Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

On 11/12/2019 at 8:16 AM, domkle said:

We have a word in French for that "discussions de café du Commerce", loosely translated as cafeteria talks. You know when you remake the world in a bistrot. At the end of the day, it serves no other purpose than shooting the breeze between friends around a beer. Except that we have no beer here.

I love the poetic phrases the french come up with. So much je me sais quoi 

• Like 1

16 pages and the entire point has been missed.

When people create content for a game and charge ridiculous prices it effects everything.

Their will be freeware developers sick of creating for nothing while others charge out of their mind prices.

Some of the freeware developers will stop creating content for the game.

Another negative is the entire game franchise gets reflected upon leaving a bad feeling across a broad range of users both current and potential.

It's not just a case of determining if one's wallet is fat enough to determine if the price if fine or if it is not.

Everyone will lose out in the end, fat wallet or not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mark Daniels

17 hours ago, Max50 said:

16 pages and the entire point has been missed.

When people create content for a game and charge ridiculous prices it effects everything.

Their will be freeware developers sick of creating for nothing while others charge out of their mind prices.

Some of the freeware developers will stop creating content for the game.

Another negative is the entire game franchise gets reflected upon leaving a bad feeling across a broad range of users both current and potential.

It's not just a case of determining if one's wallet is fat enough to determine if the price if fine or if it is not.

Everyone will lose out in the end, fat wallet or not.

I'm struggling to see the rationale in the thinking here. If the freeware developers gave a monkey's about what other companies might be charging then why are they creating for free anyway? Surely an add-on that some people think is overpriced is EXACTLY what drives the freeware developers to create, not the other way around. It is a positive for them.

Why is the entire game franchise affected? You don't have to buy PMDG. There are other choices. If you feel that strongly, why don't you get a team together and create one yourself? Not only would that be great for the franchise, but you would have a far greater understanding of what is needed to do it and could make a more informed decision on what pricing is right and what is wrong. By your logic there is a crystal clear place in the market for a cheaper 737. That is marketing gold and you should jump straight on it.

Have you seen the prices for products such as Project Magenta? One could argue that the PMDG 737 does everything that Project Magenta does and a whole load more (like 1000000% more), yet Project Magenta is exactly what I needed in my pit build 13 or so years ago and I bought it because I saw the value. Out of interest, the cost for a Boeing type glass cockpit for both seats, along with systems software etc was well north of $1000 if I remember correctly. If you think PMDG is expensive then that other software is definitely not for you.

There are 1000s of products available for you at $10, $20 , $50, $100. Why should I not be able to spend $140 on something that I believe gives me what I want and is worth the money? it should not affect you in any way, shape or form. Why do we have to McDonalds everything?

Would you like fries with that?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, b737800 said:

I'm struggling to see the rationale in the thinking here 

You have excuses, there are none.You say McDonalds, I say they want William Sonomas stuff at the Walmart price :laugh:

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On one hand, with this new offering, at least PMDG is offering a discount of the price already paid for a version on another simulator.  That is definitely not something that they've done before, and deserves at least some credit.  I think that if this was the first instance of PMDG approaching a new sim, probably the negative posts would be somewhat muted.

However, a lot of us remember the fsx-p3d3 transition...  and after having to pay full price plus 40% for what was the same exact product that we already bought (minus the intentional incompatibility code that PMDG put in, which was the main thing that kept it from working fine in p3d to begin with)  still leaves me with a bad taste.  and I'm not the only one.

To be perfectly honest,  I feel that PMDG has rightfully earned every bit of praise for the quality of their products that they have received.  And I feel that PMDG has rightfully earned every bit of scorn heaped upon them about their business practices.  People who only want to focus on one side of this or another are doing a disservice.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

And I feel that PMDG has rightfully earned every bit of scorn heaped upon them about their business practices.

Can't argue with that. Let's hope such practice is a thing of the past.

42 minutes ago, b737800 said:

I'm struggling to see the rationale in the thinking here. If the freeware developers gave a monkey's about what other companies might be charging then why are they creating for free anyway? Surely an add-on that some people think is overpriced is EXACTLY what drives the freeware developers to create, not the other way around. It is a positive for them.

Why is the entire game franchise affected? You don't have to buy PMDG. There are other choices. If you feel that strongly, why don't you get a team together and create one yourself? Not only would that be great for the franchise, but you would have a far greater understanding of what is needed to do it and could make a more informed decision on what pricing is right and what is wrong. By your logic there is a crystal clear place in the market for a cheaper 737. That is marketing gold and you should jump straight on it.

