Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

Purchasing a i9-9900K - Water Cooler or Air Cooler?

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Thanks, Martin. Will do, when I get around to starting the build, and thanks for all your advices. My current rig from which I am typing this, has the D14, I think you recommended at the time, and it's still going strong, and barely audible keeping a 4.2Ghz overclock cool👍

I wouldn't have recomended the NH-D14. That's an old cooler. Would have been the NH-D15S or NH-D15. 

23 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I wouldn't have recomended the NH-D14. That's an old cooler. Would have been the NH-D15S or NH-D15. 

Didn't you recommend way back in 2014-15? If not you, someone did here.

18 hours ago, vc10man said:

Didn't you recommend way back in 2014-15? If not you, someone did here.

Oh right. Way back then I could have indeed. 😁 I had a D14, my son still has it in his PC.

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Oh right. Way back then I could have indeed. 😁 I had a D14, my son still has it in his PC.

See, I thought I had taken a recommendation from you as I have valued your hardware opinions here for a long while.

Am still hunting a 28-inch to 32-inch monitor, and am being pulled hither and thither with 'non-simming friends' advice'. Missed an Acer 32-inch IPS as out of stock just a shade too late to pulling the trigger. Not sure if VA, TN are acceptable alternatives. Perhaps you are also up there on these?

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

You did indeed recommend it to me too Martin-w!  This machine is still running strong 6.5y later and it survived moving last winter 1000mile w/ the thing still attached!  I used zip ties to support it you recall.  I'm shocked at how good this old beast can run P3D V3.4 it just won't die!

Screen-Shot-2019-12-02-at-9-10-13-AM.jpg

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

See, I thought I had taken a recommendation from you as I have valued your hardware opinions here for a long while.

Am still hunting a 28-inch to 32-inch monitor, and am being pulled hither and thither with 'non-simming friends' advice'. Missed an Acer 32-inch IPS as out of stock just a shade too late to pulling the trigger. Not sure if VA, TN are acceptable alternatives. Perhaps you are also up there on these?

I'm not martin but I can recommend using a curved screen for P3D's primary screen.  I'm using a Dell U3415W, 3440x1440 and it's great, though would be better were it OLED ;o)

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks, Noel, have 24-inch Dell UltraSharp IPS at the moment, and it has been just superb since I got it way back in 2013 to replace am Iiyama CRT and if my pockets were deep enough,I'd gladly get another one, but sadly they are not, being a mere pensioner.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:11 PM, Noel said:

You did indeed recommend it to me too Martin-w!  This machine is still running strong 6.5y later and it survived moving last winter 1000mile w/ the thing still attached!  I used zip ties to support it you recall.  I'm shocked at how good this old beast can run P3D V3.4 it just won't die!

Screen-Shot-2019-12-02-at-9-10-13-AM.jpg

Oh yes Noel. 6 years ago.  😁 Are you still running with two fans? I removed one of them in my sons PC. Barely any difference to temp. One or two degrees. 

6.5y later and it survived moving last winter 1000mile w/ the thing still attached!

So much for the "it will destroy your motherboard" nonsense. Zip ties good idea. 

Edited by martin-w

On 12/2/2019 at 4:11 PM, vc10man said:

To be honest Rick, I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to Monitors. In fact I'm still using a BenQ 1080P 144 Hz. Hoping to upgrade in a few months time after I (hopefully) move to the Cotswold's. Will probably opt for 1440P 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

To be honest Rick, I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to Monitors. In fact I'm still using a BenQ 1080P 144 Hz. Hoping to upgrade in a few months time after I (hopefully) move to the Cotswold's. Will probably opt for 1440P 

Thanks for your input, Martin.

Currently on a Dell UltraSharp 24-inch 1980 x 1080 IPS display, and it's a superb display but not ideal to show the whole Overhead Panels in most aircraft. Have to pan up/down/sideways.

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

Thanks for your input, Martin.

Currently on a Dell UltraSharp 24-inch 1980 x 1080 IPS display, and it's a superb display but not ideal to show the whole Overhead Panels in most aircraft. Have to pan up/down/sideways.

Here's my recommendation for you:  https://www.newegg.com/black-acer-cz0-series-cz350ck-bmiiphx-um-cc0aa-002-35/p/N82E16824011189

I really like this resolution and curved format for flying and the price isn't too bad.

Noel

Thanks, Noel, but I think you or somebody else sent me that link elsewhere.

It's not just a monitor for flightsimming alone, and that size, being curved would severely hamper my desk space. Plus, unavailable.

Am in no particular great rush. One will crop up somewhere along the line.

Edited by vc10man

My primary sim rig at home is an 8086K at 5.3GHz on a custom water loop.  The custom water loop was first built 10 years ago and has lasted me through four systems to date, and it is by far the more capable cooling solution compared to an air cooler...I see temps 20-30 deg lower than on air or AIO water coolers, and it's dead quiet.

