Sign in to follow this  
regis9

What to Do? V5 Has Great Performance When It's Not Crashing

If it's worth it: I also "tried" 2 flights in P3Dv4.5 HF3 using ASP3D BETA 3 and the Dash 8 and the sim crashed both times ~10min into the flight with the ntdll thingie.

It's been a while since I saw a CTD....

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

I've done 3 longish flights (I don't do more than 6 hour flights and these were all considerably less that that) in v5 with the QW787 and many shorter ones in various GA as well as a TON of messing around setting up AI etc and and I think I've seen 2 kenelbase.dll ctds none of which were during actual flights and were also both prior to HF1. With AS beta 3, now it has been incredible. VRAM so far has NOT been an issue at all. Smooth sailing so far with the aging 1080ti.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

7 hours ago, regis9 said:

I find myself in a tough place.  In my experience flying v5 I have FPS beyond what I could imagine in v4, nice and smooth in and out of major airports, to the point where it's hard to go back to v4.

However, the FPS are only nice and smooth until it seemingly inevitably crashes on me.

My record of flying airliners in v5 so far is as follows:

PMDG 747 with Active Sky beta 2, SDF-HNL, great flight until CTD nearing the pacific coast, ntdll.dll.

Maddog with Active Sky beta 3, SFO-PDX, CTD at on the ground, kernalbase.dll

Maddog with Active Sky beta 3, SFO-PDX, CTD just past TOC, kernalbase.dll

Maddog with default weather, SFO-PDX, enabled Active Sky after the previous CTD location, successfully completed flight.

Maddog with Active Sky beta 3, ATL-IAD, CTD just after takeoff, ntdll.dll.

At this point with airliners I'm 1/5, a bad average even for a major league baseball player.  I have completed a few short GA flights without issues, but I've also had a few crashes with those. 

Probably what I need to do is leave Active Sky off for a few more flights and see if I can consistently complete flights without it to try and narrow this down, or at least wait for the next beta.  I'm not really convinced there's only one issue at play here though which makes figuring it out that much more difficult.  I don't expect VRAM is an issue, I haven't seen it climb above 6.5 on any of these flights.

The performance in v5 is so tantalizingly good (I was generally around 40-50fps taxiing around imaginesim ATL tonight!), but is it worth rolling the dice on actually completing a flight (or even reaching TOC?)  At least we're finally starting to get some warm weather here so I'm spending less time with the sim and more time outside...maybe when fall hits and I start spending a lot more time simming some of this will be straightened out.

I was wondering, do you limit your FPS? running unlimited fps used to be a source of CTD at the beginning, even on a vanilla p3d hitting 200fps. Since I locked my FPS those CTD disappeared 

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Is it really advisable to be running beta versions of anything whilst Prepar3D v5 is still in beta itself?

Chris, I know you’re not a v5 flier/fan, but i’m sure you know that v5 is not in beta? Only the enhanced atmospherics are.

I believe that the core sim at standard settings is stable. 

Secondly, should people be using beta products with it? I would say yes - Active Sky adds a lot of immersion, and only a beta is available.

I am happy with the stability of V5 with enhanced atmospherics (beta) plus active sky (beta) plus v5-compatible complex addons + aggressive overclock + VR.

I would only suggest avoiding beta products and overclocking IF you’ve got a problem with crashes. In that case, go back to default and steadily change sliders/activate addons until you work out what your limit is.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 things:

Add more VRAM by upgrading win 10 or get new video card.

Lower your P3D v5 settings.

Wait for a stable P3D v5.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I flying P3Dv5 without CTD to. No problems. I have ORBX, AS, commercial sceneries, force feedback, chase plane, networked cockpit. I have 9900K CPU, 1080TI 11GB, 3600MHz RAM modules. In my opinion the reason of CTD and Windows blue screen is in overclocking. With P3Dv4.5 I had CPU at 5GHz and RAM at 3600 MHz (XMP profile) and everything worked fine. With new installed P3Dv5 I had CTD and blue screens from time to time. In XMP profile RAM is extremely overclocked, my has default frequency 2800 MHz. After number of tests I set my RAM to 3400 MHz and CTD disappeared  and CPU to 4.8 MHz and I have no more blue screens. My P3Dv5 simulator is working very good with graphic parameters set for extremely dense.

Mark

• Like 2

Prepare3Dv5 / ASUS Prime Z390A / I9 9900K @ 4.8 GHz / GSkill 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHZ CL15 @ 3400 MHz / RTX4070TI / Windows 10 Home / Monitor Philips 436M6VBPAB / Force Feedback Yoke / Thrustmaster PTR rudder pedals

12 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

What are you graphics settings?

I was experience CTDs, but 13 hours of flying later not a single CTD, some things to check:

1.  Don't install anything that isn't V5 compliant and/or does not have V5 installers (don't copy stuff over from V4.5)

2.  Make sure you have the latest HiFi ASP3D Beta

3.  Make sure you don't have a SimConnect.cfg in c:\users\yourusername\Documents (this is an issue now with V5)

5.  If you do have any SimConnect.xml files verify the IP matches your assigned

6.  Don't OC your GPU/CPU (for testing purposes go back to 4.2-4.5Ghz), especially the GPU since it gets much more of the load now compared to V4.5.  Also, P3D make use of AVX instructions.

