Sign in to follow this  
WingRider

Honeycomb Yoke - What are all possible Key Definition Sources

What are all the possible places that could be outputting a switch/button command. I am trying to program a button on the yoke. Call it button A. I want button A to execute command A. So I push button A and action A is implemented. HOWEVER, not only is Action A implemented, but so is Action Z. So I look in all the places I know of in which you can set up a button action. They are:

1 FSX Program, Settings, Controls

2 FSUIPC

3 Honeycomb Yokeinput

4 LINDA

FSX Settings, Controls lists Button A in the Joystick Box for Action A. Its Joystick Box for Action Z is empty.

Items 2, 3, and 4 show NO sign of Button A listed.

Comments / Suggestions?

i7-7700K 4.4 GHz / MSI Z270 M7 / 32 Gb Corsair DDR4-3000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 8 GB GDDR6 / 1 TB Western Digital Black SSD (on the PCI bus) / 500 Gb Samsung EV0 850 SSD (on the SATA bus) / EVGA 850 Gold / Cryorig H7

3 minutes ago, WingRider said:

What are all the possible places that could be outputting a switch/button command. I am trying to program a button on the yoke. Call it button A. I want button A to execute command A. So I push button A and action A is implemented. HOWEVER, not only is Action A implemented, but so is Action Z. So I look in all the places I know of in which you can set up a button action. They are:

2 FSUIPC

3 Honeycomb Yokeinput

4 LINDA

FSX Settings, Controls lists Button A in the Joystick Box for Action A. Its Joystick Box for Action Z is empty.

Comments / Suggestions?

It might help to know some details -- what button on the Honeycomb yoke and what actions A and Z actually are. Also, under the FSX controls, you might check to make sure button A is not assigned to any other controller other then the HoneyComb yoke.

Al

What "button" do you specify and where ?

Take care that the switch numbering by Honewcomb documentation is not the same as viewed by FSX.

For example, if you want to program the switch named Strobe on the yoke,
- with the (lattest 1.0.3 ) version of YokeInput you will assign
>K:STROBES_ON on button 29 and
>K:STROBES_OFFon button 30

If you want to do it with FSX, you will assign
twice button 29 with "Strobe lights (on/off)", once for "keypress" and once for "key release" - take care that key position can be desynchronised between the yoke and the VC switch !

Gérard

1 hour ago, ark said:

It might help to know some details -- what button on the Honeycomb yoke and what actions A and Z actually are. Also, under the FSX controls, you might check to make sure button A is not assigned to any other controller other then the HoneyComb yoke.

Al

Checked other controllers under FSX, and Button A is not assigned under any other controller either. Neither is Button B.  HC = Honeycomb Yoke

Button A = HC8  Action A = Panel Window 4  Action Z = Selection increase

Button B = HC7  Action B = Panel Window 3  Action Y = Selection decrease

To Gerard and others: Note that I can get the button, in this case HC 7 & 8 to perform the action I want them to perform, it's that they are also simultaneously performing an action I don't want, and did not program them to perform.

Edited by WingRider
Add reply to Gerard

i7-7700K 4.4 GHz / MSI Z270 M7 / 32 Gb Corsair DDR4-3000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 8 GB GDDR6 / 1 TB Western Digital Black SSD (on the PCI bus) / 500 Gb Samsung EV0 850 SSD (on the SATA bus) / EVGA 850 Gold / Cryorig H7

1 hour ago, WingRider said:

Checked other controllers under FSX, and Button A is not assigned under any other controller either. Neither is Button B.  HC = Honeycomb Yoke

To Gerard and others: Note that I can get the button, in this case HC 7 & 8 to perform the action I want them to perform, it's that they are also simultaneously performing an action I don't want, and did not program them to perform.

As an experiment, if in FSX under the Options Settings Controls Keyboard column there are entries for Selection Increase and Selection Decrease ( = and - seem to be the default values) I would delete them and then restart the sim to see if that makes any difference. If you are a FSUIPC user you may know that a button can be setup to send a key code, so this experiment is just checking to make sure the Honeycomb switches are not doing something like that somehow (just a shot in the dark experiment).

Al

Edited by ark

2 hours ago, WingRider said:

It might also he helpful to know what is being increased or decreased? What parameter or function is selected that you see being increased or decreased? Or said another way, how do you know the selection increase/decrease events are being activated?

Al

Edited by ark

Well, I'm not sure I understand some of the information posted in the thread, I'm not saying anyone is mistaken, it's just not written so that I fully understand what was said.  Anyway, let me give this a shot?

First, it's not necessary to use the Honeycomb software to set up command binds, but I recommend you do (explained below).

Unless you clear the P3D settings either via the Honeycomb Addon via the Addons menu or clear them manually by either deleting the "Standard.xml file located at:

C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Controls,  or...

... by going into FSX/P3D and manually editing out all command bindings, it's possible to have two operational sets of command bindings running at the same time, one set of commands from P3D settings and one from the Honeycomb settings.  If I understand the OP correctly, this sounds like his problem.

