Sign in to follow this  
wesleychang42

Flight Simulator X Beta Update

On 11/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, Keyholebud said:

I am getting 80 to 120 FPS LAX area  70 to 90 FPS KSFO 4k But that might be newer rig too.

on what settings?

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

36 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Isn't this the wrong forum or am I confused ?

Nope, it's in the right forum. I saw this a week or so ago when I was reinstalling FSX to test some stuff out. Now when you install FSX-SE on Steam, or crank it up, it asks you if you want to partake in the new function in FSX-SE which is related to information gathering for MSFS.

Basically they know that anyone who has bought FSX-SE is a potential customer for MSFS and especially if they are still using it with certain add-ons, so the more info they can gather about buying habits and usage and who buys what add-ons, since FSX-SE and add-on sales via Steam, is basically the prototype for the MSFS in-game DLC market, the better they can tailor MSFS and their own DLC, and that's what all this is about.

Part of what always pee'd MS off about Flight Simulator, was that they made a sim, sold a copy for sixty quid or so, then TPDs made money off it for years whilst they made no further money from it until they made a new version every two years or so. Thus they always wanted to get into making cash from the revenue stream of DLC. They had an initial stab at it with Flight, but MSFS is their new go at it, and they can learn how to do it right by monitoring Steam's data, since Steam has some of the best analysis tools for developers that you can get when it comes to analysing sales and usage trends.

You will see Asobo/MS developing their own add-ons sooner or later as a result of this analysis and the analysis of MSFS and probably observing sales trends for XPlane and P3D as well, but years of analytical data from FSX-SE users based on what they have bought and when, is massively valuable data for MS, because it's much closer to their target market in terms of PC gamers who also use flight sims, which is what Steam is in large part about and it is not a million miles away from the XBox demographic either.

So if you have FSX-SE and you have the Active Sky version for it and the PMDG 747 or whatever, you could probably do yourself a favour by cranking those up and having it send data to MS showing that you like realistic weather in a sim and fancy airliners. 

Funny thing about that is, if they analyse my data, they'll see that I had a Just Flight Piper PA-28 for FS2004, FSX, FSX-SE, P3D, FSW and MSFS, and a Carenado one too for some of those sims. So they'd look at that and go, hey, that PA-28 is popular, let's make an add-on PA-28 for MSF... oh bugger, we're too late! 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

49 minutes ago, Chock said:

Funny thing about that is, if they analyse my data, they'll see that

However if they're basing some of their strategy, or actually if they prioritize the 3rd party vendors they'll start working with, based on FSX-SE telemetry usage, this might not be representative at all of the overall simmers which were at the time they introduced this update, already a solid half at least flying P3D instead. Some vendors were already producing add-ons only for P3D 2 years ago as well.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

4 hours ago, iraqyeagle said:

Add to that first of all it's good customer service for people using FSX-SE that they are fixing a few bugs for them, turning Live Weather back on again, and I think also learning about the Steam environment so when/if MSFS 2020 comes to Steam ( they stated early on that they wanted it everywhere their potential customers were ). I have no clue but I would think there are some customers that will only get their games from Steam, and no I have no data to support that, it's just a guess. I for one hope they do offer it on different services, it's good business if they can make it work. Xbox Game Pass for a one time purchase, Xbox Game Pass Subscribers, that might try it and like it cause it there to try, maybe a Microsoft Store ( but I think Xbox Game Pass is that place now and in the future), Steam, and any other service where they can get customers but also easily sent out updates and new features in the future.

MSFS is on Steam and has been since launch day.

This thread is from 2019....

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

The beta broke a ton of addons for me back then...I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Quite honestly I am amazed at claims of improved frame rates. The sole reason for this Beta is to, apparently, evaluate usage in order to prioritise changes in MSFS2020. And to do that, additional tracking and recording information has to be added to the existing code. That surely means worse performance, not better - that is perfectly normal with beta programmes and to be expected.

This isn't a bug-fixing exercise, there is no reason to repair or improve anything in FSX now. The lack of weather was not a bug, it had been turned off. No doubt this Beta connects you to MSFS2020 weather as it must be considered an important part of the evaluation.

And the small print that goes with Beta versions will always warn you it may cause problems or even break your setup. Beta versions should always be installed in a separate and safe environment. They invariably end after a chosen time, so quite why everybody seems to think this is the best thing since sliced bread beats me.

John

Edited by John Hinson

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org