Sign in to follow this  
pgde

NDA Lifted on I9-10900K

After about eight hours of tweaking things I'm getting a sustained 5.0 on all ten cores with a Kraken 280mm AIO and Maximus XII Formula motherboard. As Pilot53 stated, it does run hot during benchmarks. It's much cooler in actual use though, since my typical workloads rarely peg every core at full utilization.

As test have shown at 5ghz due to the way the IHS and substrate has been manufactured the 10900K runs cooler than the 9900K on the same AIO cooler.  

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

16 hours ago, Hyperfocal said:

After about eight hours of tweaking things I'm getting a sustained 5.0 on all ten cores with a Kraken 280mm AIO and Maximus XII Formula motherboard. As Pilot53 stated, it does run hot during benchmarks. It's much cooler in actual use though, since my typical workloads rarely peg every core at full utilization.

Could you please share your bios settings for your overclock.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

This should give you some incite into overclocking your CPU he goes through his overclock step by step. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:32 AM, Pilot53 said:

Im at 5.2 right now with my 10900k, it runs incredibly hot.  Ive got an evga clc 360 (one of the best aio 360s for temps) with a push pull fan setup, fans running at 100%.  Everything in this build was done to maximize cpu cooling in terms of radiator placement, case selection, etc.  Prime 95 torture test maxes out my temps at 95c no avx.  If I use avx the temps climb above 105 and obviously throttle/crash.  I am running pretty high volts though, 1.42 vcore but I dont think i need it for sure, still playing around with settings.  During the 95c run my mosfet temp hit 100c and the cpu pulled 345 watts.  This is with a good 12 phase vrm aorus ultra for reference, one of the few boards with real heatsinks on the vrm.  So depending on how you look at it the cpu either cools great, or really bad.  Its not bad considering its pulling 345 watts of energy through that die, but still very hard to cool.  These chips would overclock to the moon if you could cool them. It seems like what is happening is the chip is just pulling so much power it cant transfer its heat to the ihs and waterblock fast enough.   This chip would be a good candidate for a delid/direct die solution.  

Yeah. Not wondering. The8auer is recommending a custom watercooling with 360 or even an 420 radiator when increasing all cores to 5.1 or 5.2 GhZ! He did a video in german language on Youtube. also he is recommending to use max 1.30 volt to avoid more extensive heat. 

I am expecting ine this week. I have installed a EK Water Block custom cooling with 2 360 radiators in my Lian LI OC X. I will first run the cpu with 1 360 radiator. Then with 2 and see how much I can reduce the heat. If the difference is not that big, I will use the second radiator for my Titan RTX wich also runs at 78 Celsius on aircooling.

I am aiming to get 5.1 GhZ on all 10 cores. Now I am on a 8700K with 6 cores on 5.1 GhZ stable. I´m hoping the 4 extra cores will reduce stuttering while terrain is popping in in P3D V5. As I am mainly flying VR with a Reverb and 150% steam settings and a 4K monitor I will need more "horsepower".

Btw: I do easely get 15 GB Vram on my Titan RTX! TE NL and all sliders to the right.........but my 8700k is the bottleneck now.

Marcus

My System specs:

Prepar3D_v5_Academic_5.0.24.34874

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 2004
Installed on 20200501
OS Build 19041.264
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

Latest Nvidia Drivers

HMD VR WMR HP Reverb v2
i7 8700K all cores to 5.1 GhZ HT OFF
32 GB RAM 3600 MhZ Corsair Vengeance
RTX Titan 24GB
32" Samsung UHD Monitor using highest resolution

Addons

ASP3D 7448 Open Beta
ChasePlane (via ORBX)
GSX 2
Airbus A330 1.0.2.0
PMDG 747/748
QW787 V1.3.0
Navigraph Charts/Simlink
ORBX Base
ORBX LC
ORBX TE NL
ORBX Regions
ORBX HD Buildings
ORBX HD Trees V1 & V2
Several Addon Aiports all by .xml method installed

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

Yeah. Not wondering. The8auer is recommending a custom watercooling with 360 or even an 420 radiator when increasing all cores to 5.1 or 5.2 GhZ! He did a video in german language on Youtube. also he is recommending to use max 1.30 volt to avoid more extensive heat. 

I am expecting ine this week. I have installed a EK Water Block custom cooling with 2 360 radiators in my Lian LI OC X. I will first run the cpu with 1 360 radiator. Then with 2 and see how much I can reduce the heat. If the difference is not that big, I will use the second radiator for my Titan RTX wich also runs at 78 Celsius on aircooling.

I am aiming to get 5.1 GhZ on all 10 cores. Now I am on a 8700K with 6 cores on 5.1 GhZ stable. I´m hoping the 4 extra cores will reduce stuttering while terrain is popping in in P3D V5. As I am mainly flying VR with a Reverb and 150% steam settings and a 4K monitor I will need more "horsepower".

Btw: I do easely get 15 GB Vram on my Titan RTX! TE NL and all sliders to the right.........but my 8700k is the bottleneck now.

