Sign in to follow this  
b737800

ALPHA (fka Tech Alpha 2) Invite Emails

8 hours ago, steveli said:

How did you tell which one is real and which one is fake? I got the invitation from “noreply@microsoftstudios.com”.Is it real or fake?

The address tells you nothing. It is the easiest thing in the world to fake that - mine had the same sender address.

The giveaway were the links for the images in the email. They started with a malicious URL, according to sources on the net. The goal is to make you first download the pictures, thus confirming your IP address, and then ideally to make you click on those pictures or a link inside the email, and then input your Microsoft account access data.

This is not about stirring panic. I definitely got a fake invite email, and if I did, others are bound to suffer the same fate.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

40 minutes ago, reincarnate said:

Why even bother? There is nothing to read or any news. Why you people are so stressed about logging in?

Err, nice first post and, welcome.

Lol.. 

It's the typical FOMO aspect of these forums. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

The address tells you nothing. It is the easiest thing in the world to fake that - mine had the same sender address.

The giveaway were the links for the images in the email. They started with a malicious URL, according to sources on the net. The goal is to make you first download the pictures, thus confirming your IP address, and then ideally to make you click on those pictures or a link inside the email, and then input your Microsoft account access data.

This is not about stirring panic. I definitely got a fake invite email, and if I did, others are bound to suffer the same fate.

Best regards

Why people want to send you a fake invitation? What benefit they can get? I don’t see any motivation there!

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

Best regards

Every image and link in my invitation has a link that contains something with

'spmailtechno..' when I hover the cursor over them. ..I dont want to type the full thing here in case it is something malicious. I assume my invitation is fake then? Anyone else has received such a mail? 

3 minutes ago, daowl24 said:

I assume my invitation is fake then? Anyone else has received such a mail? 

Not only have I not received an official invitation to the alpha, I've not even received the fake invitation to the alpha, LOL!  😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Not only have I not received an official invitation to the alpha, I've not even received the fake invitation to the alpha, LOL!  😄

I guess you've only got 4GB of RAM then.

3 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Maybe even spammers feel sorry for us.

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

17 minutes ago, daowl24 said:

'spmailtechno..' when I hover the cursor over them. ..I dont want to type the full thing here in case it is something malicious. I assume my invitation is fake then? Anyone else has received such a mail? 

I don't want to say too much, but It sounds like you've received a legit invitation.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

23 minutes ago, daowl24 said:

.My view is it is genuine.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

9 hours ago, zemez said:

Why are you panicking? You got your invite, and you will get access soon. I would pay to be in your position.

If you're talking about me, i'm not panicking at all. If i get it, i got it, if not, i didn't. Life goes on.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Thank you for your replies, well lets wait and see then. Just that spmail thing in the links with a long string of random letters and numbers looks very suspicious to me, now that it was brought to the conversation by Lorby_SI

1 hour ago, steveli said:

Why people want to send you a fake invitation? What benefit they can get? I don’t see any motivation there!

For the same reason every phishing email is sent. To confirm that my email address exists, possibly gaining my IP address to attack the router (when I download the pictures that are normally suppressed), and when I'm dumb enough to follow a link in the email and then type in my username and password, to get access to my account, including payment details etc. Or deliver a payload of some kind, like a trojan or a keylogger when I click on the pictures or just allow them to be downloaded.

Everyone is getting those emails, and those who send them will use any means necessary to make them look genuine. I have received phishing mails seemingly sent by my credit card company, my bank, Amazon, Ebay, and a ton of other sites where I don't even have an account. Let alone the really funny ones where someone wants to give me a couple of million $$. These emails are sent by automated servers btw. You can buy malware. Phishing, viruses, trojans and the delivery mechanism are provided as a service by specialized "companies" on the darknet if you are so inclined.

I have long ago stopped asking why humans do anything.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

3 hours ago, eaim said:

I still can't log in to the Insiders area.

When I try to login it only see's me as a visitor, yet when i go to the forum it shows my insiders username....... strange.

and still the same for me, well, I gues they get it fixed

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD