Sign in to follow this  
shane2801

P3d - GPU Or CPU Driven??

I find that a lot of the P3D Settings are CPU bound aside from Dynamic Lights, Clouds, AA and resolution. 

For me, anything else substantially will affect fluidity when pushed too far due to the CPU bottlenecks.

1 hour ago, Chock said:

All this is why many flight simmers are in for a shock when they get hold of the new MSFS 2020. They've been so used to having to have a PC which was a sledgehammer to crack a walnut in running FSX, since it was so CPU-bound and CPU development had slowed down a lot, that many are still stuck in this mindset instead of realising that with the new MS sim, a fairly decent gaming PC with a good GPU will run it well, instead of requiring a ridiculously overpowered and stupidly expensive 'run FSX with all my add-ons' PC, as has been the case prior to this. 

Do you know something we don't..? :huh:

Bert

It seems that whatever the subject of a topic, there is no escape from a reference to the new flight simulator, in terms that suggest that it will be perfect in every way. I do hope that this proves to be the case but history suggests that it may not be, at least not from the "day one purchase" that its disciples will make. There is a real possibility that the furore of hyperbole may raise expectations beyond the achievable reality.

There is a miss conception about video cards requirement FOR ALL SIMULATORS. 

Flight simulators don't operate like games, I explained this before: 

What matters the most is the VRAM instead of CUDA CORES. When you guys see stutters and your CPU CORE ZERO is stuck at 100% it means your VRAM is starved and your system is struggling to keep up with the speed of the GPU while trying to provide normal RAM to handle video rendering operations.

All simulators are affected by this, XP, P3D, FS2, DCS and even the new shinny sim...

S.

• Like 1

Symbol Said:

"What matters the most is the VRAM instead of CUDA CORES. When you guys see stutters and your CPU CORE ZERO is stuck at 100% it means your VRAM is starved and your system is struggling to keep up with the speed of the GPU while trying to provide normal RAM to handle video rendering operations."

What about the situation where the GPU has plenty of headroom in both usage and available ram, plus CPU core 0 is not at 100% and also has plenty headroom available - yet P3D will just not get the frame rate up to even 30 fps for an effective 30 hz vsync...

Otherwise yeah, maxing the GPU to 100% usage or using all the GPU ram will kill a framerate right then and there and result in a stuttering mess for sure.

Best to keep a GPU and CPU monitoring tool set running on another screen to tune the P3D config to keep in the sweet spot of CPU and GPU use.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Do you know something we don't..? :huh:

I know MS don't  want to make a PC flight simulator which only a few people will buy because you need a four grand PC to run it on. They"ve been there and done that.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, Chock said:

I know MS don't  want to make a PC flight simulator which only a few people will buy because you need a four grand PC to run it on. They"ve been there and done that.

Well hardware requirements are always higher with any new technology.. There is no way anybody will be able to achieve results as shown on the PR videos with a hardware that is 6 or 5 years old.. we have to be realistic here..

S.

6 hours ago, simbol said:

When you guys see stutters and your CPU CORE ZERO is stuck at 100% it means your VRAM is starved and your system is struggling to keep up with the speed of the GPU while trying to provide normal RAM to handle video rendering operations.

If my VRAM usage is around 4 GB out of 8 GB available, surely VRAM starvation is not the issue..  In my case it is more likely that my CPU cannot keep up with scenery loading requirements in "busy" scenery areas..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

10 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If my VRAM usage is around 4 GB out of 8 GB available, surely VRAM starvation is not the issue..  In my case it is more likely that my CPU cannot keep up with scenery loading requirements in "busy" scenery areas..

Hi Bert,

Well yes, you are correct. There is a balance required.. an Intel Core i7 6820HK running at 2.8 GHz with a video card 2080Ti is not going to performs as good as an Intel core 9900k running at 5.0 Ghz with the same video card.

The OP asked questions about video cards.. it is better to choose one card with more VRAM as this is what P3D will consume first and faster when the sliders are set to the right. Obviously having a CPU able to support the speed of such card will also help.

S.

Edited by simbol