Marcus

My System specs:

Prepar3D_v5_Academic_5.0.24.34874

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 2004
Installed on 20200501
OS Build 19041.264
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

Latest Nvidia Drivers

HMD VR WMR HP Reverb v2
i7 8700K all cores to 5.1 GhZ HT OFF
32 GB RAM 3600 MhZ Corsair Vengeance
RTX Titan 24GB
32" Samsung UHD Monitor using highest resolution

Addons

ASP3D 7448 Open Beta
ChasePlane (via ORBX)
GSX 2
Airbus A330 1.0.2.0
PMDG 747/748
QW787 V1.3.0
Navigraph Charts/Simlink
ORBX Base
ORBX LC
ORBX TE NL
ORBX Regions
ORBX HD Buildings
ORBX HD Trees V1 & V2
Several Addon Aiports all by .xml method installed

You should be able to hit 5.2 easy with that custom loop.  From what I've seen so far I lost the silicon lottery with my chip, it needs 1.42v for 5.2 but most are able to hit that speed with around 1.32v +- .04v.  Many chips can hit 5.3, but above that is tough.  The cool thing about the 10 series if you have per core hyperthreading, with HT turned off on core 0 I see p3dv4 and v5 scaling nicely along all 19 threads. I can finally completely max out the autogen sliders and v5 is smooth as silk.  With my old 6600k I didnt see any fps improvement in v5 vs v4, but with the 10900k v5 is definitely an improvement over v4, but v4 still runs very well.  I'll post some more detailed results once I get a few flights done now that its all set up, initial results show around 50 fps with orbx socal maxed out in v5, still can't do road traffic though.  

Edited by Pilot53
  • Like 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

15 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

You should be able to hit 5.2 easy with that custom loop.  From what I've seen so far I lost the silicon lottery with my chip, it needs 1.42v for 5.2 but most are able to hit that speed with around 1.32v +- .04v.  Many chips can hit 5.3, but above that is tough.  The cool thing about the 10 series if you have per core hyperthreading, with HT turned off on core 0 I see p3dv4 and v5 scaling nicely along all 19 threads. I can finally completely max out the autogen sliders and v5 is smooth as silk.  With my old 6600k I didnt see any fps improvement in v5 vs v4, but with the 10900k v5 is definitely an improvement over v4, but v4 still runs very well.  I'll post some more detailed results once I get a few flights done now that its all set up, initial results show around 50 fps with orbx socal maxed out in v5, still can't do road traffic though.  

Thanks for your reply. We will see. I will also do some tests with per core OC and HT. I will try to get much as possible on the first 3 cores and the other 7 can run at 4.9 or 5.0 GhZ. Some nice chip to play around. Did you delid it? I just watched the video of the8auer, with liquid metal he got 7 celsius average lower temps. But I am not comfortable with delidding cpu´s wich are not using thermalpaste.....

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

10 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Thanks for your reply. We will see. I will also do some tests with per core OC and HT. I will try to get much as possible on the first 3 cores and the other 7 can run at 4.9 or 5.0 GhZ. Some nice chip to play around. Did you delid it? I just watched the video of the8auer, with liquid metal he got 7 celsius average lower temps. But I am not comfortable with delidding cpu´s wich are not using thermalpaste.....

I didnt delid it, I dont have der8auers tool but im thinking about ordering one.  I will probably delid it and run direct die once he comes out with the direct die standoff for the 10 series.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

15 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

I didnt delid it, I dont have der8auers tool but im thinking about ordering one.  I will probably delid it and run direct die once he comes out with the direct die standoff for the 10 series.  

Understood. The8auer mentioned the direct die is ready engineered and now in production already. He stated it should come out very quick...no date mentioned.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Thanks for the early impressions for those who have been able to get one.

I’ll be interested to see what kind of performance is possible with an off the shelf AIO (or even air, though I’m likely going AIO) setup as these get more prevalent in the community.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

So. All installed and setup. HT Off. 10 Cores on 5.2 GhZ on 1.35V. Average Temps on P3D between 55 and 60 Celsius. But with 2x 360 Radiator on custom Loop. With HT on at 5.1 easely 80 celsius. 

Most sliders to the right.  Not all. Lod and AG Draw Distance on high. Within VR HP Reverb 30 to 45 frames. Heavy scenery low 20tis. 

Sounds less BUT it is super smooth. KMIA with LATIN VFR Super smooth. 

Without vr at klax facing city 45 to 50 FPS on this high slider settings. And of course with PMDG QW or Aerosoft A330. With stock planes as F22 add 15 to 25 fps on top. 

I dont care about fps. I wanted a stutterfree sim....especially some headroom on the chip to avoid stuttering while scenery loads in. And I achived this goal.

But I think LM has still to do some work on the cpu and gpu usage. Seems not optimized at this moment. I think we will see some improvements as time goes by. Also EA mode is on....of course.

Dont forget....I am on a Titan RTX with 24GB too.....

V5 is a big step forward. But a lot of issues still remain. Lets wait and see what the next HF brings for fixes.......

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Interesting. With HT on, if you have no AM you have 20 LPs running 20 P3D tasks. HT Off 10LPs 10 P3D tasks. Since heat = work done it's doing 55/80x100=68.75% of the work with HT Off. Since you wouldn't want 20LPs anyway, the system can only utilise so many before it uses up all the bandwidth available. it would be interesting to see what it would do with an AM of 10LPs and HT On. Also you might want to try with HT Off using 8 LPs AM=255, or 9 leaving one or two cores for the system. But still, if it's only ultimate fps you want you probably want the highest frequency you can safely do.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

17 hours ago, mpo910 said:

I dont care about fps. I wanted a stutterfree sim....especially some headroom on the chip to avoid stuttering while scenery loads in. And I achived this goal.

That should be everyone's goal when it comes to flight simulators.

With 10 cores, do you really need hyperthreading?

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

You can have 5 cores HT off and 5 HT on you can turn it on or off on any core, find your best cores set HT off and get high clocks less heat, and the rep from Intel said if you want to go for max OC buy the KF no graphics reduces load on the cpu. 

Raymond Fry.