Have you seen the prices for products such as Project Magenta? One could argue that the PMDG 737 does everything that Project Magenta does and a whole load more (like 1000000% more), yet Project Magenta is exactly what I needed in my pit build 13 or so years ago and I bought it because I saw the value. Out of interest, the cost for a Boeing type glass cockpit for both seats, along with systems software etc was well north of $1000 if I remember correctly. If you think PMDG is expensive then that other software is definitely not for you.

There are 1000s of products available for you at $10, $20 , $50, $100. Why should I not be able to spend $140 on something that I believe gives me what I want and is worth the money? it should not affect you in any way, shape or form. Why do we have to McDonalds everything?

Would you like fries with that?

You are struggling to see beyond your own wants.

Keep in mind MSFS is a game sold in a game market.

Keep in mind PMDG is just an add-on for that game.

You are comparing software that is nothing alike.

You might as well question why does NASA spend so much money on software for space missions when Angry Birds software is only $2.99?

Compare game add-ons to game add-ons.

Please list me Steam DLC's that are over $140 for any game. Where does the PMDG price rank for add-on content for a game?

• Upvote 1

Mark Daniels

1 minute ago, Max50 said:

Keep in mind MSFS is a game sold in a game market.

Keep in mind PMDG is just an add-on for that game.

You are comparing software that is nothing alike.

I don't play games, hardly ever have. I see a big difference between a simulator and a game. i get the impression that many others here do too. Microsoft of course are further clouding the distinction by releasing for XBox, but I don't use consoles.

The other product that I mentioned is also just an add on for that "game". It was a reasonable comparison to make. It offers many of the features that the PMDG software offers, some that it doesn't, but also misses many that PMDG do. It is a more valid comparison than a car addon for a driving game would be because, up until now, the target markets and market sizes of FSX / P3D has been very different from console games.

I don't use Steam so can't produce a list I'm afraid. For the reasons I've given above the list wouldn't be particularly useful anyway.

If the price point for anything targeted at the sim is that critical to the market you should have similar outrage with both of these:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tpr-thrustmaster-pendular-rudder

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

The fact that they are both hardware does not make them any more inherently valuable, in my opinion. Effort is effort regardless of the end result.

4 minutes ago, b737800 said:

I don't play games, hardly ever have.

Hate to break the bad news to you but you are a gamer.

You could clearly be sold anything.

See if you can also work out the why on the below?

There are 3 places you can totally rip people off with game pricing.

1. Flight Sims

2. Train Sims

3. Kids games

• Upvote 1

Mark Daniels

14 minutes ago, Max50 said:

3. Kids games

Which kids games have you been ripped off on? I'll write them a letter on your behalf.

We have a difference of opinion. That's fine and it's what makes us human. I tend not to buy any of the cheaper add-ons. You don't want to buy PMDG. I guess we're different target markets and that is perfectly acceptable in a game, a sim or anything else.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, b737800 said:

Which kids games have you been ripped off on? I'll write them a letter on your behalf.

Every parent has been ripped off. Who's going to deny their nagging child the game they really want or that add-on they really want?

They can charge crazy prices and rip you off in this market sector.

Then there are still the other two.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

18 minutes ago, b737800 said:

We have a difference of opinion. That's fine and it's what makes us human. I tend not to buy any of the cheaper add-ons. You don't want to buy PMDG. I guess we're different target markets and that is perfectly acceptable in a game, a sim or anything else.

A rip off is when the quality of the product reveals after purchase that the  seller lied on the contractual features and performances. Not  the case for PMDG. 

And speaking of greed, what we see here at work, is consumer greed. He demands that a price should be tailored to his whim with great philosophical gesticulations about the future of freeware (to which he has most centainly never contributed btw). 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Large image warning (which is why i've not embedded as a picture).

https://gyazo.com/e50fdc62ec99eb6784eaec8b00e461f3

This is a screenshot I've just taken from the latest 737 cockpit. The fidelity and quality is something I've not seen in any other add-on as yet. Donuts while taxiing aside, the rest of the product seems to be of similar quality.

I shall not post further in this thread as we'll just go round in circles.

Enjoy your game, or sim, whichever term you prefer.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, domkle said:

A rip off is when the quality of the product reveals after purchase that the  seller lied on the contractual features and performances. Not  the case for PMDG. 

And speaking of greed, what we see here at work, is consumer greed.

Please, find me all the DLC's that are priced as per the PMDG?

I have been through this before. What price are you prepared to pay for MSFS as it will have faaaaaaaaaar more features and performances than the PMDG?

Mark Daniels