That said, I run a portable rig with a 9900K on a Noctua NH-D15, and it manages an all-core 5.0 GHz overclock running P3Dv4 with peak temps in the high 60s to low 70s, depending on ambient room temp.  I have HT off in both cases, as my P3D experience with HT on using 6+ core CPUs is less smooth.  The 9900K brings 33% more L3 cache to the party than the 9700, so I disagree with the notion that turning HT off "turns your 9900 into a 9700"--especially given my belief that memory performance is more important to a smooth P3D experience than most people give it credit for.

Honestly, either cooling solution is workable.  If you want to max perform your system, a good custom water loop is the way to go, but it brings some disadvantages--leaks, complexity, cost etc.  I think the risk of a leak in a water loop--AIO or custom--that's being bounced and vibrated on long road trips is high enough that I considered it a last resort option for the portable build...plus I had this NH-D15 sitting new in the box in my spares bin for several years now, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it keeps up with the 9900K.  But I did have to accept a little risk, as I can't sustain long stress tests stable on the NH-D15 without unacceptably high temps.  Here's where some understanding and feel for the margins between voltages, temps, and workloads inspired a judgement call to try and run P3D where prime95 can not go.  It's working quite well.

I'm running a 24-inch Dell G-Sync monitor at 2560 x 1440 on the portable rig...with reading glasses on and sitting close-in with a viewing distance of ~22 inches, it works very well, but certainly not as grand a view as on my 55-inch 4K display at home.  Portability entails compromises...but they're not nearly as severe as I had imagined.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

21 minutes ago, w6kd said:

But I did have to accept a little risk, as I can't sustain long stress tests stable on the NH-D15 without unacceptably high temps.  Here's where some understanding and feel for the margins between voltages, temps, and workloads inspired a judgement call to try and run P3D where prime95 can not go. 

Therein is where I part ways with the bulk of 'enthusiasts' on flight sim forums and here's why:  w/ P3D/FSX there is considerable range of performance overhead secondary to which sliders are moved to what position, some being more CPU, some more GPU dependent.   There is just little point in trying to get to the bleeding edge of performance--the visual and experiential payoff just is not there.  On a 6.5 y/o system, by being a little mindful of where I'm flying and in what, I experience liquid smooth performance, truly.    When flying into a complex terminal in a complex plane I might need to dial back autogen to Normal or even less, and disable terrain and cloud shadows.  Whoopdeedoodaday!   I can hardly perceive the difference as I'm focused on managing the plane during approach and landing.   I will clearly benefit by upgrading from the 3930K at 4.42Ghz (often at 4.32Ghz if that's sufficient) to a 9900K at say 4.7 or 4.8Ghz.   The holy grail of >5.0Ghz just is hardly relavent over 4.7 or 4.8.  I postulate no one, in a double-blinded test, would be able to perceive the machine is running at 5.2 or 4.8Ghz by viewing performance while flying.   The reality is a slight tweak to GPU or CPU related sliders will make 4.8 and 5.2 equal, and no one will see any difference.  Quite clearly, I'm not 'an enthusiast', and I'm happy not to be!

I'll do the NH-D15 but need to learn how to find low profile memory when it's time to build the new system.   My old system just won't die!

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Therein is where I part ways with the bulk of 'enthusiasts' on flight sim forums and here's why:  w/ P3D/FSX there is considerable range of performance overhead secondary to which sliders are moved to what position, some being more CPU, some more GPU dependent.   There is just little point in trying to get to the bleeding edge of performance--the visual and experiential payoff just is not there.  On a 6.5 y/o system, by being a little mindful of where I'm flying and in what, I experience liquid smooth performance, truly.    When flying into a complex terminal in a complex plane I might need to dial back autogen to Normal or even less, and disable terrain and cloud shadows.  Whoopdeedoodaday!   I can hardly perceive the difference as I'm focused on managing the plane during approach and landing.   I will clearly benefit by upgrading from the 3930K at 4.42Ghz (often at 4.32Ghz if that's sufficient) to a 9900K at say 4.7 or 4.8Ghz.   The holy grail of >5.0Ghz just is hardly relavent over 4.7 or 4.8.  I postulate no one, in a double-blinded test, would be able to perceive the machine is running at 5.2 or 4.8Ghz by viewing performance while flying.   The reality is a slight tweak to GPU or CPU related sliders will make 4.8 and 5.2 equal, and no one will see any difference.  Quite clearly, I'm not 'an enthusiast', and I'm happy not to be!

I'll do the NH-D15 but need to learn how to find low profile memory when it's time to build the new system.   My old system just won't die!

Pausing the sim in order to dive into settings menus is somewhat immersion-breaking, I would rather attain the requisite performance necessary to avoid this endeavor altogether, but to each their own.

• Upvote 1