Sign in to follow this  
regis9

What to Do? V5 Has Great Performance When It's Not Crashing

I'm convinced that most of the instability is caused by ActiveSky, or AS is exposing certain configurations that don't work. 

I've played a lot of games in my life and have never experienced CTDs like FSX and P3D. I had to pay $30 for FSUIPC just for the ability to autosave because CTDs make me so angry. At least with FSUIPC I can resume with only a minor disruption.

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

I'm convinced that most of the instability is caused by ActiveSky, or AS is exposing certain configurations that don't work. 

The last part is what I have found. I have not had a CTD and have had several flights in bad weather, longest being 4 hours. I do not have any PMDG or the Mad Dog.All settings at or near top. Textures at 2048. Orbx, Gep3d, UTX, UTL ai, TrackIR, Project Lasso, FTFF, ASP3D + ASCA + Envtex. EA off Most VRAM used is about 6/9.2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

My freezes have occurred even without AS active.  So, AS may be part of the problem for some, but, at the moment I don't see it as a problem.  I just want to fly the sim and enjoy the hobby, not tinker with config files and tweaks.  

Danny

Completed 4 out of 4 flights in V5, all with PMDG 747 and ASP3D. No issues so far. Longest flight was JFK-ANC were P3D was probably running around 8 hours. Currently I have EA off, haven’t tried with it on but will do that later this week just to try it out. 

7700HQ

GTX 1070 8GB

16GB RAM 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vgbaron said:

. I do not have any PMDG or the Mad Dog

That's why you're not having any issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

That's why you're not having any issues.

You have a great grasp of the obvious Alex.  🙂 

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

29 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

You have a great grasp of the obvious Alex.  🙂 

Appreciate it, thanks! 

Bit of an update, had a chance to experiment with two more flights today, both of which I'm happy to say were successful:

PMDG 747, PANC-KORD

Leonardo MD-88, KTPA-KMSP

All with payware airports (FSDT for KORD).  I bumped my textures up to 2048x2048 for the Maddog flight and increased my graphic settings a bit overall and no CTD.  I tried running at unlimited on approach to KORD with no CTD.  I also disabled the weather radar in the Maddog in case that was causing a issue related to Active Sky.

Next I'm going to try turning the weather radar back on.  Overall my suspicion is that the CTD's were caused by my overclock(s).  If all goes well after turning the weather radar back on I'm going to try re-enabling my ram overclock next.  If all is good there I'll try the CPU overclock and see if I can generate the regular CTD's again for the sake of completeness.  I have to say, with my new 2080ti I'm not really missing the overclock from 4.2ghz to 4.8ghz...pretty stable at 30fps even without it other than the approach into KORD (dropped down to low 20's).

Thanks all for the assistance, today was the best simming day I've had in a while.

Dave

Edited by regis9
  • Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On 5/26/2020 at 5:06 AM, vgbaron said:

The last part is what I have found. I have not had a CTD and have had several flights in bad weather, longest being 4 hours. I do not have any PMDG or the Mad Dog.All settings at or near top. Textures at 2048. Orbx, Gep3d, UTX, UTL ai, TrackIR, Project Lasso, FTFF, ASP3D + ASCA + Envtex. EA off Most VRAM used is about 6/9.2

So if I had a box of 100 bananas, and I started handing them out.

Then of the 100 bananas 75 of them had maggots in, but you where lucky enough to be given one of the 25 good ones would you say that box was any good? 

Vic there's pages and pages of threads about issues with V5.  Just because you and Gerald don't have issues doesn't mean others are not.  

Sure I think most of the issues are from activesky and pmdg,but just because a few people are not having problems doesn't mean there isn't an issue 

• Like 2

14ppkc-6.png

7 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

Then of the 100 bananas 75 of them had maggots in, but you where lucky enough to be given one of the 25 good ones would you say that box was any good? 

Your math is a bit off. How about 1000 bananas and 1 with maggots?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Your math is a bit off. How about 1000 bananas and 1 with maggots?

why have you got their sales figures ??

14ppkc-6.png

Enough talk about bananas. Get back on topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/26/2020 at 2:57 AM, YVRDXBLHR said:

Same here. I have a 9900, 2080 so my hardware isn't an issue and it doesn't matter what my settings are I'm literally getting different CTD's every time I fly. It irks me that LM  would release software with bugs glory and think it's OK to release HF's for the next 12 months.

Why? there's an army of beta testers on here to do it for them for nothing. 

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

16 hours ago, regis9 said:

Overall my suspicion is that the CTD's were caused by my overclock(s).

While I haven't had time to fly since my last BSOD, I checked the Windows event viewer and it shows a hardware problem reported by the CPU when the crashes occurred. I have overclocked my CPU slightly from 4.7-ish to 5 GHz using a preset from the manufacturer. I think you might be on to something here.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD