Sign in to follow this  
stewie007

Price for Premium Deluxe in India is not justified. 90 euro!

12 hours ago, dave2013 said:

I remain very surprised that Microsoft is not charging a subscription fee for the streaming data.

As far as I know the distribution platform is the Azure Cloud, and that service infrastructure is completely independent from MSFS.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/global-infrastructure/geographies/

There will be some kind of intra-company payment model, where XBox Game Studios has to pay for useage as a whole (I expect their shops etc. are also using that infrastructure). It looks like the streaming that MSFS does isn't considered that massive a cost factor compared to the entire usage by collaboration solutions, corporate applications, Exchange/Livemail, other games, etc..

Best regards 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Worth bearing in mind too that this may very well be a case of two way traffic, with data coming from your machine about you and your habits providing demographic information about you which has a significant value to retailers.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

23 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Gents, please avoid discussion about how the Indian government chooses to spend its money. Political discussion is frowned on as you know. Not relevant to this topic.

Beg to differ, Ray, because, surely how any Government chooses to spend its wealth is related one way or another as it filters down to its GDP, which in turn equates to commercial markets, which in turn is one way or the other related to this product in this Forum that MS chooses to sell based on that GDP in that area. Or have I got my economics mixed up?

3 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Beg to differ, Ray, because, surely how any Government chooses to spend its wealth is related one way or another as it filters down to its GDP, which in turn equates to commercial markets, which in turn is one way or the other related to this product in this Forum that MS chooses to sell based on that GDP in that area. Or have I got my economics mixed up?

Tenuous at best Rick. We’ve had a complaint, hence my post. It would be a shame if the topic was locked so please abide the forum rules of no politics etc.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

had a complaint

Complaint from whom, I wonder?😲 No, in fact I can hazard a guess, so will leave it that.

What's that old adage? Sometimes.................

16 hours ago, dave2013 said:

I'm not saying that software doesn't cost anything, but it indeed costs very little to distribute millions of copies of a software product versus having to manufacture something, warehouse it, deliver it via truck/plane/train, etc.

Another poster here has good point about the streaming service having a cost.  This does make MSFS 2020 a bit different in that respect as adding many new users would necessitate increased spending on file servers, bandwidth, etc.  I remain very surprised that Microsoft is not charging a subscription fee for the streaming data.

Lastly, I find it astonishing how some responses to this are of the "let them eat cake" variety when it comes to poorer people being able to afford the simulator.  How utterly selfish.

Dave

And what about the 5 years of 'unpaid' work it costs to produce said software?

Poor people don't get to live the lifestyle of rich people, it's a fact of live regardless of where you come from. 

Also, and I'm just taking a guess here, so could be totally wrong, it might cost more to sell to various different countries. Different taxes being one. 

7 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

... "Yes Dear", "No Dear". Eventually it all goes quiet. .

Ron, that is Priceless! Thank you for the married-man humour! :biggrin:🍻

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

7 hours ago, Chock said:

The world does not owe anyone a living, and whether you buy a luxury product is a personal decision, albeit influenced by the size of your wallet. Justice doesn't come into it....

THIS ^^ 

A game, or simulator for a console or PC is NOT essential, it is indeed just a luxury for our entertainment. If it's too expensive for me I can't buy it... that's why I have a £9.99 automatic movement watch from Aldi on my wrist and not a diamond encrusted Rolex...

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Yes, the flight simulator is a luxury.  No it is not a necessity.

Do we want more people to get into this hobby or not?  There are potentially tens of thousands of less fortunate, poorer people around the world who would love to be involved in flight simulation.

What's the problem with MS or whoever offering the sim at a discount in those poorer areas so that at least some of them can afford to buy it?  I'm not saying give it away.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

16 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

There are potentially tens of thousands of less fortunate, poorer people around the world who would love to be involved in flight simulation.

Taken to kind of an extreme, I sometimes wonder how much raw talent is out there which, if it wasn't for the lack of money, could become the next F1 World Champion, or some such. One only has to watch some videos on youtube to see plenty of people from all over the world being extremely talented in many things.:cool:

20 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

I'm not saying give it away.

Dave, I believe this is something which we can both agree on, however, it appeared that even the nice gesture of the 30 Euro discount was nowhere near good enough in the OP's instance. :cool:

Mark Robinson

4 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Taken to kind of an extreme, I sometimes wonder how much raw talent is out there which, if it wasn't for the lack of money, could become the next F1 World Champion, or some such. One only has to watch some videos on youtube to see plenty of people from all over the world being extremely talented in many things.:cool:

One thing where you do see that writ large, is athletics. It's cheap to run around the streets, so poor people can still afford to get into it, but try getting into the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (Wimbledon) when you're some poor kid from Brixton. This is why England has typically had some world-class track and field athletes, but a load of posh no-hopers in Tennis, who at best made it to the quarter finals in any Tennis contest.

It's no wild coincidental accident that the UK did well in cycling after a decent Velodrome was built in Manchester as opposed to Henley-on-Thames. 🤣

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here