Sign in to follow this  
tamsini

Prepar3D v5.0 - Can someone do me a favor?

Hello all, first off - this is not in any way P3D bashing, I have always been a huge P3D fan and absolutely adored v4.5. But,with reluctance, I uninstalled and had a refund of P3D v5 due to the fact that, even with a GTX 1070 and 8GB of vRAM, I kew I wasn't going to make it. I hadn't even installed any "big guns" yet and I had multiple OOM which made my blood boil. And yet, I see some with 1060s saying it runs great etc etc.

So the favor I am asking is: can someone with a similar card try LatinVFR Miami with a GA aircraft and let me know the vRAM usage upon loading? I tried this with the RealAir Turbine Duke and the Alabeo M20 and the sim loaded with 6.2 vRAM usage out of a possible 6.7. Needless to say, I did not get off the ground. 

I had turned off TrueSky and had most slider to the left in hopes that I could gradually move them a bit at a time. I also ran it in HD and not in 4K which I thought would have helped. After hours of experimenting, I realized that once I load PMDG and FSLabs, I would have zero chance.

I'm also hoping that LM will do some sort of memory optimization in the next few weeks that I can once again give it a whirl. 

Hoping someone can run the simple test for me!

THANKS!

Mario Di Lauro

I don't have the same card as you, but with RTX 2080Ti  my setup shows using 5.9 out of 9.2  with the default Carenado Commander 114  at a gate with Latin VFR Miami and 6.6 out of 9.2 with the PMDG NGXu. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

With an 8GB card, setting texture resolution to 1024 is our best option if you want to use Truesky. Now if you flying out of default airports or smaller paywares, you can get away with 2048. 

I wouldn't have dumped v5 quite yet. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I couldn't even get LVFR KMIA to load on my system. I do run at 4K however.

I found KMIA had 31 textures in it that were 4096x4096 which alone took up 586MB. I resized all 31 of them in half down to 2048x2048 and they now clock in a 146MB a saving of 440MB.

That was enough for me to finally be able to at least load KMIA. It loaded at 5.9GB then as soon as the main terminal came into view I was at 6.3GB. However just a quick slew around in nothing more than the default Extra took me from 6.3 right up to 6.7 but fortunately P3D didn't crash at that moment, and I was able to slew around the airport and surrounding area for a little while. Vram was constant around 6.3-6.4GB.

It is by a large margin the heaviest on Vram of any airport I have installed. As a comparison Flightbeam KSFO clocks in at 3.9GB and never goes above 4.1GB. Of course I'm talking about total Vram used by all elements of the sim not just the airport itself using those numbers, just want that to be absolutely clear.

Of all the addon airports I've installed so far (only ones with V5 official installers) the latinVFR ones are the worst performers by quite a way. In KMIA's case its Vram, in KMSY and SCEL's case its with low FPS. At SCEL I'm getting around 28-33 FPS at every other airport I have installed I'm getting at least 45 during the day.

5 hours ago, SolRayz said:

With an 8GB card, setting texture resolution to 1024 is our best option if you want to use Truesky. Now if you flying out of default airports or smaller paywares, you can get away with 2048. 

I wouldn't have dumped v5 quite yet. 

I'll have to try 1024...didn't think of that...thanks SolRayz...!

• Like 1

I'm running 4K with 8GB VRAM.

For me at KMIA with the Q400 I can run Truesky with 2xMSAA and 1024 textures and be at about 5.5 of 6.8GB. With the FSW Lear + RXP GTN750 I had to go 1024 textures, AA off and Truesky on medium and that maxed at 6.4GB of 6.8GB. The Lear+RXP is about the same load as the Maddog and A330 in 4.5, so probably a fair approximation for other complex aircraft.

LVFR MIA is the worst I have installed so far. Everywhere else so far, including FB SFO with ORBX NorCal, I can run 2048 textures, Truesky on max and either 2xMSAA or 2xSSAA and stay under 6GB.

ORBX KSAN + Socal worked at 2048 2xMSAA also.

Need to try out ORD tomorrow.  I'll post more details tomorrow on the rest of my settings and some pictures.

