Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Is a mesh addon still recommended in P3Dv5?

Hello all,

Here's something I've been wondering about. P3Dv5 reportedly includes all new world-wide data, to the point that OrbX have said that they do not intend to convert Vector to v5, because v5 includes data that is often newer than what vector includes. I was wondering what the situation is with respect to mesh addons? I've been happily using FreemeshX, but if somebody tells me that this is unnecessary because v5 icludes the same or similar quality mesh, I will not hesitate to get rid of Freemesh. Anybody have any idea?

My suspicion is that Freemesh still includes higher resolution mesh data, given that it's 46GB of mesh data alone, whereas I've heard that v5 is 44GB for the entire simulator, but I'd be happy to hear if even particular continets could be omitted (e.g., don't have to use Freemesh's Europe and Noth America, because perhaps v5 includes data that is on par with that of Freemesh).

Any answers would be appreciated!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

That's a good question. I've seen a not yet activated offer by Pilot's for an upgrade of their Ultimate NG Mesh (for an upgrade fee) at Simmarket a few days ago. However, I don't find the link anymore. On the other hand, FSELITE states in their compatibility list FSGLOBAL Ultimate NG 2020 Confirmed by developer + upgrade fee.

My personal take is the native Mesh is still not as good as this one (and probably Freemesh, as you suspect), but this has to be seen yet.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Given that you have your Mesh Install somewhere on your HD, I guess it can be done manually by adding Mesh Scenery Folders to the Scenery.cfg.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

23 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Given that you have your Mesh Install somewhere on your HD, I guess it can be done manually by adding Mesh Scenery Folders to the Scenery.cfg.

The question was whether I still need to though, not how to do it - P3Dv5 comes with updated world scenery and terrain data - is it going to be on par with FreemeshX or other such scenery addons, or not? Adding it will be simple - I already have the xml file for it in P3Dv4, so I'll simply drop it's addon.xml file in P3Dv5's Addons fodler and that should do it. But, as I said - should I? 😉 

My consideration is all about disk space. I'd be happy to get rid of whatever I can in order to conserve disk space, and mesh data can use a lot of space.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Just now, Benjamin J said:

The question was whether I still need to though, not how to do it - P3Dv5 comes with updated world scenery and terrain data - is it going to be on par with FreemeshX or other such scenery addons, or not? Adding it will be simple - I already have the xml file for it in P3Dv4, so I'll simply drop it's addon.xml file in P3Dv5's Addons fodler and that should do it. But, as I said - should I? 😉 

Sorry I misunderstood. Maybe you are right. I could not see any difference in Seattle area compared with FSGX2018.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Ah really? That's good to hear. It'd be interesting to see some comparison shots in South America, e.g. SKBO. P3Dv4 and older had horrible inaccurate mesh for those mountainous regions. I'm curious of P3Dv5 is improved.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

i hope not.  Point of new sim should be that some old addons need to be depreciated as things get fixed (those addons were fixing something not enhancements).  Looks like I do not need Time zone fixer as LM fixed time.  Vector is not needed also as LM changed the vectors.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Terrain data is a very broad term, I agree. It could be all three it could be just landclass and vector data.

One thing seems clear that at least the vector data is greatly enhanced. ORBX states that they won't port over their VECTOR product as the new data in P3DV5 is more accurate and complete.

The only thing I'm not hot about is that tunnels seem to be not part of that dataset and therefore roads can visibly run across mountains.

Vector has been ORBX' stepchild over (as they say) 10 versions. I suspect they are glad to see a chance to get rid of it. I rarely used it as I fly mostly within ORBX regions anyway.

It remains to be shown if the AEC corrections will be missed, but perhaps (hopefully) these will no longer be required in view of better mesh and sloped runways.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I do not find Vector to be a loss. I junked it pretty quick after I bought it. Tis the only thing from ORBX that I ever have had a problem with.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

So you guys are saying that Orbx vector isn't worth it in P3D v5?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

16 minutes ago, captain420 said:

So you guys are saying that Orbx vector isn't worth it in P3D v5?

There is no Orbx Vector for P3Dv5.

The vector data that ships with P3Dv5 is in many cases newer than what was included with Orbx Vector.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 minutes ago, B777ER said:

How will AEC work then?

AEC does not apply, it is for v4 / Orbx Vector.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

8 minutes ago, B777ER said:

How will AEC work then?

Well, there won’t be an AEC without vector, because it was a part of vector. I for one am delighted that v5’s data is newer than Vector’s. I hated Vector with a passion, but used it out of necessity. It upgraded the world immensely and added some nice features. However, its organization was a mess and always have me trouble. Let alone the airport elevation corrections. My interactions with AEC was to turn it off, rather than to actually use it...

I will say this: I believe that the 3D streetlights that Orbx had were actually a part of Vector, so this is something I’ll miss. But am I even right in thinking that, or did the 3D streetlights actually derive from a different package?

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt