Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Hows that Nvidia Frame limiter working out?

noel.  I'm not sure I'm understanding you.  But I'm simply looking to compare using RTSS instead of nvidia to lock P3D at 30hz.  The reason I do this is I believe it eases the load on the processor and as a result gives me smoother performance.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

@Noel, the change from 60Hz to 30Hz refresh rate for your monitor is a global one that affects everything including mouse reaction. That's the main reason I kept to 60Hz. But the problem running at 60Hz is you're pushing CPU0 beyond what it's capable of delivering and the result is stutters whilst the system plays catchup. If you're not getting stutters at 60Hz maybe your settings are preventing that.

Your target should be to get CPU0 to less than 100%. There are various ways of achieving that such as reducing scenery complexity, fewer Ai etc. The newest way is via the NCP fps limiter which appears to do a better job than the limiter in P3D itself.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

yep.  What Ray said.  The test I'm seeking to perform now is to determine if Nvidia Control Panel or RTSS does a better job of locking and providing smoothness.  Why I don't have complaints with NCP.  Some on this site have said RTSS handles this task better and on their setup produces better smoothness.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I don't see it, fortunately.  I only use this Win 10 install for P3D, so global effects just are not relevant.  I use the 2nd boot for all other PC needs and in that boot refresh is at 60.  This is another reason to use dual boot IMHO.  Can't beat the fluid, stutter-free performance using 30Hz vsync.  As for my brief trial of vsync to 60 it's highly doable you just need to be in something like the Majastic Q400, and stay in gentler environments.  Clearly that is the holy grail, but as you point out Ray it's not going to happen for general flying in more complex conditions.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

yep.  What Ray said.  The test I'm seeking to perform now is to determine if Nvidia Control Panel or RTSS does a better job of locking and providing smoothness.  Why I don't have complaints with NCP.  Some on this site have said RTSS handles this task better and on their setup produces better smoothness.  

I have used both and like the new NCP method better, mainly because the CPU load is measurably decreased.  RTSS did a good job smoothing at 1/2 refresh, but my CPU0 was running flat out.  With NCP at 29 fps, my CPU0 has lots of headroom.

Bert

@Noel, you need to post your hardware specs preferably in your sig. Sim, CPU, GPU, Nvidia driver version,  RAM and resolution. Without those it’s hard to advise.

I can get CPU0 below 100% flying over central London in a PC12 with Ai traffic limited to 80. Without FSUIPC limiting Ai the count is around 320. Frame rates increase from 20 to 30 by just restricting Ai and slightly adjusting scenery autogen. And that’s at 3840*2160 @ 60Hz with fps limited to 29 in NCP.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

I have used both and like the new NCP method better, mainly because the CPU load is measurably decreased.  RTSS did a good job smoothing at 1/2 refresh, but my CPU0 was running flat out.  With NCP at 29 fps, my CPU0 has lots of headroom.

Thanks Bert.  Do you simply change the refresh rate under resolution in NCP?  Or do you change it in manage 3D Settings/Program Settings (P3D)/ Max Frame Rate?    Just curious.  Always looking to improve my setup

Bert and I posted at the same time.

Greg

Edited by lownslo
Duplicate post

55 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Thanks Bert.  Do you simply change the refresh rate under resolution in NCP?  Or do you change it in manage 3D Settings/Program Settings (P3D)/ Max Frame Rate?    Just curious.  Always looking to improve my setup

The latter:  Max Frame Rate set to 29.

In P3D: fps Unlimited, vsync off.

• Like 1

Bert

10 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Bert, I'm curious why you would turn VSync off. I'll try it tomorrow to see the difference.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

34 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Do you apply any other settings in NCP?  Right now I have Prefer max performance, and TB and vertical sync both set to on in NCP.  Not sure those two need to be on however. 

I use 60Hz monitor, 30 FPS (not 29 and not 31) setting in NCP, Unlimited FPS in P3D4v5. Overall this way things run a little smoother for me in congested sceneries than traditional 30Hz monitor, FPS Unlimited+Vsync in P3Dv4.5. And the mouse gets more responsive @60Hz monitor, though I don't use it much.

Cheers,

57 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Do you apply any other settings in NCP?  Right now I have Prefer max performance, and TB and vertical sync both set to on in NCP.  Not sure those two need to be on however. 

Everything else set to default.

• Upvote 1

Bert

28 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

Anyone else seen this?

Has been discussed many times over... As SteveW pointed out, getting more cooks in the kitchen involved in cooking your meal, may not get your food done any sooner, nor better..

Stick with what LM designed :cool:

• Upvote 1

Bert