Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Opinions on RAM please

Maybe a better choice might be to resolve whether it lasts longer or continues performing well when nearing max temp. How latency is affected or has effect with those parameters.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Correct.Thank you Mike, for a minute I thought people were not reading properly! :wink:   opinions on Patriot Viper Steel 2x 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM  

I look for brand (DIMM and/or DRAM chip), frequency, and CAS latency to assess memory.  One of those is missing from your question, so I couldn't give you an informed opinion on that RAM...which is my point.

Patriot is reputable, 3200 MHz is a reasonable memory frequency for your CPU and Z170 chipset...but the missing latency figure leaves me unable to guess as to whether it's good RAM or not...if it's garbage bin CAS 18 stuff, then I wouldn't recommend it.  CAS 16 (10ns true latency) would be an average consumer grade DIMM.  CAS 14 or 15 would be performance grade (and at CAS 14 knowing what kind of DRAM devices and their configuration might be a factor, too.

It's sort of like if someone asked me "your opinion on a 1969 Camaro?" without mention of which engine.  A 427 or 350...great.  A 396 or 327, meh, OK.  A 283, well, no.

Regards

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

More or less appears to say the same thing that frequency matters. You don't need your wheels spinning faster than the road going past. And unless you drive around all the time at 200mph, you can save fuel on a smaller engine.

Then of course we have to consider memory access is organised into pre-ordered Transactions across those multiple cores, and data scrambled to avoid harmonics with repetitive data. But if it can't be accessed, written to and read back, at the frequency, then it is lower frequency, and at that frequency it will exhibit a certain latency.

Edited by SteveW

Thanks for all the advice fellas, appreciated.

• Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

You're welcome!

12 hours ago, w6kd said:

they also market some pretty mediocre memory as something it isn't.  Caveat emptor.

As a moderator, or otherwise, is OK to make claims, that may or may not, be true. Can you say on AVSIM that company B are misrepresenting their items for sale?

I asked for proof but have no answer. If they are in jail then perhaps you are correct, but then, you still might not be

I did a small series of benchmarks with different memory speeds. Scenario was Aerosoft EGLL, P3dv4.5 HF2, FSlabs a320x (newest version), take-off from 9L, fly straight out to 3000ft, turn right to intercept ILS and auto-land back at 27L.
These tests are much too small to provide any quality data, but these data correlate perfectly to Geekbench 3 memory scores as well.

The difference is measurable, but is it noticeable? Probably not. However, frame-times were much more consistent at 3400 16-19-19-38.

3200 16-18-18-38 (XMP)
Prepar3D.exe benchmark completed, 20243 frames rendered in 529.984 s
                     Average framerate  :   38.1 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   31.6 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   42.3 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   27.3 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   22.6 FPS

3400 16-19-19-38 (Tight Secondary, Tertiary Timings)
Prepar3D.exe benchmark completed, 20667 frames rendered in 522.125 s
                     Average framerate  :   39.5 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   34.6 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   44.4 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   29.8 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   23.2 FPS

3500 16-20-20-38 (Tight Secondary, Tertiary Timings)
Prepar3D.exe benchmark completed, 20222 frames rendered in 510.797 s
                     Average framerate  :   39.5 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   31.8 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   44.4 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   28.3 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   22.5 FPS

• Like 1

Asus Strix X570-E  |  Ryzen 9 5950X  |  Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC  |  GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600  |  Samsung 970 EVO  |  Acer Predator XB271HU  |  Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, SteveW said:

As a moderator, or otherwise, is OK to make claims, that may or may not, be true. Can you say on AVSIM that company B are misrepresenting their items for sale?

I asked for proof but have no answer. If they are in jail then perhaps you are correct, but then, you still might not be

From their website: "Crucial Ballistix(r) Gaming Memory - High Performance Overclocking memory with RGB"  https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ballistix-ram

And the first product listed on that page is part number BL2K4G24C16U4B, an 8GB kit of 2400 MHz CAS 16 DIMMs.  Now that there is some real "high performance overclocking memory", right??

They are marketing slow 13.33ns RAM under the heading of "high performance," which is exactly the sort of marketing spin I'm referring to.  As I said before, Caveat Emptor--let the buyer beware.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

So you mean they market with a knowledge that folk don't know enough about it, but they don't lie. That's perfectly true for a lot of things. Not sure why you bring it up though as it seems to have no bearing on the advice for watching latency.

The fact still remains that 2400 memory is 2400 memory. Clearly seen with the benchmarks, the difference of speed increases with frequency, and it's not a whole lot because it's working on a complicated transaction process from the memory controller anyway.

The problem for some folk is paying for too much for when they don't need it. Having said that I always like to buy extra nice stuff like Robs RAM, pretty, pretty.

8 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Thanks for all the advice fellas, appreciated.

You actually made sense of all that? I've got to be as thick as two short planks! :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Well Ron. A Nanosecond is a very small flying time.

3 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Well Ron. A Nanosecond is a very small flying time.

Another helpful hint. I'll bear that in mind. :smile:

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On that site said it was unglamorous game memory ballistix black something like that:

So 2400 CL16 = 6.7ns

But with faster memory even though latency is higher, it is faster:

But 3200 CL19 = 5.9ns

So go for frequency.