Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Hows that Nvidia Frame limiter working out?

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Has been discussed many times over... As SteveW pointed out, getting more cooks in the kitchen involved in cooking your meal, may not get your food done any sooner, nor better..

Stick with what LM designed :cool:

Hi Bert,

Sorry I've been out of the loop.

What does 'Stick with what LM designed' mean in this case.

3 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

Hi Bert,

Sorry I've been out of the loop.

What does 'Stick with what LM designed' mean in this case.

Don't fiddle with Affinity Settings after starting P3D.. let it run "as designed"..

Bert

Hmm. LM didn't design all the bits which I run beside P3D, so I still use affinity masks to control it all as recommended many times.

All I can say is that I can scream around in very fast jets at 200ft at Mach2+ for long flights over many countries with photo scenery everywhere and have no blurries, so I'm not about to reinvent my configuration yet again when all the advice given previously is working perfectly.

It seems people just can't stop fiddling.

I don’t see a noticeable difference between any of the three options for limiting FPS. There is quite literally nothing you can do to have a perfectly smooth, stutter-free P3D install with a decent number of add-ons. And I don’t know why people jump on this forum to claim otherwise. It’s all placebo. Or comparison scenarios that aren’t 1:1. My advice is to use whatever option is most convenient. I’m using the Nvidia limiter because I play other games that run at more than 30 FPS (Amazing, right?!) and this way I can keep my monitor at 144hz. 

5 hours ago, SledDriver said:

Hmm. LM didn't design all the bits which I run beside P3D, so I still use affinity masks to control it all as recommended many times.

I did not say  "Do not use Affinity Masks.."

I said  "Do not adjust them after starting P3D to force P3D off its selected cores.. " :happy:

• Upvote 2

Bert

21 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Noel, you need to post your hardware specs preferably in your sig. Sim, CPU, GPU, Nvidia driver version,  RAM and resolution. Without those it’s hard to advise.

Thank you Ray, but truthfully I wasn't looking for any advise, just curious how this topic lives on.  As I said I have perfectly smooth performance always already and have for years on old hardware by living w/in my processing means, which just improved by about +35%, which is a lot!  And, all cores are quite often quite busy, and quite balanced.  Standing by for NV 3080Ti/Titan when it arrives.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

@Noel, that’s fair enough. I can see you have a powerful machine and with suitable settings it will be fine. I assume you’re running at 1920*1080 which is only a quarter of the load of UHD.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

i was assuming the same thing.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

18 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I did not say  "Do not use Affinity Masks.."

I said  "Do not adjust them after starting P3D to force P3D off its selected cores.. " :happy:

Aha. OK. Thanks Bert.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Noel, that’s fair enough. I can see you have a powerful machine and with suitable settings it will be fine. I assume you’re running at 1920*1080 which is only a quarter of the load of UHD.

No I'm running 3440x1440, so a little more than half of UHD.  I have a 50" UHD too but I prefer the ultra wide 21:9 formatting.  To me it's a better fit to my natural visual field.  But I have a 6.5 y/o GPU too.  Really looking forward to Ampere.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 3/16/2020 at 8:13 PM, Chapstick said:

I don’t see a noticeable difference between any of the three options for limiting FPS. There is quite literally nothing you can do to have a perfectly smooth, stutter-free P3D install with a decent number of add-ons. And I don’t know why people jump on this forum to claim otherwise. It’s all placebo. Or comparison scenarios that aren’t 1:1. My advice is to use whatever option is most convenient. I’m using the Nvidia limiter because I play other games that run at more than 30 FPS (Amazing, right?!) and this way I can keep my monitor at 144hz. 

Agree. Nothing seems to make a real difference.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

On 3/16/2020 at 5:13 PM, Chapstick said:

8 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Agree. Nothing seems to make a real difference.

I have to assume the above comment assumes keeping vertical refresh at 60Hz or higher, correct?

I mention this because, unlike using your mouse to pan the desktop, or reducing mouse lag in games requiring fastest response, flying just simply doesn't demand this.  If you have other things to do on your desktop besides running P3D, just switch monitor back to 60 if you need to.  I never do because I use dual boot and P3D gets its own OS and install, which also means I do not need any kind of antivirus/malware installed because I don't web surface or do anything else in this install beyond flying.

Hard to believe anyone here hasn't already tried and experienced this, but with the above comment I'm going to take a guess perhaps it's worth mentioning just in case.

I've had 'perfectly smooth, stutter-free P3D' for over 6.4y now and most of that until last week was on very dated hardware--3930K @4.3Ghz to be clear.  And I mean just that:  ultra smooth, no tearing w/ panning, on the taxiways or in the air, no stutters, smooth as silk.  The caveats are:

1.  Must adjust settings to insure can maintain frame rate of 30 w/ the least variability, and that latter is the indicator you're about to get close to sub 30 demand.

2.  Must not let GPU load exceed 96% or so.

If you can do the above (which everyone can who knows how to adjust sliders and knows what they do), and you can live w/ monitor refresh rate of 30, you too will experience perfectly smooth, stutter-free performance.  With my new 9900K build the only thing that changes is I can be more liberal w/ CPU related sliders, and can now fly into much more complex scenarios and still meet the two caveats above, but still need to live w/in the hardware's capability.  I can't stand incessant tweaking and testing--did it for years in the past but once discovering the magic w/ this all drive to improve disappeared because you can't beat perfect.  I did experience the next level of 'perfect', which is the same setup at 60Hz refresh, with the caveat of must maintain FR of 60 or better, which I deem the Holy Grail.  I can do it now in something like the Majestic Q400 as long as I stay in reasonable scenery.  But to be honest in the flight sim environment screen refresh of 30 is not nearly the type of problem stutters etc are.  The magic, of course, is setting frame rate to UNLIMITED, Vsync enabled, w/ or w/o triple buffering.  And one last time:  YOU MUST fully respect the above two caveats else a stutter fest will ensue!  

Edited by Noel
  • Upvote 1

Noel

Anybody with RTSS help have any ideas to guide me.  I've read and watched some youtubes.  It appears that RTSS is not kicking in after I've made a P3D profile.  Is there a trick to trigger RTSS to engage?

Here is a picture of my setting

https://imgur.com/gallery/Hl4pGYw

Edit:  figured it out.  Needed to reboot.  At this point I've played around with RTSS/P3D/NCP and in my case just simply changing resolution in NCP seems to be the smoothest.  But the difference between all the various options was slight. 

Edited by micstatic
add

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Anybody with RTSS help have any ideas to guide me.  I've read and watched some youtubes.  It appears that RTSS is not kicking in after I've made a P3D profile.  Is there a trick to trigger RTSS to engage?

Here is a picture of my setting

https://imgur.com/gallery/Hl4pGYw

Edit:  Do you need to use afterburner also?  I don't have this installed

Those settings do not look right to me..

You have to either:

Set the framerate limit to non-zero

or

Click on Scanline Sync until you get x/2, and set a non zero value (try -10)

Bert

hey burt.  Thanks so much.  So are you saying perhaps to try Framerate Limit= 0 and Scanline Sync x/2= -10