Sign in to follow this  
viz

Boxed version will require DVD at every start-up

If you don’t have a DVD drive, I believe that you can still activate your sim session via either your AOL connection or using your MySpace login credentials.

• Like 7

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Actually, I think I'm outraged now that it's not on blu-ray. I have a blu-ray drive after all! 

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

Disk required at start-up or not, 1990s-ish or not, they are doing those with slow or no internet a huge favor by offering a DVD set and this is something you can't even hope for in this day and age. I see that some have already started to fear there might be more 'horrible' things based on this. If anything, this shows they aren't saying no to going the extra mile to provide service to smaller parts of the pool of potential customers with 'special needs' who would normally not receive any kind of attention at all and this is in line with their entire approach so far.

• Like 3

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

24 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

If you don’t have a DVD drive, I believe that you can still activate your sim session via either your AOL connection or using your MySpace login credentials.

Now that is funny...I don't care who you are!! The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

This is awful and extremely inconvenient. It means that it is a different sort of licence compared to the digital edition, which makes no sense if it requires an Xbox account.

Along with the high shipping cost I am reconsidering getting the boxed edition. A shame, I was really looking forward to it...

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 11:08 AM, Chock said:

All good guesses, but officially, DVD stands for nothing in particular, it is just its own name.

That's correct, I remember that from many many years ago, though most will argue 'til the end that it stands for digital video disc.

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

26 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Along with the high shipping cost I am reconsidering getting the boxed edition. A shame, I was really looking forward to it...

It is hard to believe for the year 2020. I was thinking that maybe MS could include a lead filled stick that has a piece of rubber stuck on top with the DVDs. To use the Sim we could just right our initials on the screen and then erase them when done and she-bam! we would be all set to fly again tomorrow.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

23 hours ago, killthespam said:
Here we go again.

If we're in 2020 as you keep saying then you're lucky that they even offer a physical version. 

Edited by n4gix
  • Upvote 2

Wow, sucks to be everyone who built a new machine without a standard disk drive. 😲

Anyways, back to my movie watching via a DVD on the PC while I also fly at the same time as drinking a bourbon.  🎆

Hopefully they included some cool MSFS2020 stickers for my case and maybe a decal for my BMX. 😎

• Upvote 1

A clumsy move by MS and it will definitely impact physical sales of the sim. Maybe that's a positive for them as fewer copies need pressing. Like others, I was considering a boxed version for the booklet and being able to do the initial install via disc. The plan had been to open up my new PC's case and temporarily connect a BD drive from one of my other PCs. But having to insert the disk every time puts paid to that idea!🙄

Unless it turns out you can use a digital key instead of the discs at install, it looks like it'll be a digital copy for me after all. That's unless an ISO copy of DVD 1 can be mounted as someone on the Aerosoft forum has suggested...

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

20 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

A clumsy move by MS and it will definitely impact physical sales of the sim.

Install DVD drive out of sight inside the case, with the disc permanently in it.

Problem solved!

Edited by n4gix
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

8 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Install DVD drive out of sight inside the case, with the disc permanently in it.

Problem solved!

It's an external, internal disc drive. Or internal external?

elon-musk-joe-rogan.JPG

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

48 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Problem solved!

But then it's no longer available for the PC it came out of. It will impeded the airflow inside the case and be an eyesore through the glass side.  And who wants the sound of a DVD spinning up who knows how often to check it's still loaded with the correct disc?

Nope, it's digital download if they can't at least provide a digital code with hard copies.

Edited by 109Sqn
"dive" replaced with "provide"

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I see nothing wrong with the DVD option. After all, not everyone in the world has or afford access to high Speed internet. Including, much of THE UNITED STATES! Gives more people the opportunity to enjoy it. Only reason I don't have a DVD it would require a SATA slot that I use fore SSD's.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I see nothing wrong with the DVD option. 

I don't think anyone sees anything wrong with the DVD option itself, just the daft idea in this day and ages that the disc needs to be in the drive the whole time. Heck, they could even have had a USB stick with an encrypted key instead. If they are prepared to replace damaged DVDs then they could do the same with a cheap little USB stick when necessary. And at least the USB stick could be installed in the back of most people's PCs.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1