Sign in to follow this  
carmined

Flight SIMULATOR - I hope it means the bad stuff too!

I've done night VFR and as stated as long as you stay in VFR conditions and don't play hide and seek in clouds or fog, it's actually very nice. One thing to make sure is that you file a VFR flightplan and have ATC at all times as sometimes traffic is hard to see.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

8 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

However, I question the wisdom of taking off at 1.30AM into a weather front which forces you to fly at 1000ft, I cannot imagine, that you could spot an airfield at that height, until you were almost on top of it, or at least very close.That would call for some pretty precise navigation, I have to assume his aircraft was GPS equipped.

Back in my time there was no GPS, and the GA aircraft I'm flying today still aren't GPS equipped.

Still navigating the old fashioned way. It's definitely satisfying when your navigation calculations and precise flying work out, so that you arrive over your planned waypoint exactly at the correct time.

And you don't start sweating when the GPS fails 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Back in my time there was no GPS, and the GA aircraft I'm flying today still aren't GPS equipped.

Still navigating the old fashioned way. It's definitely satisfying when your navigation calculations and precise flying work out, so that you arrive over your planned waypoint exactly at the correct time.

And you don't start sweating when the GPS fails 😉 

Memories of threads long gone with Larry Adamson 😁

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 hours ago, FDEdev said:

This is how I fell in love with flight simulator.  being able to tune two VFRs and calculating where two radials intersect and flying one till it disappears and then flying blind for a while and then seeing your VFR come back to life and fly that radial right to your destination.  The early versions of FS only had a few areas done and it was great fun to fly blind between them and see that it actually was one connected world.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

19 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

However, I question the wisdom of taking off at 1.30AM into a weather front which forces you to fly at 1000ft, I cannot imagine, that you could spot an airfield at that height, until you were almost on top of it, or at least very close.

You'd be surprised at how far you can see from 1000ft. The theoretical visual horizon at 1000ft agl is almost 39 miles (approximate distance to the horizon in miles = 1.23 times the square root of the eye height in feet - https://aty.sdsu.edu/explain/atmos_refr/horizon.html). Even further if you allow for atmospheric refraction! Obviously met visibility or obstructions/high ground can significantly reduce that but it's still potentially a long way.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 hours ago, sightseer said:

This is how I fell in love with flight simulator.  being able to tune two VFRs and calculating where two radials intersect and flying one till it disappears and then flying blind for a while and then seeing your VFR come back to life and fly that radial right to your destination.  The early versions of FS only had a few areas done and it was great fun to fly blind between them and see that it actually was one connected world.

When I first started with FS-5.1, that's exactly what I did.  I had a document where I recorded the frequencies for different cities, and for each city would say that from here I could go east to such and such, NW to somewhere else, south to another, etc.  The was no map in those days, but I had found a way to fly pretty much everywhere in the eastern half of the US.

Edited by andyjohnston.net

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

This issue with being forced down to 1000 ft AGL is definitely a slight problem with visibility as far is seeing visual checkpoints, but really the larger problem is one of time. Take a typical single engine Cessna. At best glide speed of 65 knots, you get a (somewhat optimistic) glide ratio of 9:1. So that's 9000 ft (1.5 NM) forward for your 1000 feet of altitude. Had that engine vibration turned in to a full blown engine failure, you have less than a minute and a half before you are on the ground somewhere...and since it is night, you are really limited in your options for picking where to put it down.

@carmined kudos for recognizing for situation, asking ATC for help and getting down on the ground asap! Weather in the summer in FL is easy to forecast (hazy, hot, and humid, with a chance of thunder storms), but hard to predict! That was a good story!

• Like 2

Chris

12 hours ago, domkle said:

Memories of threads long gone with Larry Adamson 😁

O980BPu.jpg

• Like 1

Chris