Sign in to follow this  
viz

Boxed version will require DVD at every start-up

2 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

I don't think anyone sees anything wrong with the DVD option itself, just the daft idea in this day and ages that the disc needs to be in the drive the whole time. Heck, they could even have had a USB stick with an encrypted key instead. If they are prepared to replace damaged DVDs then they could do the same with a cheap little USB stick when necessary. And at least the USB stick could be installed in the back of most people's PCs.

Millions upon millions of games require the disc to be inserted, all Xbox and Playstations. 

Just now, shawty1984 said:

Millions upon millions of games require the disc to be inserted, all Xbox and Playstations. 

Unless you have the digital version or (with Playstation Plus at least, and I suppose the same with XBox) if you have a disc version and then get the same game as a monthly freebie. Just because it's common, doesn't mean it has to be the same with every new game or sim moving forward.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 minute ago, 109Sqn said:

Unless you have the digital version or (with Playstation Plus at least, and I suppose the same with XBox) if you have a disc version and then get the same game as a monthly freebie. Just because it's common, doesn't mean it has to be the same with every new game or sim moving forward.

But its very common. Buy a physical game on the Xbox or PlayStation then it needs to be inserted to play. There is over 100 million consoles out there of this generation and it doesn't seem to be changing for the next generation.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My point still stands.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

My point still stands.

What, that you think its a daft idea? I'm sure the likes of Sony and Microsoft know it's not. 

13 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

But its very common. Buy a physical game on the Xbox or PlayStation then it needs to be inserted to play. There is over 100 million consoles out there of this generation and it doesn't seem to be changing for the next generation.

But most people download their games from either the MS or Playstation store directly to the console, unless the console has so little storage available that the game has to be run from an optical disk.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

What, that you think its a daft idea? I'm sure the likes of Sony and Microsoft know it's not. 

Yes.

This is going round in circles. I'll leave it there.

5 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

But most people download their games from either the MS or Playstation store directly to the console, unless the console has so little storage available that the game has to be run from an optical disk.

I doubt that, if that was the case, they wouldn't bother releasing consoles with disc drives in, plus they are more expensive. You can't run the games from the disc, it needs to be installed. 

Yes.

This is going round in circles. I'll leave it there.

You can leave it there. All I'm saying is it's not daft if two of the biggest software/hardware companies are doing it. 

3 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

I doubt that, if that was the case, they wouldn't bother releasing consoles with disc drives in, plus they are more expensive. You can't run the games from the disc, it needs to be installed. 

Doubt that all you like, but I haven't installed a game from the OD on my PS4 in years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Doubt that all you like, but I haven't installed a game from the OD on my PS4 in years.

Thats you. What about the other millions of people. If most games were sold digitally, why are both Microsoft and Sony still releasing consoles with disc drives. They want want all their games to be sold digitally and they are trying with the Xbox One S and PS5 digital edition, but most games aren't sold digitally yet. 

4 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

LOL, I will do you one better. I have never even seen either an XBOX or PS4 or what ever except maybe in a store boxed up. LOL Just never had an interest in that stuff. I got over excited once in a walmart and bought a golf game but that was many years ago. After a couple of days I wrapped it up real good in plain brown paper and threw it in the garbage. That is the extent of my "gaming career" LOL

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 hours ago, DavidP said:

The more I hear about MSFS the happier I am at my decision to wait until after release before buying.

Really? Well I already have Gamepass, so I will be enjoying it on day one and for free, while you keep on waiting...

3 hours ago, shivers9 said:

LOL, I will do you one better. I have never even seen either an XBOX or PS4 or what ever except maybe in a store boxed up. LOL Just never had an interest in that stuff. I got over excited once in a walmart and bought a golf game but that was many years ago. After a couple of days I wrapped it up real good in plain brown paper and threw it in the garbage. That is the extent of my "gaming career" LOL

Yeah.. if you picked a golf game, I can totally see why that would be...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

Sure it can change... that's why they released the digital only xbox recently, with no drive...