haven't dug in to it any deeper now, but I understand that it should bring up reshade panel with alt+F3, but when I press it in P3D, it says "A supported game is required to use this feature". Maybe there is a way to enable it so I will look further.

 

With the later P3D versions LM inroduced hardware acceleration on the UI which breaks Reshade as well as some screen recording software.

All good with hf2 though, there is now a config setting to control.

[USERINTERFACE]

// v4.5 Set UIHardwareAcceleration from True (the default) to False to enable reshade use.
UIHardwareAcceleration=False

Then for myself the Reshade UI is navigated by using the keyboard as the mouse has issues (which I think is more of a Reshade prob as it did work fine in earlier versions of reshade).

 

As for NVidea supporting reshade injection, it'll probably need to be listed in the NVida Experience (as supported) which I don't install as the only thing I used it for was screen recording and it wasn't much good at that, plus required a logged in account @ NVidia - since moved to Action! for screen recording and it is *much* better.

Cheers

 


Ryzen 2700X clocked to 4.2 Ghz, 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970 and 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Nvida 1070 Ti clocked to 2 Ghz

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Artwork

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Rogen said:

 

With the later P3D versions LM inroduced hardware acceleration on the UI which breaks Reshade as well as some screen recording software.

All good with hf2 though, there is now a config setting to control.

[USERINTERFACE]

// v4.5 Set UIHardwareAcceleration from True (the default) to False to enable reshade use.
UIHardwareAcceleration=False

Then for myself the Reshade UI is navigated by using the keyboard as the mouse has issues (which I think is more of a Reshade prob as it did work fine in earlier versions of reshade).

 

As for NVidea supporting reshade injection, it'll probably need to be listed in the NVida Experience (as supported) which I don't install as the only thing I used it for was screen recording and it wasn't much good at that, plus required a logged in account @ NVidia - since moved to Action! for screen recording and it is *much* better.

Cheers

 

I did not know this. Thanks! I will give ReShade another go at some point and see how it goes. I do use Experience for driver updates and it's overlay for FPS readout. I know that for some, updating drivers via Experience causes issues, but it has always worked fine for me.

Share this post


Link to post

Right, so I took some in-flight shots. I can only imagine that without being accustomed to look of my simulator, it is very hard to tell difference if not presented as side-by-side. After all, P3D has endless possibilities for customization and it could look different for everyone. Either way, I took some now to show higher granularity of it. It is default scenery over Hungary with ORBX Global stuff. Make sure to load in full resolution. Will try to take some comparisons after landing or tomorrow.

 

https://ibb.co/8KDrD2g
https://ibb.co/MSqDX4k
https://ibb.co/kD36qw6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Evros said:

Right, so I took some in-flight shots. I can only imagine that without being accustomed to look of my simulator, it is very hard to tell difference if not presented as side-by-side. After all, P3D has endless possibilities for customization and it could look different for everyone. Either way, I took some now to show higher granularity of it. It is default scenery over Hungary with ORBX Global stuff. Make sure to load in full resolution. Will try to take some comparisons after landing or tomorrow.

 

https://ibb.co/8KDrD2g
https://ibb.co/MSqDX4k
https://ibb.co/kD36qw6

Can’t really tell with those pics.

need some pics on the ground.

cheers

mike 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post

So I took some comparison shots. I set Sharpening to 1.0 (maximum) to bring out the effect of it, but for me, that is way much. But the thing is that this gives you a visual perception and anything between stock and max can be tailored for one's needs. I prefer 0.50 or lower.

Took three sets. Top picture in every set is default and bottom picture is with sharpening applied. And it still looks a bit different in sim, because .PNG has compression and is lossy file format.

Set 1

https://ibb.co/L8kwwYN

https://ibb.co/B2LrRKX

Set 2

https://ibb.co/Gpx93WL

https://ibb.co/9HwvgqC

Set 3

https://ibb.co/3Rm3pfL

https://ibb.co/xSfnzbs

Edited by Evros
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well... Tried NVidia out and... I'm going to stick with Reshade.

Reasons>

1), There are many more shaders for Reshade including multiple different types of sharpen.

2), I'm still going to run Reshade for other shaders besides sharpen.

3), I can adjust them on the fly while in P3D and also enable/disable while in P3D to see the effects on the fly.

4), There are more tuning options for the Reshade shaders in general.

Tha above said I can see where someone who doesn't want to play around with Reshade will use the NVidia settings.

Here are a couple of shaders on/off pics, might be hard to see as I like to subtly apply shaders.

Shaders Off

250A37460F2F9DE62FFA09431425A9DED9598096

Shaders On

56D658A67BA834F09C04E5D4E3E6347C8778871C

Shaders On

82A2F94F7CCF058CD48A2F1CD830812BA0EDDCFD


Ryzen 2700X clocked to 4.2 Ghz, 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970 and 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Nvida 1070 Ti clocked to 2 Ghz

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Artwork

Share this post


Link to post

On my iPad I see the effect. I give it a try on my pc later. Thanks Evros. 


Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Evros said:

So the subject title was released with latest GeForce drivers from Nvidia. I enabled it for P3D 4.5H2 with the default setting to start with, which are Sharpen: 0.50 and Ignore Film Grain: 0.17, and I have to say the I like what I see. At the departure airport I saw a tiny bit of aliasing on very thin surfaces like GSX jetway handles(subject of 'Sharpen' value)), but overall it looks great. Looking down at the terrain from FL340 is noticably improved and looks a lot sharper. I will play around with the values and see if I can find a sweet spot that suits me better, but even at default settings, I find it very nice. Can't observe any hardware impact from using this feature.

Just wanted to get some thoughts of people who have also tried it out and if maybe you also have your favorite setting value to share.

Official info and more on it here.

How do you fool Nvidia into thinking that P3D v4.5 is a supported game?

Edit:

Found it! It is in the Nvidia Control Panel under Image Sharpening.

Edited by LecLightning56

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    45%
    $11,410.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...