Sign in to follow this  
shermank

1338 Posts at Prepar3d.com about dxgi.dll

It's possible but unlikely to have a corrupt dll. I got crashing right off the bat with v5 but after cleaning the driver and profiles not had any since. Some problems could be due to overclocking, some from problems with incorrect files in DX12 from DX11 addons. Restore/Apply the profiles, including the Prepar3D.exe profile, if the Restore is unavailable make a change to it to force the Restore button to appear then Restore/Apply it. Strip back the sim to stock and check again with moderate settings before including addons to be sure.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 7/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, pilatuz said:

I'm running v5 on a laptop with high settings, and all ORBX, PMDG, ASP3D, ProAtcx and never get CTDs or vram issues. I used to be a big complainer about the initial release, but after doing a full uninstall of ALL ADDONS and the sim and starting from scratch, its been running perfectly since.

Are you running with HF2 installed?

On 7/9/2020 at 5:03 PM, OzWhitey said:

Sherm, this whole thread now seems a bit silly. You’re claiming that P3D v5 has a serious problem with instability - but the issue is that you’re running a 2013-spec GPU that doesn’t fully support DX12 (feature level 11_0 only).

Your card does not meet the minimum spec for P3D v5, and is nowhere near the recommended spec. So when you say “there is obviously a major problem” - well, yeah, but the problem is with your inappropriate choice of hardware.

An awful lot of the posts claiming that P3D v5 is bad are either due to 1. User error 2. Referring to the pre-HF1 era or 3. People repeating stories they’ve heard elsewhere without having tried the sim itself.

Threads like this just perpetuate the myth.

Unfortunately it's not a myth.

HF1 ran fine for me.  Not one CTD while I was using that.  Most sliders set to the right with about 3gb vram used of 6.6 over Orbx scenery, at Orbx airports, no problems anywhere.

Now, with HF2, I get regular crashes.  vram starts at about 4.5, increases to around 6.0 at some addon airports but often crashes outside of areas with addon scenery without reaching the 6.6 vram limit.  Crashes are random, i.e. after an hour or so, after changing views, or after pausing the sim.  It's a nightmare.

If it wasn't for the crazy winds aloft in HF1, I'd revert back to that in a heartbeat.

I haven't changed anything on my rig since 'upgrading' to HF2 so there is no reason for me to look elsewhere for the problem. I've seen allsorts of suggestions as to what's causing with the main one being overclocked GPU or CPU  but neither relate to me.  For me, it's a problem with HF2.

My specs are:

i7-9700K Processor (8 Cores / 8 Threads, 3.60 GHz, up to 4.90 GHz with Turbo Boost

NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 Super 8GB GDDR6

16 GB DIMM DDR4-2666 (2 x 8 GB)

1 hour ago, badger2000 said:

Are you running with HF2 installed?

Yeah and started with HF2 after the factory reset of my laptop.

1 hour ago, badger2000 said:

Now, with HF2, I get regular crashes.  vram starts at about 4.5, increases to around 6.0 at some addon airports but often crashes outside of areas with addon scenery without reaching the 6.6 vram limit. 

This has been addressed here several times before. As textures are loaded and unloaded, the GPU's available VRAM becomes fragmented into smaller chunks. Eventually, the app tries to allocate a contiguous block of VRAM that is larger than the largest available block of VRAM. hence, you might be showing 6.6 used out of 7.1 available, but you've still run out of VRAM. The 0.5 GB that appears to be available might be in a bunch of VRAM fragments.

LM tried to use VRAM more efficiently by adding the Dynamic Texture Streaming option:

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&p=216262

but the chances are that you already have this option active. Other than the standard "tips" about reducing image quality settings, I want to add one more. There are a number of people who have a ton of AI aircraft schedules in use and often with hundreds of AI aircraft active in the user's reality bubble. It's probably not the biggest user of VRAM, but I would suggest using a traffic limiter, especially with AIG models, which often have their top mipped resolution at 4K.

Seeing all these posts has made me so happy with my decision to stick with 4.5

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DChockey08 said:

Seeing all these posts has made me so happy with my decision to stick with 4.5

I'll agree I think alot of the dxgi errors are due to overclocks and such. 

But this is the tip of the iceberg.  I could give you nearly 10 other v5 bugs they still haven't fixed. 

They must of been under a lot commercial pressure to get v5 pushed out, as always I guarantee it was about money and some big corporate / Military contract. 

v63vq9-5.png

21 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Here's a simple explanation of VRAM fragmentation:

https://nvoid.gitbooks.io/introduction-to-touchdesigner/content/Optimization/11-6-GPU-Memory-Fragmentation.html

All this discussion makes me wonder what happens with mipmapped textures in DX12. Does anybody have an idea how that works and how it affects VRAM?

Thanks for your replies @jabloomf1230 but the bigger point. I was trying to make was that hf2 uses much more Vram than HF1 and that causes numerous CTD where it would not have crashed with HF1.