Sign in to follow this  
pgde

NDA Lifted on I9-10900K

First real review -- https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review

Hope you have a good cooling solution.

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, Blk Ed MB; Intel I7-4790K CPU (@4.5 Ghz); Deepcool 240 AIO Cooler; 16 Gb G.Skill RAM (F3-2400); Win10 Pro (P3D V5 HF1); 2 Samsung 1Tb SSDs;Toshiba 3Tb hard drive; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k;

Yes, I agree. Cooling is going to be problematic. And without VERY good cooling this cpu will down-clock and stay at lower speeds in an eye blink...

With that big of a cooler the noise will be like sitting next to a diesel engine or something

Zicheng Cai

8 minutes ago, Cai Zicheng said:

With that big of a cooler the noise will be like sitting next to a diesel engine or something

I use an external cooling tower with two deep 360mm radiators and six fans running at low speed.  Very quiet, and with the sim running, absolutely inaudible over the sim sound.

If the heat can be transferred to the heat sink, a good (and quiet) water loop can carry it off.  The trick is getting it there...several generations of the older CPUs with paste TIM under the heat spreader couldn't transfer the heat off the die to the spreader fast enough.

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 5xSamsung SSD, eVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

3 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I use an external cooling tower with two deep 360mm radiators and six fans running at low speed.  Very quiet, and with the sim running, absolutely inaudible over the sim sound.

If the heat can be transferred to the heat sink, a good (and quiet) water loop can carry it off.  The trick is getting it there...several generations of the older CPUs with paste TIM under the heat spreader couldn't transfer the heat off the die to the spreader fast enough.

Can you share a picture of your cooling setup?

Zicheng Cai

Still top gaming CPU.

i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Still top gaming CPU.

Yup, I got mine today, waiting on the board for tomorrow then a weekend of overclocking.  Can't wait to see how she does with p3d

• Like 1

Mike Iacovetta

Windows 10 x64 | Cooler Master H500p Mesh | Intel i9-10900k @5.2GHZ Direct-Die Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra | 4x8GB DDR4-4000 C18 B-Die | GTX1080Ti H50 AIO | Seasonic PX-750 Focus Platinum | Samsung Odyssey HMD

Founder of Hardware Lens | https://hardwarelens.com | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxSXPFl9SyDtETwX_refgmQ/featured?view_as=subscriber

13 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

Yup, I got mine today, waiting on the board for tomorrow then a weekend of overclocking.  Can't wait to see how she does with p3d

Please let us know your benchmark results with P3D and or X-Plane. There are no reviews on YouTube that uses flight sims as a benchmark. This info would be useful for our community here. What motherboard and parts did you get for your 10900K build? What cooler, memory, etc.

Aaron Vinci

----------------

Intel i9 10900K (no overclock) / Windows 10 Pro 2004 64 bit / 64GB DDR4 3200MHz CL 16RAM / EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB RAM / 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) / 2TB SATA SSD / 4TB SATA HDD / 850watt PSU

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Please let us know your benchmark results with P3D and or X-Plane. There are no reviews on YouTube that uses flight sims as a benchmark. This info would be useful for our community here. What motherboard and parts did you get for your 10900K build? What cooler, memory, etc.

Yup will definitely make some detailed posts when done.  I went with the gigabyte z490 aorus ultra, new h500p mesh case with the evga clc 360 liquid cooler for the best chance at a high overclock.  I would have preferred the artic cooling freezer ii but I can't find any in stock, you can get them on eBay though if you can wait.  For ram I'm testing 3 32gb configs to see how these z490 boards handle ram.  4 dimms of high binned Samsung b die, 4 dimms of high binned micron rev e, and 2 16gb dimms of high binned Samsung b die.  I'm not sure if these boards will like 4 single rank dimms vs 2 double rank dimms best, and I won't go below 32 gigs for fs as it's pretty easy to max out 16.  My goal is 4000+ speeds on the ram

Edited by Pilot53

Mike Iacovetta

Windows 10 x64 | Cooler Master H500p Mesh | Intel i9-10900k @5.2GHZ Direct-Die Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra | 4x8GB DDR4-4000 C18 B-Die | GTX1080Ti H50 AIO | Seasonic PX-750 Focus Platinum | Samsung Odyssey HMD

Founder of Hardware Lens | https://hardwarelens.com | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxSXPFl9SyDtETwX_refgmQ/featured?view_as=subscriber

What PSU are you using? I ordered all my parts, all I'm waiting on is the CPU.

Aaron Vinci

----------------

Intel i9 10900K (no overclock) / Windows 10 Pro 2004 64 bit / 64GB DDR4 3200MHz CL 16RAM / EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB RAM / 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) / 2TB SATA SSD / 4TB SATA HDD / 850watt PSU

New CPU and the quest to squeeze FPS begins but reality is you'll probably see minimum gains in P3D if you're moving up from a 9900. I'm going to hold off until MSFS and see what the MSFS version for the Xbox has to offer.

Posted (edited)

I have to wonder when I see statements like "Leading gaming performance". As I see it gaming performance these days is practically determined by the GPU. I know legacy flight sims are the exception to that rule. But if I wanted to play the latest games on my system with a 8086K at 5.3ghz and a 2080ti and someone else built a new system with 10900K at 5.3ghz and a 2080ti would there be any real discernible difference in performance?

I guess with Prepar3D all those extra cores would/should/could make a big difference in autogen loading in the distance. My last system was 4th gen so I suppose my next one will 12th gen 😁

Edited by Quasimodo
  • Like 1

The test results I’ve seen from Gamer Nexus where pretty underwhelming when compared to a 9900K.  Apparently lots of BIOS updates so might be a while until the bugs are sorted out.

I’m more interested in it’s OC potential on my chiller setup.  Steve suggested 7+ GHz, but if that’s LN2 then not really useful for me.

But its a relatively cheap CPU, so for new market buyer, its CPU of choice for gaming.

Cheer Rob.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I’m more interested in it’s OC potential on my chiller setup.  Steve suggested 7+ GHz, but if that’s LN2 then not really useful for me.

Yeah, it is. I just watched Der8auer use it to get to 7+

• Upvote 1