Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Backwards compability FSX/P3D

Hi there,

Probably that has been already discussed, but I could only find post commenting on FSX backwards compability. That what was said, wasn't much. Is there anyting new on this? I assume, even if MS provides us such an option, I really doubt that it will be satisfying. However, what I want to know is: are there any statements made, in regard to P3D Addons?

The bad or you can call it stupid thing is, I bought some P3D addons without even having P3D. They were on bargain and I knew someday I will switch, when I get better hardware. Back then, we hadn't even a clue about a new sim. So do you think there might be a chance that those addon are compatible? And if yes, is MSFS just meaning FSX or P3D addons either. Eitherway, I dont believe, that this mode will be useful, don't wanna know how FSX addon look like in the new sim. But we'll see.

From what I read, (UK2000 comment) it's not that easy to transport the FSX Stuff into MSFS.

There has been no statement  except that the team was using the FSX (not P3D) legacy mode to test their own architecture   and no discussion worth to remember.

Historically, the aircraft of one version generally  don't work on the next without glitches. That comes to a climax with the frenetic P3D update policy. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

According to a third party Dev the SDK is totally different to anything before and scenery airports will not work from earlier sims.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I cannot see any reason why 64bit airplanes from P3D V4+ should and can be compatible. The least I can imagine is there is a possibility to run plain XM-gauge based FSX planes. But I doubt it.

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

It being hard to forget the hours of scouring for fixes for the seemingly endless frustrating glitches FSX produced (and to a lesser extent P3D) for myself and God knows how many others - (often ask myself what would be the total sum of time spent troubleshooting by users ..... years no doubt!) ..... I for one will be delighted to kiss FSX goodbye and move on .......

Edited by AKStirling
  • Like 1

But MS said, they will implement a backwards compability mode. However, I don't know how that will look.

Yes, moving on is indeed unavoidable, I guess. However, it's so frustrating. I haven't used A2A Cessna 172, FSLabs 320, Flytampa AMS, Toronto, Boston. But have them all for P3D. That probably more than 200 bugs. It's my own fault, but never could imagine that MS is developing a new sim.

Maybe I should buy P3D when I have a new system, and run the addons I bought until we have good quality addons for FS2020. In the new sim, I will consider more if I buy addons or not. Maybe just quality aircraft but on scenery I am not sure. It clearly depends on the price policy of the addon developers. However, when I consider what they did with FSX to P3D convertion,they are gonna probably say, "yeah, but this is a completely new sim", what wouldn't make much sense, than what was P3D a not completely new sim?  Despite that some of the developers charged the same amount again. I really hope they will figure out a system that considers the situation of the old simmers. Not sure if I pay again around 1000 bucks for addons. After a period of time it really sums up.

3 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

was P3D a not completely new sim?

Nope, P3D wasn't a completely new sim. Both FSX and P3D are developed with the same core tools and methods that are the Enterprise Simulation Platform (ESP). Thus P3D's structure is in many ways identical to FSX such that even after five iterations of P3D, you can still manually place FSX objects into P3D V5's folders and they work just fine in the sim.

So comparing FSX and P3D is a bit like comparing a Chevrolet Camaro and a Pontiac Firebird, or if you're a Brit, perhaps a Morris Oxford and an Austin Cambridge; yup there are some differences, but underneath it all they're basically the same thing and the real difference is the price and who they are marketed to.

The new FS sim however, is a Bugatti Chiron - Its French, it's newer, faster, better-looking and critically, none of the parts off an old Trans Am will fit on it at all easily, and even if we could manage to fit those parts, they'd only spoil its looks and slow it down.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Guys,

I hope not that would be not great, I personally don't want the FSX flight model included as an option, Developers can get lazy and just give us a new plane for example but charge us the same and have a lousy flight model "on rails" No thank you! If this is next generation then make everyone use (including developers) the new flight model. ASOBO have put a lot of work into it so we should use it. Please ASOBO consider NOT including the FSX flight model, people including Third Parties only hacked it to make something half decent anyway. I mean its like over 13 years old time to move on. Prepar3d is hampered in my opinion by being backwards compatible and does not have the tech of MSFS.

Aerosoft thankfully have confirmed they will be using all of the new features (no porting) of the new sim so I hope that others follow suit!

Kind regards

Duncan

Edited by Duncan Odgers

MSFS apparently still has support for the legacy flight model.  This unfortunately does not automatically imply that FSX/P3D aircraft will work, but there have been rumors.

Supporting the legacy flight model is a good thing, as older aircraft that do things to enhance the flight model could conceivably be run in legacy mode to get the same enhancements.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 minutes ago, LHookins said:

...as older aircraft that do things to enhance the flight model could conceivably be run in legacy mode to get the same enhancements

Woohoo! MD-11 PMDG in MSFS, sweet! :wacko::laugh:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Nope, P3D wasn't a completely new sim. Both FSX and P3D are developed with the same core tools and methods that are the Enterprise Simulation Platform (ESP). Thus P3D's structure is in many ways identical to FSX such that even after five iterations of P3D, you can still manually place FSX objects into P3D V5's folders and they work just fine in the sim.

Yeah I know, it was meant sarcastic. They still charged the existing customers for the same product. This time we have a completely new sim, so I don't expect them to be generous and giving discounts. They even didn't with the old same engine. That's the reason why I will consider twice giving the money a third time...

We'll see, at least this will animate me to upgrade my hardware. Then I would at least have the option to use the P3D with all addons in my pocket and FS2020 without addons.

Has something be communicated or leaked regarding camera in the sim like EzDok or Chaseplane? Or do we have to rely on thierd party again?

Woohoo! MD-11 PMDG in MSFS, sweet! :wacko::laugh:

At least fps wise it run like a rocket on my newer system with FSX 😄But graphically speaking: you're right, no thank just keep arriving in 2020.

Edited by 737_800

7 hours ago, Duncan Odgers said:

I hope not that would be not great, I personally don't want the FSX flight model included as an option,

Agreed!!!

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

Chris Camp