So the first decision one has to make is if they want to setup the Yoke switch commands in FSX/P3D (Honeycomb software is not required) or if the want to use the Honeycomb software.  I recommend using the Honeycomb software as it allows for more variables (settings) than using FSX/P3D binds.

SO even though many of these native P3D commands are toggles, the Honeycomb software allows easier access over P3D binds for additional flexibility than simply using FSX/P3D binds. Example: The Nav Light Switch in the Aerosoft Airbus Pro has three positions, Off, Nav1 and Nav2.  For this bind in the Honeycomb software, setting 0 (zero) is off, 1 would move the switch to Nav1 and "2" would move the switch to Nav2.  So, Button 27 can be set to 1 (Nav1) or 2 (Nav2), and then Button 28 should be set to "0" (zero) for the Nav Light Switch to be set to off.

Honeycomb Switch Graphic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hv6t6u0mpscyzww/Screenshot - 11_15_2019 %2C 11_23_53 PM.png?dl=0

For more intricate command binds, you'll need to use something like the registered version of FSUIPC.

I hope this has been helpful my friends!

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

In case it hasn't been said, each Honeycomb switch is actually a pair of switches. For example, the top left switch on the front panel operates buttons 13 and 14 at the same time. Hence you need to program a button-down action on button 13, but you also need to make sure you don't have any button-up action attached to button 14 (and vice versa).

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

25 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

In case it hasn't been said, each Honeycomb switch is a actually a pair of switches. For example, the top left switch on the front panel operates buttons 13 and 14 at the same time. Hence you need to program a button-down action on button 13, but you also need to make sure you don't have button-up action attached to button 14 (and vice versa).

hello Mark

Are your comments specific to a certain flightsim? In case of X-Plane both the button-down and the button-up have to be assigned to an action. Obviously, one action is the "on" action, and the other is the "off" action. Why it is done  like that in X-Plane is an enigma to me. It is confusing, leads to errors and restricts the capabilities of controllers. This topic is discussed many times on x-plane.org. I asked Laminar a number of times why this is and if it could be changed, but never got an answer.  

• Upvote 1

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

2 hours ago, oemlegoem said:

Are your comments specific to a certain flightsim? In case of X-Plane both the button-down and the button-up have to be assigned to an action. Obviously, one action is the "on" action, and the other is the "off" action. Why it is done  like that in X-Plane is an enigma to me. It is confusing, leads to errors and restricts the capabilities of controllers. This topic is discussed many times on x-plane.org. I asked Laminar a number of times why this is and if it could be changed, but never got an answer.  

No, I am refering to the hardware in the Honeycomb yoke. As I mentioned in my review video, each toggle switch is actually wired to two inputs on the controller - so when you flip it, one input goes to ON and another goes to OFF simultaneously. You can watch this happening in the Game Controller setting screen in Windows Control Panel.

I am pretty sure it has been done this way to follow X-Plane which, for reasons unknown, doesn't allow you to program functions to the button UP (OFF) events as both FSX and P3D do. This means you need twice as many physical inputs to program the same things in X-Plane, at least if you do it natively. This is also why the Honeycomb yoke needs 35 inputs on the controller, which in turn means that anyone using FSX or FSUIPC can't program the mag switch properly.

Edited by MarkDH
  • Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

12 hours ago, WingRider said:

2 FSUIPC

3 Honeycomb Yokeinput

4 LINDA

Comments / Suggestions?

With the Honeycomb yoke, when you operate button A you are also operating button B. It's just designed that way and you're stuck with it. In your example, if you look again you will no doubt find that Button B is programmed to do 'action Z' on its button-UP event. (Or in FSX terms, you will find that 'action Z' is programmed to button B and the 'do action when key is released' box is checked.) See my other reply for more detail.

Edited by MarkDH
  • Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

Just go into the YokeInput program and erase ALL assigned commands from ALL switches.  Or just erase the switches you want to program with another application (FSUIPC fore example) Remember that each switch has an up position and a down position and represents two buttons. Once you do that SAVE the profile with an appropriate name (I call mine BLANK) and activate that profile.  Now the yoke switches are like any other switches on any other yoke/joystick.  Program them with what ever you like (FSUIPC, FSX, P3D, etc).  

There is one caveat.  Buttons 31 through 35 (I think) can't be programmed with FSUIPC.

In case you didn't know.  YokeInput is in the bin directory where it installed it's software.  Mine is in

F:\Program Files (x86)\aerosoft\Honeycomb\bin\YokeInput.exe"

Edited by CajunRon
  • Upvote 1

Ronnie Pertuit

5 hours ago, CajunRon said:

Just go into the YokeInput program and erase ALL assigned commands from ALL switches

Why run a driver if you want it to do nothing ! Just disable the Alpha Yoke Add On in P3D !

Gérard

I just uninstalled the yoke input program and assigned my buttons directly in P3DV4. What advantages does the Honycomb input program offer over that?

Vic green