Sign in to follow this  
shermank

1338 Posts at Prepar3d.com about dxgi.dll

This is a cross post from their fourm....hoping to find an answer from among the many experts here....thanks

Obviously this is a major problem that still seems to remain unsolved.
After reading another forum recently

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-dxg ... rs-2623370

I began thinking about how many dxg.dll files are actually on my computer. I found 2

One in Windows/System32 which is listed as having 956kb
The second is in Windows/SysWow32 which is listed as having 764kb.

So, the question is might one dll be interfering with the other? If so, which should be deleted?
Or, are both necessary components, meaning I need to look elsewhere to solve the problem. Thanks.
Sherm

The issue is that everyone is using 5000 millions addons that could be responsible for the VRAM issue. It's not fair to blame it all on LM.

• Upvote 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I am also somebody who has not had trouble with this.  It could be addons, but I also think the problem is with settings and peoples overclocks (cpu and GPU).  However I say this as somebody with an 11gb VRAM card.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, fogboundturtle said:

The issue is that everyone is using 5000 millions addons that could be responsible for the VRAM issue. It's not fair to blame it all on LM.

In fact, you can VRAM-crash the sim with just two or three add-ons. And LM takes the blame for not allowing users any recourse for when they accidentally go over the limit (or even just near the limit, it'll crash then, too!). Instead of having an opportunity to change settings, the sim just crashes. 

I'm running v5 on a laptop with high settings, and all ORBX, PMDG, ASP3D, ProAtcx and never get CTDs or vram issues. I used to be a big complainer about the initial release, but after doing a full uninstall of ALL ADDONS and the sim and starting from scratch, its been running perfectly since.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Instead of having an opportunity to change settings, the sim just crashes. 

Spoiler: at least you have the opportunity to change the settings after restart.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

1 minute ago, JoeFackel said:

Spoiler: at least you have the opportunity to change the settings after restart.

Wow, thanks for the protip. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pilatuz said:

I'm running v5 on a laptop with high settings, and all ORBX, PMDG, ASP3D, ProAtcx and never get CTDs or vram issues. I used to be a big complainer about the initial release, but after doing a full uninstall of ALL ADDONS and the sim and starting from scratch, its been running perfectly since.

I’m a laptop user as well, what’s spec is your machine out of interest?

MSI i9-9880H, RTX 2070 8GB, 32 GB DDR4, Windows 10 1909, 144hz display frame rate locked at 36 fps works really well. I had major issues and after i uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything just feels better. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pilatuz said:

MSI i9-9880H, RTX 2070 8GB, 32 GB DDR4, Windows 10 1909, 144hz display frame rate locked at 36 fps works really well. I had major issues and after i uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything just feels better. 

Nice! I’m waiting on a new custom build laptop to arrive which will be a AMD 3700X, RTX2070 8GB, 32GB DDR4, and 144Hz display. 

10 hours ago, pilatuz said:

When you say 'everything' is that including Windows OS too?

15 hours ago, shermank said:

This is a cross post from their fourm....hoping to find an answer from among the many experts here....thanks

Obviously this is a major problem that still seems to remain unsolved.

I don’t think that it’s obvious at all that there is a major problem with the sim.

Take care with you settings and don’t try and run this sim with a potato video card.

I’ve had this error a total of one time, due, I think, to dynamic lighting at a specific airport pre-hotfix 1. So, in the last month or two, have not seen it at all and in fact had forgotten it was a thing.

Also, 1338 is an odd choice of number. I would have gone with 1337, which better describes p3d simmers. 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

15 hours ago, mrlip said:

I’m a laptop user as well, what’s spec is your machine out of interest?

Asus Z-87A MOBO, NVIDIA GTX 760 GPU, INTEL I5 4690CPU,

I know this is antique by today's standards, and I do plan on updating once the Microsoft 2020 P3D situation works itself through the process..

Thanks for your interest.

Sherm

5 hours ago, daelight said:

When you say 'everything' is that including Windows OS too?

Yep.. complete factory reset. Was a huge pain but the results were well worth it. I'm thinking most of my issues were because I had v4 installed previously, then installed v5 and things just didn't run smooth. After the whole reset I was amazed at the smoothness I now have.

6 hours ago, mrlip said:

Nice! I’m waiting on a new custom build laptop to arrive which will be a AMD 3700X, RTX2070 8GB, 32GB DDR4, and 144Hz display. 

That's awesome, how's the cooling situation on it? I have great results with a CPU undervolt. Not sure about AMDs but I have steady temps around 80C and speed pretty much stable just over 4 ghz because of the undervolt. MSI laptops are known for heating issues, I also had to repaste.