Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

EP5 Soundscape

10 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Given what you want and what we saw yesterday, shouldn't you be more excited than ever for getting what you want?

No worries. As the majority of forumer's here. I'll be the first buyer of FS2020 as I'm since Flight Simulator on Commodore 64 (just an example to demonstrate how I'm a fan and addict). I have already share my enthusiasm somewhere else in this forum, on my blog and facebook to name a few. I know it's hard to know who's who with a so much number of forumer's but be sure I'll rush to play with FS2020. Oh just to be ready I'm already a Game Pass PC subscriber. Ok, quite useless so far but good way to prove how I'm excited, right ? 😉 

Just disapointed on the Episde 5. Nothing more. Nothing less. And just a single point of view. No big deal 😉

• Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio/uploads

3 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I understand what you are saying Vincent. I also would have liked to have seen sounds like a fouled plug, a reluctant engine start, or a bad mixture setting demonstrated. This is a flight simulator after all. Once the engine is started you will not hear any of these ambient sounds except for rain on the fuselage or thunder. The difference between night and day sounds is interesting but I have only noticed that in real life when camping in the wilderness. The only difference in everyday life is the reduction in traffic noise. I am just as excited as most about this new simulator but I would like them to focus a little more on the aviation side in their demonstrations.

Oh, finally I'm not alone. Glad to see your post and hopefully one who understood my point.

Vincent B.

The muffling effect of headphones shouldn't be too hard to introduce as an option. As for the ATC, I believe they haven't started work on that yet, so it wouldn't be possible to demonstrate it at this stage. Possibly the same for failures, as I don't think they've said anything about those yet.

If you are part of the Tech Alpha, then it might be worth requesting some information about these features. They're always listening.

4 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The muffling effect of headphones shouldn't be too hard to introduce as an option

It's really easy. You wear headphones and have only ATC sounds sent to it and everything else to speakers.

Personally I don't like simulated muffling of noises when the alternative is at least as easy and very realistic - because it's real.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, b737800 said:

It's really easy. You wear headphones and have only ATC sounds sent to it and everything else to speakers.

Personally I don't like simulated muffling of noises when the alternative is at least as easy and very realistic - because it's real.

Not a very practical solution for those who don't have enough space, don't want to disturb others, or fly at night. I might not know what I'm talking about, but I believe that an option with a simple volume reduction and an equaliser tweak would create a very believable effect. Something that an intern can do in a few hours, probably.

Though being able to isolate engine and ATC sounds for different sets of speakers/headphones should also be an option, for those who want to it that away. Actually, would that be possible in current simulators already, with stock options?

14 minutes ago, b737800 said:

Personally I don't like simulated muffling of noises when the alternative is at least as easy and very realistic - because it's real

Yep, it's more or less what I'm doing right now with my Prepar3D setup (only use small GA aircraft). Engine noise are sent to surround speaker and ATC communication are send to other, more directional and low quality speakers, to lower the quality and reach reality. Back again to episode 5. With all the great skills and technologies Asobo is able to deploy on FS2020 and which is demonstrate in episode 5, it could be cool they innovate from a the small GA pilot perspective. After all there a predominant showcase of Robin DR400, Cessna 172. Don't misunderstood : let's wait for the final product (that I anyway will acquire) 😉

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

19 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Though being able to isolate engine and ATC sounds for different sets of speakers/headphones should also be an option, for those who want to it that away. Actually, would that be possible in current simulators already, with stock options?

Yep, no problem with Prepar3D for example, you can select the playback device for "voice" separately :

G9fTBIv.png

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

40 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

I'll be the first buyer of FS2020 as I'm since Flight Simulator on Commodore 64 (just an example to demonstrate how I'm a fan and addict). 

Nice, I started on the C64 too.  My very first simulator was Gunship by Microprose.  In fact it was the very first game I bought for the C64 and the reason I got it in the first place.  I had so many flight sims for the C64.

Man how times have changed since then, here we are debating about realistic headphone ambient sounds in a sim and back then I was completely happy with those triangle polygon mountains for terrain, LOL!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

Yep, no problem with Prepar3D for example, you can select the playback device for "voice" :

Oh! This was in Flight Simulator X as well, always thought this was for multiplayer chat.

Would the playback device you have selected be your monitor's speakers? That's a pretty good idea I have to say.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Not a very practical solution for those who ...don't want to disturb others,

Never thought of that. Probably why I'm on wife #2.

2 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

That's a pretty good idea I have to say.

VERY nice feature. Been using it since I can remember it first being available.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Would the playback device you have selected be your monitor's speakers? That's a pretty good idea I have to say.

Currently, as on the screenshot, it is.

qXRquna.png

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

@vbazillio in the video they showed making an impulse response of the aircraft cabin. That’s about as accurate a picture as you are going to get of sound within a given space. Headsets, different brands, ANR vs passive, it is all different for different people. Heck, my ANR headset varies wildly depending in how I have it positioned on my ears and especially given which pair of glasses I’m wearing. But given the tools available, I can’t imagine it would be very difficult to apply a set of parameters to simulate headsets of all varieties. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris

On 1/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, snglecoil said:

@vbazillio in the video they showed making an impulse response of the aircraft cabin. That’s about as accurate a picture as you are going to get of sound within a given space. Headsets, different brands, ANR vs passive, it is all different for different people. Heck, my ANR headset varies wildly depending in how I have it positioned on my ears and especially given which pair of glasses I’m wearing. But given the tools available, I can’t imagine it would be very difficult to apply a set of parameters to simulate headsets of all varieties. 

I agree, and also include a turboprop is louder than a jet in the cabin, and if your computer volume is set at 5 For interior volume,  a jet and turboprop will be the same.