Sign in to follow this  
Highflyer48

Using a laptop for simming

I have just retired my 8 year old computer, following a bit of a motherboard meltdown and am obviously looking for a replacement but would like, if possible, the flexibility of a laptop. I've got on the order of £2k / $2½k available and wondered if there's anyone out there who regularly runs P3D v4.5 on a laptop and whether it would be a wise move or not.

Looking forward to some interesting answers.

RJ

You could get one for about that price from Sager. The NP8770N2 notebook would work - be sure to specify upgrading the ram to 32g and you'll want to spec a bigger SSD than the 500g it comes with standard, especially if you ever plan on getting 3rd party stuff, or installing anything other than the OS and MSFS.

Sagers are good, solid gaming laptops. But if you really want to do it right, get a desktop, or better yet build your own desktop. More power per dollar, more flexible, better cooling, easier to replace parts if they die, etc. If you need a mobile computing solution for reasons other than simming, Chromebooks are cheap. 

BTW a system that's optimized for p3d may not be optimized for FS2020 -- p3d is very processor-heavy and very much less-so graphics card heavy. 2020 is going to be much more graphics card heavy than p3d is (and probably processor-heavy as well!). 

Edited by eslader

1 hour ago, Highflyer48 said:

I have just retired my 8 year old computer, following a bit of a motherboard meltdown and am obviously looking for a replacement but would like, if possible, the flexibility of a laptop. I've got on the order of £2k / $2½k available and wondered if there's anyone out there who regularly runs P3D v4.5 on a laptop and whether it would be a wise move or not.

Looking forward to some interesting answers.

RJ

It's very wise if you're on the move often and have some spare time available for flight simming. Look at the specs below of my gaming laptop, which I'm very happy with. Works very fluid with P3Dv4.5 hf2.

CUK stands for Computer Upgrade King. Look for them, for example, in Amazon.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I run P3D V4 on a laptop. Not even a very flashy one either and it runs very well.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I haunted the iNet three years ago, gaming laptop, and for under $750 it ran P3Dv2 well enough. To save $, get something a couple notches from the top. Yeah, I used Tom's Hardware for a guide back then. Have always relied on that site.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptops,4828.html

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.