Sign in to follow this  
untel123

Perspective problem with FS2020

Hello, 

Am I the only one to find that wings perspective seem false ? I've looked at many airplane pictures and all of them have the same 3D model problem : when airplane is turning the farthest wing is way too short and/or the closest one seems way too long. Look at X019 video trailer starting at 1:27 sec, you'ill understand my point. The closest wing is way too long compared to the other one. I suspect this wing is too stretched or that's a strange airplane ! Something is wrong, it's not looking good. 

J Guy

Edited by untel123
Added video reference

Bruh...what are you talking about?

A little context goes a long way.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

15 minutes ago, untel123 said:

Hello, 

Am I the only one to find that wings perspective seem false ? I've looked at many airplane pictures and all of them have the same 3D model problem : when airplane is turning the farthest wing is way too short ... 

J Guy

Hi

I see what you mean in some of the Insider screenshots : 1/1 (row, column), 6/1, 8/2. It is most likely a visual distortion in the screenshot to have a panoramic view.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

In looking at photographs of airplanes -- or anything else -- there is almost invariably some degree of unavoidable distortion in the original, un-retouched photograph due to the intrinsic nature of both telephoto and wide-angle lenses. 

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Indeed, it's due to the wide field of view that the image is getting distorted. It's especially obvious with the scenery getting stretched in the sides at the shot you mentioned in the trailer. This effect is likely further exaggerated by the fact that the trailers were shot in the scope format. Since most of us will likely be playing at a 16:9 resolution, the field of view will not have to be turned up that much.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, untel123 said:

Hello, 

Am I the only one to find that wings perspective seem false ? I've looked at many airplane pictures and all of them have the same 3D model problem : when airplane is turning the farthest wing is way too short and/or the closest one seems way too long. Look at X019 video trailer starting at 1:27 sec, you'ill understand my point. The closest wing is way too long compared to the other one. I suspect this wing is too stretched or that's a strange airplane ! Something is wrong, it's not looking good. 

J Guy

Looks like wide angle lens distortion to me.

• Like 2

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Did you notice the 1 second title : "CAPTURED IN REAL-TIME 4K". To me this means that it published after doing screen capture with software and there's no lens distortion involved. That's the screen as it appears to the viewer.  

This is the worst perspective problem I have seen so far in all released materials.

The grass blades look like to be around 1-2 meters long. Compare it with the size of the guy in the cockpit. 

P7WTiiq.png

• Upvote 1

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

The white line close to the grass is a bit (???)  oversize too ...  looks like 3-4 feet wide. The left one looks ok. Tarmac cracks are way too large close to us compared to what we see on the other side of the runway. They should be similar, so it's easy to compare. This example may explain what's going on : the closest the things are (grass, wings, lines, etc...) the more oversize they look.  Magnifying is exaggerated for close objects. That's a much nicer example. 

2 hours ago, untel123 said:

Did you notice the 1 second title : "CAPTURED IN REAL-TIME 4K". To me this means that it published after doing screen capture with software and there's no lens distortion involved. That's the screen as it appears to the viewer.  

It has to do the camera's position and the zoom factor skewing the perspective. The same effect will occur even in the ancient FS95 as well!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Bruh...what are you talking about?

A little context goes a long way.

Did you even see the XO19 video at 1:27, it's not difficult at all to see what the OP is saying.

Guys this is all the proof you need to verify FSX dna exists, because FSX has been using these wide angle exterrnal views for years.

Resetting the zoom level should mitigate against this effect but of course you can't see the zoom level in the video but I suspect they've zoom in somewhat for the screenshot.

14 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

Guys this is all the proof you need to verify FSX dna exists, because FSX has been using these wide angle exterrnal views for years.

It's already been confirmed many times that they built it off of FSX. What the OP is talking about isn't FSX specific and is not an indicator of it being used. It's simply perspective/distortion. It exists in all games that aren't 2D, and in real life (cameras and even your eyes have the same effect).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brandon Filer

Correct Brandon. Although there is precious little of the old ESP DNA in it by now. They mainly needed to determine from the ancient code what specific elements from FSX they would need to code in order to make it a complete simulator.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator