Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HiFlyer

MSFS 2020 - Preview Series - Exploring Kangaroo Island

I think we are about to experience something we have never seen before, an explosion of "Sim tourism", where people are simply exploring the world, something not all that profitable to do before, when one piece of land-class looked like pretty much like any other.....

I can imagine video travelogues, as people find cool spots to showcase and everyone rushes off investigate for themselves.

Storm Chasing? New Era.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

With advancements in AI, cloud computing, VR and physics based rendering, this seems to be a new phase in not only flight simulation but any simulation. Also opens up a new revenue model for MS in the future for licensing this tech for all sorts of applications. 

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

That guy is getting WAY too excited. It’s mainly a flat island with some trees. There’s some dodgy terrain mesh, and a river that randomly extends over the road he’s following.

Clouds look average.

Lighting is nice.

There is nothing amazing or revolutionary there, and it’s not a very interesting part of the world to fly in. So I find his “Oh wow, amazing!” schtick to be a little over the top. He’s blown away that a river has (bad) water masking? Uh...OK.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

That guy is getting WAY too excited. It’s mainly a flat island with some trees. There’s some dodgy terrain mesh, and a river that randomly extends over the road he’s following.

Clouds look average.

Lighting is nice.

There is nothing amazing or revolutionary there, and it’s not a very interesting part of the world to fly in. So I find his “Oh wow, amazing!” schtick to be a little over the top. He’s blown away that a river has (bad) water masking? Uh...OK.

A lot of what you're saying may be fair if I didn't know that you fly over terrain in P3D. 🤣

I hope so, that here will be created some thread and pinned to top with name "tips for best sightseeing flying" 🙂 . There are many and many thousands interesting places on whole Earth...

I think what we have to understand here is that the quality of the terrain and objects/autogen in this video is probably indicative of a rather large portion of the entire Earth in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. When you look at it from that perspective, it is rather more impressive than it may at first appear to be. I am certainly impressed with the white caps on the waves. They look very convincing indeed when compared to the water that I have seen rendered in any other flight simulator.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

29 minutes ago, Slides said:

A lot of what you're saying may be fair if I didn't know that you fly over terrain in P3D. 🤣

Stop laughing for just a minute, Slides, and stop whatever drug you are imbibing. That made absolutely no sense. Yeah...uh..you are correct, I do fly over terrain in P3D, that's a pretty common thing that happens in flight simulators. Are you sure you know which website you are posting on?

(Actually keep taking the drugs, at least you're happy now, usually you're just angry towards anyone who flies other sims as well, how dare they?!?)

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I think what we have to understand here is that the quality of the terrain and objects/autogen in this video is probably indicative of a rather large portion of the entire Earth in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. When you look at it from that perspective, it is rather more impressive than it may at first appear to be. I am certainly impressed with the white caps on the waves. They look very convincing indeed when compared to the water that I have seen rendered in any other flight simulator.

That's because you didn't upgrade to v5, Chris! It has seriously nice looking water down low, too.

I'm not actually trying to give MSFS a hard time, I'm just trying to take off the rose tinted glasses. It looks pretty good in the video. It's ortho, with some trees, and I saw a building too which wasn't placed as well as it might have been over the ortho. I have ortho for Kangaroo Island in both X-plane and P3D, and it looks fairly similar. I'd say MSFS looks a little better (the lighting is great), you can get objects over your ortho much more easily and you can all of this without any work from the simmer.

But this guy acts as though he's never seen a river with water masking before, starts talking about how that's really important for the physics etc. It just comes across as hype (or lack of any idea about what flightsims have been able to do for over a decade).

Edit: I got Christmas and Kangaroo island mixed up, sorry South Australians!

Oz

6 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Yeah...uh..you are correct, I do fly over terrain in P3D, that's a pretty common thing that happens in flight simulators. 

I think he may have been referring to the fact you fly over default terrain in P3D where the depiction of Kangaroo Island is not a patch on MSFS, imo.

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

Stop laughing for just a minute, Slides, and stop whatever drug you are imbibing. That made absolutely no sense. Yeah...uh..you are correct, I do fly over terrain in P3D, that's a pretty common thing that happens in flight simulators. Are you sure you know which website you are posting on?

(Actually keep taking the drugs, at least you're happy now, usually you're just angry towards anyone who flies other sims as well, how dare they?!?)

The genius of OzWhitey:

"mainly a flat island"

A flat island recreated in more detail by AI than in any other sim. All out of the box.

"some trees"

100s if not 1,000s of trees rendered on screen that look almost lifelike from above with accurate lighting and shadows.

"dodgy terrain mesh"

Low resolution satellite imagery morphed around terrain in a realistic manner by AI 

"Clouds look average"

Actively moving and breathing clouds that are part of a weather system

So, yeah, don't take it to heart but I will keep laughing at you having to fly over P3D terrain in perpetuity. 😄   

i think its nice if someone pretty naive enjoys stuff, weird reaction tho, says a lot more to me, ala spoilt gamer?.

maybe the oldhands are getting too bored?

1 hour ago, Slides said:

The genius of OzWhitey:

"mainly a flat island"

A flat island recreated in more detail by AI than in any other sim. All out of the box.

"some trees"

100s if not 1,000s of trees rendered on screen that look almost lifelike from above with accurate lighting and shadows.

"dodgy terrain mesh"

Low resolution satellite imagery morphed around terrain in a realistic manner by AI 

"Clouds look average"

So, yeah, don't take it to heart but I will keep laughing at you having to fly over P3D terrain in perpetuity. 😄   

You're a strange guy, Slides.

Why would I be "flying over P3D terrain in perpetuity"? You can see from my sig that I fly at least three other sims. And I've posted plenty of times in threads where you were present about how excited I am for MSFS.

Did you watch the video? I'm only commenting on the first few minutes (edit: the bit I watched is actually in the middle, maybe he's less OTT at other times)  because I couldn't stand the guy's over-the-top commentary after that (he's not exactly a YouTube all-star, this has a very small number of views). There's a massive terrain anomaly, that is far worse than anything I've seen in South Australia with other sims. 

People act as though the terrain in MSFS is somehow magical. It looks very nice in places. Over Kangaroo Island? Yes, it's a flat island with trees, and there's a mesh problem that needs to be sorted (and which isn't in Orbx AU). That's what he chose to post, I would have probably chosen a different part of the earth if I wanted to get overexcited in a Youtube video.

Oz

What is the resolution of the photoscenery in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator? Does this vary depending on location, or is it a standard resolution across the globe? Personally, I would hope that it is a minimum of 1.2m per pixel.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

16 minutes ago, Slides said:

The genius of OzWhitey:

"mainly a flat island"

"some trees"

"dodgy terrain mesh"

"Clouds look average"

Slides,

Do want I have done with him, roll mouse over his name on left side of his posts, in the pop up window there you will see an option to ignore user, click that then click all 4 options. Then bang he is gone,

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Its incredible the lengths people go to with the constant snide digs about MSFS2020, which to me just looks like a defensive way to keep justifying the huge spending on addons they've incurred on another sim.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.