Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Can MSFS weather the storm?

On 7/27/2020 at 10:55 AM, FlyBaby said:

I think that MSFS will be a huge hit.

This doesn't appear to be a question as the title of your post implies.

A lot of worry about nothing. I'm sure MS/Asobo has an idea how many pre-orders they have and how they will handle the load on servers.

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

I wouldn't be surprised if multiplayer goes offline the first day. I also wouldn't be surprised that the download speed for the first install/patch goes at a snails pace. I don't share your optimism when it comes to corporate planning of these things. Seems most times developers plan for a moderate success, and are surprised by large success. The surprise means servers break and people not playing the first few days. I also doubt that flightsim has access to the whole microsoft conglomerate of servers and infrastructure. It isn't like MS can just plug out their windows update servers and redirect them to MSFS 🙂 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

2 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Of course launch day will be a disaster. See: every online-dependent game ever made.

Exactly this.  It gets to be both hilarious and tiring to see every. single. community. go into a fit of rage after a rocky launch.  

There's always the Yahoos demanding refunds and lawsuits because they 'took the day off work' etc...  

It's like clockwork.   

• Like 2

Autoscaling and a good network infra (which we assume MS has with Azure) should do it's magic for initial months. Then everything will settle down.

1 hour ago, tpete61 said:

This doesn't appear to be a question as the title of your post implies.

Then you missed the point...many others understood it....think about that...

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I wouldn't be surprised if multiplayer goes offline the first day. I also wouldn't be surprised that the download speed for the first install/patch goes at a snails pace. I don't share your optimism when it comes to corporate planning of these things. Seems most times developers plan for a moderate success, and are surprised by large success. The surprise means servers break and people not playing the first few days. I also doubt that flightsim has access to the whole microsoft conglomerate of servers and infrastructure. It isn't like MS can just plug out their windows update servers and redirect them to MSFS 🙂 

My "plan" was to wait a day or so to see if there are any bandwidth issues....but I am sure I will hit that download button on day 1, and see what happens.

• Like 1

Sea of Thieves is a MS game made by a 3rd party relatively small developer. It’s a 100% online game and currently has 5 million players. Its servers go out altogether or have brain farts relatively frequently. Every time there’s a game update, no server can be joined for half to a whole day. Of course I have no idea if they are using Azure servers, et al. just because they’re a MS game. Perhaps they use their own. But.....

• Like 1

What they're not telling us is that you'll only need to have scenery streamed the first time you fly over it. Once you do that it gets saved to your drive. So if you're planning a trip around the world you’ll be needing 10 drives, aaaahahahahah!

Suckers, no wonder they aren’t charging us for all that bandwidth as a service!  

j/k of course, I have no idea how their business model works for this title, hehe.

Meh.. I am hearing that they will be allowing early installs (all 150gb) for pre-orders . And the sim has an offline mode.. so as long as I can enjoy it in some capacity while things even out, I'll be fine. I'll go fly someplace cloudy and enjoy the weather engine.

• Like 2

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

More important thing is how many will stay when the novelty has worn off.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

More important thing is how many will stay when the novelty has worn off.

If the major 3d party add-ons come in and the sim matures, history tell us that we see a huge shift ... (I remember FSX there where still users using FS2000 :()

There will always be percentage that has different expectations and opinions, so there is choice enough in simulation platforms to enjoy aviation.

If I think how it was a few years ago, then I'm glad we have now different simulators to choose from.

Personal, it will be my base sim as soon there are certain aircraft available...

Edited by awf

André

On 7/27/2020 at 10:55 AM, FlyBaby said:

I am sure that MSFS has taken all of this into account, and while I don’t fully understand how their pricing supports the data streaming obligation (I was expecting a subscription based model), I hope that the servers can support the initial download / streaming demand.

You don't know, how powerfull are MS servers :-). Load  will be much more lower, than daily continuous load by all MS on-line services, which MS provide to all its customers around whole world. You can be sure, that there willn't be any problem. And don't forget, that many of user has MSFS pre-ordered and this people will download few days befora start. So don't afraid 😉

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

I just hope that the 18th of August in Australia means exactly that - and not the 19th - when it is 18th in USA

If so - we will get the first crack at the servers - and hopefully - we who have an ultimate games pass free download

will automatically get loaded around 12-15 am Down under - that is - if those over in the shaky isles don't use up all the servers first

I happened to come across this video tonight. Blink'n heck! MS have even laid their own trans-Atlantic cable! Having this type of welly greatly increases my confidence in the infrastructure MFS has to play with (remember in the multilayer spotlight they said server load is not a problem because they dynamically add hardware (I think I remember reading somewhere that an Azure node has something like 24,000 computers in it).

• Like 2