Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Lima to Miami - Mad Dog cargo time

Point of order: Can the phrase Mad Dog be applied to the mighty MD-11 or is it just the preserve of the MD-80? Thanks.

On the ramp at SPJC, Lima's main airport. Note the extension of the nose leg; she's not been fuelled or loaded yet.

iantxea.jpg

Reaching for the sky..

4rrQu9C.jpg

Agg1Q8o.jpg

Snow on the Andes.

xOj0KDF.jpg

Clouds over Cuba.

BtIx2qb.jpg

Touchdown on RWY30, KMIA

YYax3P1.jpg

a6YiBrl.jpg

uW7lLb6.jpg

Taxiing to one of the west area cargo ramps.

t9NMWM8.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

[As far as I know, Mark, when DC-9-80/Super 80 changed designation to MD-80, it also came to be known as “Mad Dog”. I’d made a reference to it in my Swissair post, which Airline was the driving force behind this variant, and also the first to fly it...these are terms used by aviation enthusiasts...So, maybe “Mighty Dog” for your MD-11...🙂...I noticed some such references today...not sure though...]

Now, good to see SkyLease Cargo back in action here! Nice shots including the one with flap/spoiler extensions (on landing at KMIA)...

• Like 1

Sweet set Mark.

There does appear to be something dodgy about your stabiliser though.....exaggerated angle in cruise, very much so in the landing phase. 😳

• Upvote 1

Love that Wing Shot.

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

13 hours ago, edetroit said:

... something dodgy about your stabiliser though.....exaggerated angle in cruise, very much so in the landing phase. 

YES! THIS!

Sky Simulations could do to address the angle - it is far too excessive. I did play around with the aircraft.cfg file, but I didn't get good results. I mean I obtained superb Visual results in that the horizontal stab was more "horizontal" as per the real thing, but that messed up the flight model somewhat. I also played with the wing incidence, and that messed up the model even more, turning the fast-landing cargo hauler into more of a STOL!

In addition, this was a flight with a full load - just about 90 tons payload yet only around 6 tons of fuel remaining - the autopilot ran out of stab trim on the approach trying to capture the ILS, even at about 170 - 180 knots :blink:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

33 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

YES! THIS!

Sky Simulations could do to address the angle - it is far too excessive. I did play around with the aircraft.cfg file, but I didn't get good results. I mean I obtained superb Visual results in that the horizontal stab was more "horizontal" as per the real thing, but that messed up the flight model somewhat. I also played with the wing incidence, and that messed up the model even more, turning the fast-landing cargo hauler into more of a STOL!

In addition, this was a flight with a full load - just about 90 tons payload yet only around 6 tons of fuel remaining - the autopilot ran out of stab trim on the approach trying to capture the ILS, even at about 170 - 180 knots :blink:

I would increase the elevator_trim_effectiveness in the aircraft cfg. You would have to be a bit more frugal with the trim if hand flying but it should look a lot better in the exterior view.

• Like 1

Nice pics!

And, yes what ed said above. ^^^^ You could get Model Converter X here. Documentation here.

Its a great tool. Back up your cfg file first, just in case.

• Like 1

If the mods would permit a few more pictures by way of an example....

I changed the htail_incidence from 2 to -1 in the cfg file. I loaded 90 tonnes of cargo, CG within limits and fuelled up to MTOW. Over 270 tonnes..

Used 22 degrees of flaps, full power and ANU setting of 6.5 (Sky Sim recommended amount for heavy weights). She rotated no problem, in fact I had to trim down during the climb out. Please note the horizontal stabiliser angle. Far more visually "correct"

Here she is having just levelled out at 31000 feet and M0.82

OP6MQc8.jpg

And at M0.84

zyJtaQA.jpg

Here she is "hanging off the fans" at 39000 feet and M0.84

3TUMcIk.jpg

I then tried a manual approach and landing, still with about 40 tonnes of fuel. The angles look a lot better, not sure if the speed is OK (155-160 knots) or is it a bit slow given the weight. What i mean is would the MD-11 at 259 tonnes drop out of the sky at that speed?Despite my questions, the landing looks quite realistic IMHO..

KCndpAm.jpg

g9I0QvB.jpg

L9mh2yj.jpg

PZhOu6f.jpg

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

6 hours ago, HighBypass said:

htail_incidence from 2 to -1 in the cfg

Looks really good Mark! That is a far better fix than mine. I'm going to jot this one down.😎

• Like 1

It remains to be seen if that setting of incidence is TOO good.I'm trying out some more flights. Cheers, Ed.

Mark Robinson