Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Where's the documentation?

.  It took a while just to learn that it meant points of interest.  I tried the Training programs but got stopped a little way in when the moderator just disappeared.  Never even finished the first lesson. Tried several times, still know success.  Maybe I could learn something if this worked.  Don't know how Discovery Flights work.  "

The Asobo training lessons are broke and do not work. They do work well on an Xbox if you are using the Xbox controller. On a PC the moderator does not just wait for you to do something but waits for you to do it with the controller she assumes you will use. If you do what she requested using another controller then she has no idea that you did the task. So she waits on you to do what you already successfully did. In other words she disappears.

The best instruction is in certain Youtube video channels. I'm not sure who does the basics but someone surely does. Here's one... you start at the bottom of the list.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FlightSimSchool/videos

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:13 PM, W2DR said:

My keyboard works OK but who the heck know what functions are assigned to which keys...........

I have memory problems so invested in a Stream Deck in which I can programme every keyboard shortcut not only for the games I play but also for productivity (e.g. strings of words used often). Not cheap but a life saver for me.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

4 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Already mentioned on page 1:

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

I find it totally reprehensible that with all the resources available to Microsoft they couldn’t be bothered to supply any documentation whatsoever. Not even a readme.txt. Heck, even amateur scenery developers provide installation instructions. How on earth are those new to flight simulation meant to learn the basics of flying or even the best way to install the program?

So users have to search for help on the internet. Lucky ones will arrive here and be directed to the better YT videos. But there is a lot of dross on YT and heaven help those who end up relying on one of those.

Those of us old enough will remember the guidance provided by the Aces Team in the flight sim series back in the 90s and later. It seems it’s too much trouble these days. That does not reflect well on that behemoth of an organisation. Shame on them.

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 4/24/2022 at 4:22 PM, wlix261 said:

I see that there is an extended version of that. I would like to know if it contains in depth documentation of all the default planes ? Or is it only the three planes mentioned in the product description ?
This is one part of documentation I miss

I have the longer version. It does not have in depth documentation of default planes. Or of most anything else. It covers a wide range but not deeply.

What MS should have done was to explain what every command in options/controllers does and how or why you might want to use them. Whoever created a particular command knew exactly what it does. The user has only a one sentence description.

OOPs, I only have the original long version. I see it has been updated with lots of new information in the updates which I have not yet downloaded.

They made a free short version too, but it was only available for a month or two and only covered optimization for performance.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have in my hand a 219 page book along with six maps/charts and a Quick Reference Guide that came with my 5-1/4" floppy disk version of Microsoft Flight Simulator boxed version in 1988.

It explains everything in fine detail.

We've come a long way haven't we.?

Roy Warren

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Baffles me this non-documentation/manual trend. As said earlier at least YT, also very likely 'Twitch' soon are picking up the slack.

Edited by icewater5

5 hours ago, Fielder said:

I have the longer version. It does not have in depth documentation of default planes.

Does any good documentation of the default planes exist all ?

It's a bold new documentation-less new world where one must fend for themselves. I suppose too many people never did RTFM! so now it's payback 🙂

• Like 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

lol .. i think i will keep what actual physical manuals i do have and save them for the antiques road-show

22 hours ago, Fielder said:

I have the longer version. It does not have in depth documentation of default planes. Or of most anything else. It covers a wide range but not deeply.

I discovered that I already have a free stripped down version of this guide. And in it I see
"A Guide to Flight Simulator features a detailed
look at each airport, aircraft"

So it is claimed that it cover the default planes. But how much ?