Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

For those still not convinced by the clouds

3 hours ago, Slides said:

THAT'S the reason you will stick to P3D? LMAO

Oh, there is more. Such as missing some of the excellent aircraft available for P3D, or the uncertainty about availability of specific addons. Most importantly, my system is below minimum specs, so I have to be convinced that the new simulator is worth investing in a new PC. 

But coming back to the clouds: when I fly, I stay in the VC during almost the entire flight. Hence, the most important visuals are the cockpit interior, and then what I see outside, which is often mainly clouds. To me, cloud visuals are more important than ground visuals. In my opinion, MSFS clouds look stunning from below, but abysmal at cruise altitude.

Also, please note that I wrote that I will stick with P3D "for a little while". I am convinced that MSFS is the future and that they will eventually get everything right. I will certainly switch at some point, but not now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slides said:

There's no real third party in this space that will be able to do a worldwide air mass simulation visually and physically with acceptable frame rates, so that's out the window. 

How many type of clouds do you know? MSFS currently reader only one - cumulus. They have confirmed so during recent live stream. Case closed

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

26 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

How many type of clouds do you know? MSFS currently reader only one - cumulus. They have confirmed so during recent live stream. Case closed

Which case closed? They're the only ones who can add new cloud types to their weather simulation as far as I know. It's no longer just an art piece. They're creating a next generation platform. Other companies are stuck in 1995.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Just now, Slides said:

Which case closed? They're the only ones who can add new cloud types to their weather simulation as far as I know. It's no longer just an art piece. They're creating a next generation platform. Other companies are stuck in 1995.

Did you watch stream? They said by manipulating different parameters one can may cloud look like cirrus. Again this my opinion if you don't like it I suggest to move on

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

6 hours ago, B777ER said:

Stick with FSX then. The amount of absolute whining and hand wringing in this forum is Chernobyl level toxic.

Excuse me, but I disagree.  We know what looks good and what does not. Trust me. People know what their talking about. Therefore, it's not whining. it's just that we know it can be better. And honestly, I'm sure MS will eventually fix it. However, I am certain, it will impact frames heavily, and that's when (we) will be forced to lower the settings unless we have a new Nvidia 3080.  I say folks get ready for a 3080+ for high cloud settings. 

Edited by joemiller
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Did you watch stream? They said by manipulating different parameters one can may cloud look like cirrus. Again this my opinion if you don't like it I suggest to move on

Yes, they said that but the base cloud type is still limited right now to basically one type. You are just stretching it to approximate a cirrus cloud for example. Other cloud types will be coming with future world updates.

33 minutes ago, joemiller said:

Excuse me, but I disagree.  We know what looks good and what does not. Trust me. People know what their talking about. Therefore, it's not whining. it's just that we know it can be better. And honestly, I'm sure MS will eventually fix it. However, I am certain, it will impact frames heavily, and that's when (we) will be forced to lower the settings unless we have a new Nvidia 3080.  I say folks get ready for a 3080+ for high cloud settings. 

Granted, I have no education or expertise in the matter, but its important for strangers with no qualifications on the internet to agree to solutions. In this case, we don't.

Eric 

Clouds are fine on Ultra and you don't need a 3080Ti to have them

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

35 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Granted, I have no education or expertise in the matter, but its important for strangers with no qualifications on the internet to agree to solutions. In this case, we don't.

I'm sure you have the experience, too. We are surely no experts; however, I believe it will get better. 

8 minutes ago, joemiller said:

P3D   😁

It's X-Plane 12 you fools!

• Like 1

Some of you might appreciate this, it also gives you a good idea of what clouds can look like both near and far in the same scene in reality. Although the video compression sadly takes away much of the fascinating detail, especially on the periphery of the clouds .

As for the clouds in game nothing else is anywhere near as good, especially not in terms of forming and dissipation over time in my opinion. Is there room for improvement to make them even better? Sure. But it's one hell of a starting point.

Lastly do other simulators even with the best mods model rainbows when looking at your aircraft's shadow on a cloud? Last I heard the new simulator does?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IMG_7474_solar_glory.JPG#/media/File:IMG_7474_solar_glory.JPG

Edited by High_Alpha

Hello everyone (missed me?) Don't worry - I'm on 'probation' 🙂

I was reading through this thread and came to wonder what (if anything) HiFi Simulation (or any other weather related add-on) can do with this sim? 

Now - BE ADVISED - I'm purely speculating on what I've seen in videos and what the Discovery videos tells me...

If atmospheric-data, interpretation and cloud-data are all sourced from MeteoBlue, then I would asume that calculations of weather and atmosperic conditions would happen in the cloud. This would be convinient, and actually be a very clever system, as it would ensure that all players in an online/multiplayer setting, would see the same atmosperic conditions and cloud types and locations.

My reason for asuming this, is in the Weather Discovery video, they show a cloud map from MeteoBlue and then show the comparisson in the sim. It's an exact match, which tells me, that to have this level of accuracy they must simply download all weather data directly from MeteoBlue (temperature, saturation, cloud types and position etc).
Offline players (where NO internet connection would be available) would be limited to default static weather themes or customized self-created weather themes...

My initial assumption would be, that HiFi Simulation probably couldn't do a lot with an internal weather system, which seems so 'locked down', but come to think of it, they could probably utilize customized weather themes somehow. I don't know how, but it would presumably be dependend on the external engine, 'feeding' or pushing data in intervals to the sim? This would - most likely - have some sad side-effects, like sudden cloud/wind shifting, which would then rely on some kind of interpolation? And, then we're back in the ESP-engine setting/limitation. Sorry for sounding pessimistic - but I'm simply trying to follow a train-of-thought. Again, it's pure speculation on my part...

It's not something Asobo have talked so much about (having 3rd party weather providers), as MeteoBlue seems to be heavily anchored into the sim. I don't know how powerful their SDK turns out to be, in this regard...

Now, please don't shoot me (yet). 
I may very well have misunderstood (or simply missed something) in this. 

The above is PURELY speculation on my part... 🙂

Hope you all have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

8 hours ago, bonchie said:

Who's getting aggressive? We are joking around at people aggressively coming in here to the MSFS forum to say they clouds are 512x512 FSX clouds and that they won't be leaving P3D over it.

So another opinion is aggressive according to you ... ?

Regarding the clouds indeed they look too unsharp. Like TrueSky in P3D. Looking at MSFS vids on my 4K 47” tv shows it very clearly.

Here I have a full-size cockpit with a 86” frontview. In P3D I use the “cartoonish” clouds which at least look sharp :

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0