Sign in to follow this  
flyerboy

FREE: Orbx YBBN (Brisbane Intl) 2 day only

Hmm... YBBN may be free for now, but scroll down and it says that the prerequisite product required is Au Australia... which is denoted as Coming Soon! :blink::wacko:

So... free airport, which is commendable of course, but how much does one need to pay for the prerequisite product which does not currently exist I wonder?

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Oh, I think it has been coming soon for years but Aus V2 was released some time ago.  You can download it and see if it works.

I bought YBBN just after it was released around 10 years ago but the frame rates are shocking so a new upgraded version will be nice.  The 2nd runway only opened last weekend.

• Like 1

AU Australia has been available for some two years, as stated above.  And this free version of YBBN is a 2010 version (currently the latest) of the airport, which will work with AU Australia.  My Orbx central is telling me this is the version I already have installed - it is not an update with the new runway, sadly.

My guess is that Orbx may be planning to release the updated version of the airport in the forseeable future, and may be their way of getting it onto more computers so that when the release of an upgrade does arrive, there will be more potential buyers to advertise to!

Edited by ozzieblr
  • Like 1

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

1 hour ago, ozzieblr said:

My guess is that Orbx may be planning to release the updated version of the airport in the forseeable future, and may be their way of getting it onto more computers so that when the release of an upgrade does arrive, there will be more potential buyers to advertise to!

Thats what they said on their facebook page.  YBBN V2 is currently under development and existing users will get a discount once released.

8 hours ago, ozzieblr said:

AU Australia has been available for some two years, as stated above..

One would have thought that a company such as ORBX would have kept their site up to date especially when they have had two years to correct that notification..:blink:

I don't have Australia... so.. my loss. :cool: (I do have around 5 gigs of OZx Australia which I recently grabbed via the ORBX forums, so I guess I should install that, and I have a nice freeware YBBN for FSX (better than stock!!) )

Thanks.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I recall some ruckus between Orbx and Frooglesim (on youtube), and that's what made Orbx clarify that when it says "prerequisite" that doesn't mean the airport won't run without it. 

For example, I have Orbx's Lake Tahoe, which says NA California is a prerequisite, but I have no issues and see no adverse effects from not also having NA California. 🙂

• Upvote 1

I think it depends on the airport. For instance, I do not have NA California but purchased KMRY. It is a mess w/o NA California. Sorry I bought it 😞

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

17 hours ago, pgde said:

I think it depends on the airport. For instance, I do not have NA California but purchased KMRY. It is a mess w/o NA California. Sorry I bought it 😞

That's good to know, because I've thought about getting that several times. Have you tried a good mesh for california as a substitute?

23 minutes ago, rightseat said:

That's good to know, because I've thought about getting that several times. Have you tried a good mesh for california as a substitute?

Yes, I use Toposim all the time which is the best IMHO. No change in messed up display. ORBX said in response to my support request that I am out of luck.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

8 minutes ago, pgde said:

Yes, I use Toposim all the time which is the best IMHO. No change in messed up display. ORBX said in response to my support request that I am out of luck.

Good man. Very helpful info. Thanks for saving me $$. 

I have pretty much everything by orbx, YBBN being the least usable airport by far. Probably only used it 3 or 4 times prefer to use non realistic routing options than watch a slide show on landing or takeoff. My rig is set to run smooth in flight around 60fps and 30fps during landings. This is with a complex aircraft too. Brisbane sits at 10/15 at absolute best. I always wondered how it got through QC at all.

• Upvote 1

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

On 7/19/2020 at 9:35 AM, sloppysmusic said:

I have pretty much everything by orbx, YBBN being the least usable airport by far. Probably only used it 3 or 4 times prefer to use non realistic routing options than watch a slide show on landing or takeoff. My rig is set to run smooth in flight around 60fps and 30fps during landings. This is with a complex aircraft too. Brisbane sits at 10/15 at absolute best. I always wondered how it got through QC at all.

You've described my ORBX YBBN experience as well regarding FPS (FSX/A).  Situation remains unusable even with the default C-172.

Nevertheless, thanks ORBX, your other (many) free airports are most excellent and work flawlessly..

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2020 at 3:37 PM, kttd said:

You've described my ORBX YBBN experience as well regarding FPS (FSX/A).  Situation remains unusable even with the default C-172.

Nevertheless, thanks ORBX, your other (many) free airports are most excellent and work flawlessly..

I took up the offer but found it very out of date. Runways are missing, so my QOTSII FMC lists runways which don't exist.

I had to change the ILS frequency manually to be able to (almost) land. Ended up landing visually. 

Then of course the ground charts were completely off.

On 4.5 I don't have a frame rate problem. QOTSII inside view 14-20 outside 18-26.

At least the scenery looks good.

Edited by IanHarrison
Added version

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, IanHarrison said:

I took up the offer but found it very out of date. Runways are missing, so my QOTSII FMC lists runways which don't exist.

I had to change the ILS frequency manually to be able to (almost) land. Ended up landing visually. 

Then of course the ground charts were completely off.

On 4.5 I don't have a frame rate problem. QOTSII inside view 14-20 outside 18-26.

At least the scenery looks good.

I've had to revert to Ant's YBBN for acceptable performance (Australia V2).  Thanks to Anthony.