Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS 2020 | Stalls and Spins Test | Final Release Build

Second sidenote. The Cub bounces on the landing at the end when he comes in too fast. So planes must not stick to the ground anymore.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Chock,

I have a question which may be somewhat related.

For anyone who isn't joking and is genuinely confused on the matter: a barrel roll is a roll with no attempt to correct to stay on the directional axis, whereby the aeroplane flies a helical course owing to the rotation of the lift vector, a spin is where only one wing is flying, causing an autorotation similar to what a sycamore seed does when it drops to the ground, owing to an asymmetric lift vector.

Joking aside. I think most people would like spinning, even on an airliner, and for those who didn't, there are always those sick bags 👅

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 minutes ago, Chock said:

For anyone who isn't joking and is genuinely confused on the matter: a barrel roll is a roll with no attempt to correct to stay on the directional axis, whereby the aeroplane flies a helical course owing to the rotation of the lift vector, a spin is where only one wing is flying, causing an autorotation similar to what a sycamore seed does when it drops to the ground, owing to an asymmetric lift vector.

Joking aside. I think most people would like spinning, even on an airliner, and for those who didn't, there are always those sick bags 👅

I hate spins, but I've never been one who could do the whole spinning in circles thing for long periods of time without getting a headache.

Just now, nordance said:

What's missing is the screaming of the stall warning horn!

I heard a stall warning horn. Which plane you talking about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Well, they do all appear to want to spin just one way, but that's definitely a bit more like it. Presumably this means you can do a snap roll.

Love the snap roll IRL myself. I think that it looks like a snap roll at 2.13 in the Pitts? Hard to tell when you do not see the controls. Video below linked with time queue... Did a Lomcevac once in a YAK-52 that is a fun manouvre. So it will be interesting to see if it can do negative vertical snap rolls that is the intro to that mavouvre 🙂 Amazingly some old simulator could to that. if I remember it correctly it was "Flight Unlimited 2.0" ...

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

10 minutes ago, bonchie said:

He's aggravating the stall to get a spin by kicking the rudder. You aren't getting a Cessna to spin otherwise.

True in the real thing most of the time from level flight (in making my comment I was really more wondering about whether that was necessary in the sim). In fact true of most aeroplanes much of the time. I had to really hoof the rudder d@mn-near through the cockpit floor to get the thing to spin when I was training 🤣

Most actual unintentional spins are in circuits and are because people forget that in a turn, in addition to the fact that stall speed increases, at a reduced speed, the aeroplane descends, which means when going down in that descent owing to reduced speed, the angle of attack increases considerably, and this when it's already at a high angle of attack from being in a turn, and bob's your uncle, asymmetric stall and instant spin, then no need to bury you because you drill yourself into the ground on impact.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Chock,

"Sick bags??" never heard of this. Surely the copious retching noises and odours would actually contribute to the thrill of the spin or barrel roll LOL 

Also, I was actually curious and the question was not asked in jest.  Whilst I admit to being fairly word not allowed regarding the lift factor vs the one wing lift, the end result, surely, is much the same aerodynamically. ie the aircraft is rotating on its axis but in different directions. I would also assume that the sensations as a pilot or passenger, would be a little different as well. 

However, I have never experienced either of these variations on any flight and this contributes to my ignorance, I guess. It was/is intriguing for me though.

Thanks for your response

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

5 hours ago, Chock said:

Well, they do all appear to want to spin just one way, but that's definitely a bit more like it. Presumably this means you can do a snap roll.

Could this not be at least partially attributed to p-factor? Most of the stalls seem to be power on, and the power off ones seems less abrupt with regards to dropping a wing. They seem extremely realistic to me, aside from the pitts at least, unless I am misinterpreting the video it seems a bit out of the aircraft's actual envelope, I would be interested to hear what others think about that aircraft clip in particular...

After re watching he is for sure kicking the rudder too...

Edited by High_Alpha

3 hours ago, bonchie said:

He's aggravating the stall to get a spin by kicking the rudder. You aren't getting a Cessna to spin otherwise. I'm doing my CFI in an old 172 right now. I can hardly get it to break at all with a power on stall. It will just start to sink.

Regardless, they defintitely changed something. In 1.6.13 the C152 would not stall with full power.

I did my soon training is a 172SP. I Remember those times. Fun as hell. 

We had to use full rudder and full back pressure on the yoke. It was a lazy spin but it did. 

Enjoy that stuff man!

• Like 2

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

You don't have to be a pilot to know stalls are quite serious so it funny that the horn sounds like air escaping a balloon 😄. That scenery is amazing and I will definitely be buying scenery packs of airports and other enhancements around the world.With older sims it felt a lot like putting lipstick on a pig.

Edited by Bigsby
format
  • Like 1

A round of applause for Asobo for seemingly getting most of the GA aircraft and their flight models correct in their first ever flight sim. This is on top of all their other first ever technical accomplishments. I know some will question the FM till the cows come home but at least to my eyes, they seem realistic. 

• Like 4

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

It certainly looks accurate enough to qualify as a sim.

The other 50% is that sublime feeling when watching out of the planes window.

MSFS delivers on both!

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 5

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

8 hours ago, bonchie said:

He's aggravating the stall to get a spin by kicking the rudder. You aren't getting a Cessna to spin otherwise. I'm doing my CFI in an old 172 right now. I can hardly get it to break at all with a power on stall. It will just start to sink.

Regardless, they defintitely changed something. In 1.6.13 the C152 would not stall with full power.

Hey Bonchie thanks for your comments during this exciting time, just wondering the latest build at present is 1.7.12 is that the version you have or something else? 

2 hours ago, tweekz said:

The other 50% is that sublime feeling when watching out of the planes window.

Don’t forget the sounds. They are sublime. I look forward to the, “I forgot to strap down my coffee thermos!” addon.