7.  Check your DLL.XML and EXE.XML entries (look for duplicates)

8.  Clear out your shader cache folder

I've used Orbx NorCal with FlightBeam KSFO and KPDX and HiFi flight in the Maddog without issue.  P3D V5 HF1 is certainly not perfect, but I think the issues you are having are probably more related to an unstable OC (be it CPU or GPU).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Do you have a guide (or guidance) for starting point for all settings?

I have what I'd call a mid-high setup.

I99k @ 5.0, 32GB DDR4 SDRAM, EVGA 2070 Super, P3Dv5 is on a dedicated Samsung 850 SSD.

I can give you other specs, but these seemed like the basics.

Thanks

Dan Cole

12 hours ago, Chapstick said:

I wish it were that simple. I have a repeatable NTDLL crash on a flight out of ATL in the Maddog. Currently trying to figure out what the culprit is. So far, OCing doesn't seem to be it. 

Well, maybe I'm wrong... I keep my video card on stock settings, but just to be sure, I decided to try lowering the power limit to 80%. I haven't seen the NTDLL crash on this flight in the 3 or so times I've tried it again. Could be nothing, and will definitely require a few more flights, but it's worth a shot for anyone else having issues. It's strange that a non-OC'd card could have issues. 

40 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Well, maybe I'm wrong... I keep my video card on stock settings, but just to be sure, I decided to try lowering the power limit to 80%. I haven't seen the NTDLL crash on this flight in the 3 or so times I've tried it again. Could be nothing, and will definitely require a few more flights, but it's worth a shot for anyone else having issues. It's strange that a non-OC'd card could have issues. 

Nevermind. Just got another CTD. 

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 5.0.24.34874, time stamp: 0x5eab3677
Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 26.21.14.4587, time stamp: 0x5e879c8b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000003a982b
Faulting process id: 0x8d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6329a96f1abc7
Faulting application path: D:\Prepar3D V5\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_95bdb3a23d6478de\nvwgf2umx.dll
Report Id: 1e226d62-40c7-4e7b-95a4-1b26a16c50b5
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The folks that are not seeing the crashes - please share your Win version, graphics mfr & driver.  There are soo many variants / builds of Win10 out there currently, and I read about all these warnings & problems with them.  Is your machine set to ‘auto update’ Windows?  Mine was not, & I was still on ver 1809.  

With P3D v5 in ‘beta’,  some but not all addons ready, & Windows ‘issues’ = really tough scenario to nail down the problem.   Food for thought! 

Cheers. 

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

Hello all. 

I was having crashes myself. Believed the culprit to be AS3D (or whatever the name of it is. It just never sticks.. 😉 ). However I have narrowed it down to ORBX Objectflow. Haven't had a crash (knock on wood) since I turned that one off. I noticed that whenever I was at an ORBX airport such as ESSA, P3D couldn't shut down without "kernelbasing". On occasions it would just shut down the sim. Without Objectflow, however, not having the issue (fingers crossed).

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

59 minutes ago, joby33y said:

The folks that are not seeing the crashes - please share your Win version, graphics mfr & driver.  There are soo many variants / builds of Win10 out there currently, and I read about all these warnings & problems with them.  Is your machine set to ‘auto update’ Windows?  Mine was not, & I was still on ver 1809.  

With P3D v5 in ‘beta’,  some but not all addons ready, & Windows ‘issues’ = really tough scenario to nail down the problem.   Food for thought! 

Cheers. 

Yes, this would be helpful. In addition, to those with stable installs using ASP3D--have you gone into heavy precip and thunderstorms? That's where I'm CTDing the most.

1 minute ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes and No, I don't have a document ... BUT, I have been working on "something" that I don't want to discuss here "yet", but I will be looking for Beta testers with a variance of hardware at some point this year.

Cheers, Rob.

Oooo...I raise my hand as high as I can....Thanks

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

45 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

That's most definitely a graphics driver issue and/or GPU issue.  I'd suggest:

Thanks. I did the whole DDU process yesterday. My card runs at stock speeds. I really think it's ASP beta 3. Someone just posted in the P3D forum a crash log with nvwgf2umx.dll as well using beta 3.

Edited by Chapstick

9 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Thanks. I did the whole DDU process yesterday. My card runs at stock speeds. I really think it's ASP beta 3. Someone just posted in the P3D forum a crash log with nvwgf2umx.dll as well using beta 3.

It's only another data point, but last night I flew the Maddog for v5 on a 2 hour flight and used ASP Beta 3.  Everything was fine, no CTD's.  It was actually a little more like 2.5 hours because I had to circle around to avoid wx.

I was using a relatively low-setting nighttime settings profile (except that EA was enabled), but even then I was at 6.5 gb gfx mem used. That's a lot in my opinion considering that I did not have FSDT KMEM installed, nor ImagineSim KATL installed, and was only using 2048 textures.  However, with DX12 those kinds of gfx mem usages may be the new normal.  Lets hope the new Win10 build releasing later this week really does give us some mem back.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB