Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Recent 9900K 1151 w/ Noctua air cooler build?

Just now, martin-w said:

Yes, the S comes with one fan. It comes with clips in case you wish to BUY and add a second fan

If you buy a D15, not the S, that's fine, but just know you will have a cooler that is very close to your graphics card and without the improved ram clearence.

The S is, IIRC, is cheaper than the D15, so you shouldn't be spending more money by buying the S and a second fan if/when you need it.

You wont need a second fan though, not for a mere two degrees extra cooling.

It's your choice, but Personally I dont see the point in opting for the D15 and losing out on the better compatability of the S. The S is the high compatability version.

I think you are saying indeed the design is different, the D15S is not a D15 but w/ one fan, correct?  Just wanted to be sure because who knows I may have no problems w/ ram/gpu clearance issues and if that's true then I would add the other fan.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Yes this is the no-brainer then thanks!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I think you are saying indeed the design is different, the D15S is not a D15 but w/ one fan, correct?  Just wanted to be sure because who knows I may have no problems w/ ram/gpu clearance issues and if that's true then I would add the other fan.

Yes the S is a different design. The heat pipes are angled to one side to take the cooler further away from the graphics card. And theres a slight improvement in RAM clearence.

I put the S in the cart and added the 2nd fan for only $21 so I'm good to go.  I know it's only 2 degrees but what the hey the entire package, so far is at about $2,800 USD so it's chump change really.  It's actually $1,600 but I won't be buying the GPU until RTX3080 Ti arrives and that will probably be around $1200 +/-.  My old GTX Titan will have do until then.  Thanks Martin for keeping me focused on high compatibility model I did not follow that from the start correctly.

Spoiler

Noel

On 2/22/2020 at 7:46 AM, vortex681 said:

It’s a great case and I can’t see mine needing to be replaced for the next few builds, at least. I’m sure you’ll be pleased with it, plus it gives you some spare cash for other things.

I just noticed something that might be an issue so maybe you can assuage my concern.  On the  Enthoo Pro they state this:

Max GPU Length Allowance: 347mm / 472mm (w/o HDD Cages)

I will have one or two 3.5" HDD and 3 2.5 SSD.  Will I need to have the HDD cage installed?  I plan to buy RTX3080Ti, or whatever the Ampere top tier GPU is, so I must have ample accommodation.  The Corsair Obsidian 750D states 450mm.

Noel

12 hours ago, Noel said:

I will have one or two 3.5" HDD and 3 2.5 SSD.  Will I need to have the HDD cage installed?

See: http://www.phanteks.com/assets/manuals/PH-ES614P_Western.pdf

If you look at page 26, you’ll see that there are 2 HDD cages. I removed the upper one and just used the lower one which gives space for 3 drives - HDD or SSD. This gives you the same basic configuration as the 750D. The case comes with one SSD mounting tray which clips to the back of the motherboard mounting plate and you can optionally mount another SSD lower on the plate (you have to buy the extra mounting tray but it’s inexpensive).  This would then give you a total of 5 HDD/SSDs. You could also consider using M2/PCI-E SSDs, which are generally faster anyway, if you started to run out of mounting options.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

@Noel - just an additional thought. If you want good airflow, the Corsair 750D might not be the best for the job due to the proximity of the front plate to the fans. See: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b1X1ur2-LFg

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thank Vortex 4 drives total is perfect so sounds like no worries on the Enthoo.  Plus I just looked up he length of 2080Ti and presumably the 3080 will be similar, and it's only 267mm long so even w/ the 2nd cage might be good to go anyway.

I do have one last very minor concern:  I'm not particularly keen on have a cover on the input panel on the top front.  Can that cover be removed do you know?  The Enthoo looks fabulous especially at this price point, and I've ordered an additional 4 Phantek 140mm fans, two outflow for the top and two intake for the bottom which should supply good air flow.  I've been talking about a new build for at over a year and am excited it's time to go for it!  As mentioned I will have to be patient for the 3080Ti to arrive but it works out well for other life plans right now--we'll be living in two locations about 6 months so it will help to have two fully functional machines if the old one is still alive.  

Thanks again to all!

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I do have one last very minor concern:  I'm not particularly keen on have a cover on the input panel on the top front.  Can that cover be removed do you know?

If you mean the top of the front panel, at the very top is a flap which covers the media ports, reset button and USB sockets. It flips up and retracts slightly. Underneath it are 3 blanking plates which cover the spaces for internal media-type drives (CD-ROM, etc) so can’t be removed without just leaving a hole. Having said that, the included 200mm fan below them moves a lot of air (even at low speed) so you don’t lose anything airflow-wise by having them there.

I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with the Enthoo Pro. It’s a quality case which even comes with a reusable plastic accessory case containing all of screws, cable ties and straps - a nice touch.

Edited by vortex681

I love the way Phanteks  do that, provide a nice plastic box for all the screws. Other manufacturers just chuck em in a cardboard box.

Enthoo  Pro will be a great case. Stuns me how they make the cases for the price they do. My Evolv is a steel frame with all aluminium panels. The front panel is a hefty thick block of aluminium.

I have to say, I've not had a case before as nice as Phanteks.

They listen to customers too. When it was noted that the Evolv was having issues with radiators due to limited airflow at the front, they desighned the X with far better front ant top airflow but the same great Evolv aesthetics.

Edited by martin-w

11 hours ago, vortex681 said:

It flips up and retracts slightly.

I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with the Enthoo Pro. It’s a quality case which even comes with a reusable plastic accessory case containing all of screws, cable ties and straps - a nice touch.

Great suggestion I am ordering this case thanks again so much it will be a great place to start.  It's been over 6y since my last build so it really will be nice to pick up another 40% more processing power it will def make a difference for flight simming.

Noel

Got the PSU, mobo, cpu/cooler, ram, & NVme drives installed in the wonderful Enthoo Pro case!  Wow, it is great to work in and should have fabulous air flow.  I did put the extra fan on the NH-D15S as I might as well get every last bit of cooling out of it.  I opted for negative flow biased with case fans installing 3x140mm outflow in the top and one inflow in the bottom, and of course it comes w/ the 200mm in front and one 140mm in back, plus there's the PSU outflow fan.  I'm tempted to finish it off w/ another intake on the bottom but it's probably about as good as it's going to get.  Have to route the cabling and figure out how to use the fan controller, then install Win 10...then figure out how to make Win 10 look and feel like Win 7 :blush:

Thanks all for the recommendations should be up and running w/ any luck tomorrow sometime if all goes well.

Edited by Noel

Noel

I dunno about negative pressure air flow.  Seems to me that will cause air to be drawn in through every little crack and crevice, which means not all of the air entering the case will be filtered to remove dust.  I'm a fan of positive case air pressure, with intake fans on the front pushing filtered air into my case.  The inside definitely stays cleaner and I generally clean the inside of the case about twice a year.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yep. Certainly for absolutely optimal cooling negative pressure works, it takes advantage of the huge amount of atmospheric pressure. Nature abhors a vaccuum.

However, dust ingress will certainly be high. I never configure a PC with negative pressure these days. Balanced is perfect but almost impossible to ensure. So I always go for positive pressure. It stuns me how little dust my PC ingests with this set up. And still cools all components beautifully.

As long as you have enough vents for the air to escape, positive pressure is the way to go in my experience.