Note you can trade AA for Truesky at KMIA, just depends on priorities. I prefer 2xSSAA, but I don't mind no AA in a pinch at 4K. Rather give that up than Truesky.

I also want to try forcing 2048 cockpit textures. If I recall, there is a line in the cfg file I saw in passing that sets them at 4096...

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Thank you all for this valuable feedback. I guess I'll stay on 4.5 until I can either get a new PC (in preps for the new MS sim) or LM addresses vRAM issues on 5.0 (which I'm not even sure is an actual possibility).

Mario Di Lauro

Simbol has already stated that LM are working on a fix for VRAM issues in P3Dv5.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, tamsini said:

Thank you all for this valuable feedback. I guess I'll stay on 4.5 until I can either get a new PC (in preps for the new MS sim) or LM addresses vRAM issues on 5.0 (which I'm not even sure is an actual possibility).

I have a 1080 and all the settings maxed, I get 3.9 / 6.7 at St. Maarten. I’m sorry, but there’s no predicting how your system is going to run v5. I saw someone with a 1070 who posted stunning screenshots. 

8 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

I have a 1080 and all the settings maxed, I get 3.9 / 6.7 at St. Maarten. I’m sorry, but there’s no predicting how your system is going to run v5. I saw someone with a 1070 who posted stunning screenshots. 

"Moi?"  LOL! Cheers..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Simbol has already stated that LM are working on a fix for VRAM issues in P3Dv5.

That's the best solution to these issues. Reason to wait.

Enjoying P3Dv4.5 for now.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I Have 1070 GTX. Run 2048 with TS on and sliders mostly to the right. NO 4K. LATIN VFR loaded with 3.3 in the air with 3.1GB. ORBX in and 30 FPS locked. Flying for 35 min. so far. No stutters. But Latin is hardly any comparison.

So, Deja Vu again.Wee are expecting to have same results and we all have different configurations (hardware/software...overclocked, turbo this, turbo that) and endless debate who we gonna blame and who screwed things up? I don't think that anything is broken. Works as advertised. For me only thing remains to be seen once we get real weather and clouds REX/ASP5 and how that will integrate with new engine, whatever that engine is and of course FSL/PMDG stuff. Till than I'll test this way and no issues, for now.

BUT!

Their lack of response and delays tells me that we have really something new here. They are all acting like they've see V5 first time and who knows when they had it to test and improve. But obviously there is something holding them and their releases of V5 VS's. Also bear in mind that, as expected, switch to new version is free as well. Work needs to be done and it appears that LM is waited to address issue for some who perhaps has some things installed and connected "wrong" way that triggers some issues....Saying that don't mean to offend anybody by any means because I don't know better either. But my 1070  GTX and 6700 works fine with all and everything  I have loaded.

Speaking of which while typing this comment I discover OIL platform between Keys and Cuba. And one more good thing, I finally learned how to fly Mooney...

Cheers

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Alex 

5 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Their lack of response and delays tells me that we have really something new here.

I mean it could well be that it is Sunday.

Heaven forbid someone not work on a weekend...

2 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I mean it could well be that it is Sunday.

Heaven forbid someone not work on a weekend...

Once they do will know more. For me personally before I make my final statement, I am interested to see real weather and accurate as I have in V4.5. So ASP5 (maybe that's how they gonna call it now) will give us more and once REX launch real cloud depiction and realistic colors that that will be real testament of any performance. If they don't use much I don't thing we are going to see significant issues with Jets...As far as I understood we will have CPU issues. Might only...

Alex 

6 hours ago, tamsini said:

I thought I'd share my settings for LVFR MIA that I've saved as a preset for when I fly into/out of KMIA. Because they've been working for me with an 8GB card and 4K resolution. I can maintain my 30fps via vsync and it looks great. I use between 5.7GB and 6.2GB of my 6.8GB available on my 8GB card.  FWIW, I'm happy with this. The goal is to get my sim to get the most of my hardware, so I pushed these up as high as I could get them without risking an OOVR.  Next, I'll try the same in v4.5 and see my results.

7TMa8HQ.jpg

CS7ZOCi.jpg

tAzVkUU.jpg

OvZwabE.jpg

DMgoUZh.jpg

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT