Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Amazing contrast in V4.5 vs V5 for ME!

10 minutes ago, spilok said:

Wow...Seems like I'm taking a little beating here.  That's OK.  It's still a friendly forum, and I love it.  I think it's good to hear other simmers' opinions. 

Yikes, no beatings please!   And a lot of these things aren't other simmers "opinions", they are factual statements.  And I think the intent of their postings in this thread was to assist you in fully enjoying your v5HF2 like most of us are.  BTW I do not yet have Win10 Build 2004 but my v5 is running ok, even with the Maddog at LatinVFR KMIA.

10 minutes ago, spilok said:

I've worked a lot on P3dV5 and so far, it doesn't seem all that different from 4.5.

Someone posted something similar earlier this week (that the only new thing in v5 was Enhanced Atmospherics)...and I didn't respond to that misinformed soul, but I probably should have.  I don't like conflict so sometimes I don't respond for that reason/would serve no constructive purpose.

Anyway, there is a lot of new in v5 and some of it, perhaps the biggest thing -- is under-the-hood.  You can see evidence of it in core usage in Task Manager -- it's quite different than v4.5 -- I posted about it in April with graphs, right after the buggy v5 RTM release.  Even then it was evident.  And its effect in the sim is what matters.  Hope you have better flying going forward.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

51 minutes ago, Mace said:

Yikes, no beatings please!   And a lot of these things aren't other simmers "opinions", they are factual statements.  And I think the intent of their postings in this thread was to assist you in fully enjoying your v5HF2 like most of us are.  BTW I do not yet have Win10 Build 2004 but my v5 is running ok, even with the Maddog at LatinVFR KMIA.

Someone posted something similar earlier this week (that the only new thing in v5 was Enhanced Atmospherics)...and I didn't respond to that misinformed soul, but I probably should have.  I don't like conflict so sometimes I don't respond for that reason/would serve no constructive purpose.

Anyway, there is a lot of new in v5 and some of it, perhaps the biggest thing -- is under-the-hood.  You can see evidence of it in core usage in Task Manager -- it's quite different than v4.5 -- I posted about it in April with graphs, right after the buggy v5 RTM release.  Even then it was evident.  And its effect in the sim is what matters.  Hope you have better flying going forward.

As you say, there's a lot of changes under the hood. It's a pretty good base for LM to work on over the next couple of years - 64 bit well and truly sorted, DX12 implemented, some decent middleware added - so here's hoping they keep the project going ahead at full speed as I'd be very interested to see what P3D v5.5 looked like!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

4 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Finally, I don't think there is "very specific attributes" needed for planes in P3D v5 - the only attribute is that they have to be v5 compatible!

I've asked this before but still haven't learned why I should  spend 59.95 for an "upgrade" that results in my losing the use of potentially hundreds of dollars in add-ons that I have paid for and like using. 

What I haven't heard is what exactly are the "improvements" that justify taking this loss?

Why would I spend the money and the hours of tweaking that apparently is required only to end up with something close to my 4.5 performance--minus some of my add-ons?

1 minute ago, TASCHMANN said:

I've asked this before but still haven't learned why I should  spend 59.95 for an "upgrade" that results in my losing the use of potentially hundreds of dollars in add-ons that I have paid for and like using. 

What I haven't heard is what exactly are the "improvements" that justify taking this loss?

Why would I spend the money and the hours of tweaking that apparently is required only to end up with something close to my 4.5 performance--minus some of my add-ons?

I think this has been discussed dozens of times, but the answer is the v5 brings better performance, improved water, excellent visuals with EA/TrueSky, greatly improved default airports (particularly their locations), better terrain mesh and a bunch of other things.

You sound pretty militant about staying with v4, which is perfectly fine - no one is forcing you to upgrade! Though it's unlikely that you would have hundreds of dollars of addons that don't work, as almost everything that I would want to use is now updated.

Personally, I'd love to see people supporting the new sim so that LM has more incentive to keep developing the platform, but that's just me.

• Upvote 1

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Non of my old addons (that I use) has had problems that prevent them to work with P3D v5+HF2. A little tweaking here and there, and voila, they work.
Even the RealAir Scouts, A2A Shockwave Lights, My Traffic 2013  and FlyTampa Grenadines (with its autogen) are working just fine. Didn't spend a dime updatong them. (I have yet to install Traffic Global which I bought more than a year ago.)
All new addons in my pit are either P4D v4 or P3D v5 compliant.

Edited by RamonB

12 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I think this has been discussed dozens of times, but the answer is the v5 brings better performance, improved water, excellent visuals with EA/TrueSky, greatly improved default airports (particularly their locations), better terrain mesh and a bunch of other things.

But doesn't the existence of this thread (and countless others) indicate that there is not always "improved performance" ? 
I enjoy the solid stutter-free 45fps that I need for VR in v 4.5.  I wouldn't want to trade that in for some additional eye candy at the expense of smooth flight. 

I don't consider "turning down my settings" and/or "upgrading my hardware" a rational response when I already have something that is working quite satisfactorily.  I'd rather spend my limited sim time flying rather than tweaking. 

The price in money and --most especially--time to achieve prettier clouds or water is simply not worth it to me.  But that's just my opinion.

Just a personal observation--no intention to be "militant."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TASCHMANN said:

edited for length

Could you give some examples of what add-ons you would lose with v5?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

12 minutes ago, pgde said:

None  of my Milviz planes (almost $250) have been certified as compatible with v5.

1 hour ago, TASCHMANN said:

But doesn't the existence of this thread (and countless others) indicate that there is not always "improved performance" ? 
I enjoy the solid stutter-free 45fps that I need for VR in v 4.5.  I wouldn't want to trade that in for some additional eye candy at the expense of smooth flight. 

I don't consider "turning down my settings" and/or "upgrading my hardware" a rational response when I already have something that is working quite satisfactorily.  I'd rather spend my limited sim time flying rather than tweaking. 

The price in money and --most especially--time to achieve prettier clouds or water is simply not worth it to me.  But that's just my opinion.

Just a personal observation--no intention to be "militant."

Agreed!

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, pgde said:

I got one cant live without....

My ‘Flight One Citation Mustang’, which does not work in v5 and Flight One has made no mention if they are going to make it compatible!

Chris Camp

2 hours ago, TASCHMANN said:

Stay on 4.5 then.  I still have my 4.5 going, too.  Your aforementioned Milviz have the King Air beta for v5 already.  You are welcome to stay on 4.5 as you will.

Hours of tweaking?  Where did that come from?   v5HF2 has no tweaking.   I have not had to do a thing to it.

And @Kilo60 and @TASCHMANN the existence of this thread shows a community willing to help a brotha out (Stan).  I'm sure you also realize that, many times, a person won't post in here if things are running well.  Instead, they'll post in here when there is a problem.  Hence, you see some threads with a user with an issue.  But to extrapolate that out that to "everyoneishavingproblemswithv5omg" is a little bit extreme.  I'm actually surprised that with v5hotfix2 I have had to do nothing -- no tweaks -- just run it and fly -- considering how BAD release-to-market v5 was, and how bad HF1 was.

But if you have preconceived notions of v5HF2, then, by all means carry on with whatever you want to fly.  It won't matter what I type here.   I still fly the Aerosoft DC-8 in my 4.5 install, and it's not being moved over...I'm sure I'm not the only one in that situation.

Rhett

No, that's the problem that I've been trying to address here. OP has a problem because he is trying to run a non-P3D v5 freeware aircraft in v5, and he doesn't want to buy v5 payware or use default. There is nothing wrong with his sim - as per his posts - despite the title of this thread.

Other people post about performance, and then you find out they're running P3D on a ZX81, or some other computer well under the recommended or even minimum spec.

The there's the third group of people who post about v5's "problems", despite having no experience with the sim. 

This leads to you talking about "countless other" threads about decreased performance, which is absolutely untrue for HF2 on any sort of decent system. As an example, look at the users posting here, everyone who I have seen is reporting improved performance. Maybe a little, maybe a lot, depending on your hardware.

No sim is perfect, but P3D v5HF2 is a stable sim with substantially improved performance when compared with its predecessor.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Oz

14 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

No, that's the problem that I've been trying to address here. OP has a problem because he is trying to run a non-P3D v5 freeware aircraft in v5, and he doesn't want to buy v5 payware or use default. There is nothing wrong with his sim - as per his posts - despite the title of this thread.

Other people post about performance, and then you find out they're running P3D on a ZX81, or some other computer well under the recommended or even minimum spec.

The there's the third group of people who post about v5's "problems", despite having no experience with the sim. 

This leads to you talking about "countless other" threads about decreased performance, which is absolutely untrue for HF2 on any sort of decent system. As an example, look at the users posting here, everyone who I have seen is reporting improved performance. Maybe a little, maybe a lot, depending on your hardware.

No sim is perfect, but P3D v5HF2 is a stable sim with substantially improved performance when compared with its predecessor.

Hi.  OP here!  I had a wonderful day today with P3dV5.  Hopefully, I have been able to sort this all out finally.  I'm sorry I caused such a reaction here.

It's not that I don't want to "buy" V5 payware....I have bought plenty, especially scenery.  I have a tremendous number of payware planes in my stable representing plenty of dollars.  But, being somewhat computer literate, I still thought that P3dv5 should be able to let me fly so many Airbuses and Boeings I have that worked well in earlier versions of P3d.  So here's what I did today:  I have been working with what I thought were duplicate and incorrect drivers both in my sound system AND my monitor (relatively new 4K LG 27UD600).  I also found that my monitor needed to be reset to default yesterday. It seems that with all my trialing between HDMI and Display Port settings....add to that Gsync engagements over the last few months, I somehow needed to get my monitor back the way it was when I bought it a few months ago.  So I reset it and made sure the correct drivers were installed in it.  I'm using Display Port with no Gsync turned on.

Today I went into Device Manager and noticed that even though I reinstalled my correct Realtek sound driver yesterday, that my sound area in DM also included  NVidia High Definition Audio driver.  Both existed there.  I DISABLED the Nvidia driver and the Realtek driver stayed enabled alone.

Today I flew the following:

• KABE to KBOS
  • KBOS to KABE
  • KABE to CYUL
  • CYUL to KBUF
  • KBUF to KABE

I flew all these flights in an Airbus I downloaded from Simviation....designed for P3d v4.  I DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE DEGRADATION OF FRAMES, NO STUTTERS, NO SIGNIFICANT PAUSES.  This is the very first time I flew all of these legs without shutting down P3d.  All I did was land, refuel and go.  I used EA throughout, Unlimited Frames, Vsync OFF, and most of my sliders full right.

So, I am happy that I seem to have solved my own self-created idiosyncrasies with this P3d version through obsessive perseverance. It was not V5's problem.  It was mine.  I am confident that V5 will now work without my problems reappearing.

Thank you for all your varied responses.  You made me work harder.

Stan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I have asked this question many times and have never gotten an answer.

I don't care for the new clouds in EA, I don't even like the effect in MSFS.  There is no way I'd be using it until the integration with Active Sky works and I can be flying in clear weather and see thunderstorms in a distance.

I am not interested in the new water and my performance in v4.5 is adequate.

What does my $200 buy me?  

Better terrain mesh sounds good, can I get more information?  What are the bunch of other things that might be worth the upgrade price?  Yes, I've read the list, I want to know what it means in practical application.

Thanks for any response.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

4 hours ago, LHookins said:

I have asked this question many times and have never gotten an answer.

I don't care for the new clouds in EA, I don't even like the effect in MSFS.  There is no way I'd be using it until the integration with Active Sky works and I can be flying in clear weather and see thunderstorms in a distance.

I am not interested in the new water and my performance in v4.5 is adequate.

What does my $200 buy me?  

Better terrain mesh sounds good, can I get more information?  What are the bunch of other things that might be worth the upgrade price?  Yes, I've read the list, I want to know what it means in practical application.

Thanks for any response.

Hook

I'll reply for him, and he can give his own reply if he wants.  You didn't read my post above, about the single most important advance with v5?   

That advance allows us to match a 60hz refresh with 60 frames (no stutter when matching refresh rate) under many circumstances, something which should interest the GA guy in you Larry.  It allows me to run 50hz and a 50 lock in even more complex circumstances.   And it allows me to run 30hz at 30 lock with even more detail than I could with 4.5.   There is your practical application.  It won't matter to you anyway though, as in most aspects of GA flying outside of A2A GA flying, the new sim will be outstanding, and in that we'll have the A2A Aero Commander soon enough, too. 

Rhett