Sign in to follow this  
FrankR409

To vsync or not to vsync..

2 minutes ago, michaelray said:

I have been thinking about the LG 38GL950G-B. I like ultra wide and the 1600 would be a step up from my 1440. Not really HDR though.

I use the LG 38GL950G, its insane! Its the best ultra wide on the market too at the moment... And trust me, the 1600 makes a WORLD of difference in sims.

PS this monitor has a setting (I forget what its called, not at PC at moment) that eliminates and screen flickering that can be caused on lower priced G-Sync monitors. It's brilliant. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I use the LG 38GL950G, its insane! Its the best ultra wide on the market too at the moment... And trust m3, the 1600 makes a WORLD of difference in sims.

Great good to hear you are impressed with the monitor. Always good to talk to talk to someone who actually has one.

• Like 1

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

Than 65” Asus is a beast.

• Like 1

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

hello everyone

I have a 60 hz monitor and I manage to get above 30 fps from the sim. To avoid stutters i try to make 1/2 vsync from nvidia inspector and nvdia control panel but it seems not working. Altough other tweaks work,  there seems to be a problem about vsync. (by the way, 1/1 vsync command is not working either)

Is there anybody here managed to work vsync by a 3rd part program?

Thanks in advance

Mehmet

Edited by lew andropol

On 8/22/2020 at 8:59 AM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It’s blurs things. So, it keeps it smooth, but, you can tell you’re below 30fps. However it’s still flyable (for some) until it hits about 25fps. However, that is much better than a VRR rate of say 40-140, because it means G-Sync doesn’t just disconnect, which you would see instantly. 

Minimum Refresh Range

Once the framerate reaches the approximate 36 and below mark, the G-SYNC module begins inserting duplicate refreshes per frame to maintain the panel’s minimum physical refresh rate, keep the display active, and smooth motion perception. If the framerate is at 36, the refresh rate will double to 72 Hz, at 18 frames, it will triple to 54 Hz, and so on. This behavior will continue down to 1 frame per second.

Regardless of the reported framerate and variable refresh rate of the display, the scanout speed will always be a match to the display’s current maximum refresh rate; 16.6ms @60Hz, 10ms @100 Hz, 6.9ms @144 Hz, and so on. G-SYNC’s ability to detach framerate and refresh rate from the scanout speed can have benefits such as faster frame delivery and reduced input lag on high refresh rate displays at lower fixed framerates.

PS some useful gsync info:-

If you're running behind the native refresh rate at 60Hz, there are moments where you essentially get 30fps while the monitor waits for the new image.

So, gsync eliminates that wait time and refreshes the monitor only when the next frame is available, making the image smooth and stutter free. Perfect for flight sims. 

Good stuff thnx.

So for MSFS and an LG OLED CX that has a native 120hz... What would you set in SIM ?

Presumably you'd set 60 with Vert sync off.... But you can't. If you turn off Vert sync there is no limit.

So I guess you have to set G sync on in Nvidia driver and limit to 60 to not waste resources and then have settings to give you a minimum of 40.

This gives a smooth range, between 40 and 60.

Freesync is better. It goes from 20 to 60 but Radeon cards are not as good !

5 hours ago, lew andropol said:

hello everyone

I have a 60 hz monitor and I manage to get above 30 fps from the sim. To avoid stutters i try to make 1/2 vsync from nvidia inspector and nvdia control panel but it seems not working. Altough other tweaks work,  there seems to be a problem about vsync. (by the way, 1/1 vsync command is not working either)

Is there anybody here managed to work vsync by a 3rd part program?

Thanks in advance

Mehmet

No this will not work. See Bert Pieke's post about using RIVATUNER. Set Scanline Sync to X/2 and set the value to the right of that, to -1.

Run your monitor at 60hz native. Do nothing in Nvidia driver or inspector. And in the SIM remove vert sync. In P3D just set to Unlimited with TB off, and in MSFS turn vert sync OFF.

It works great.

MSFS in SIM 60 FPS vert sync setting is fab...  But 30 FPS lock is not good. Microstuttery everywhere.

And most of us will need 30 !

This RivaTuner fix is THE smoothest and simplest solution.

I've spent days on this and my original solution which was a messy combo, is bettered by Bert's.

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 1

What if you have a 144Hz monitor (optional 120, 100 and 60Hz settings) to get 30FPS fixed.

I can set my monitor at 60Hz and then the X/2 setting in RIVAtuner works fine but the 60Hz monitor refreshrate is an overall setting so it affects also my other stuff.

I would like to keep it 120Hz at least and then go down to 30FPS locked in MSFS. RIVATuner does not have a X/4 setting so with X/2 i"m ending up at 60 FPS which is smooth but it's something i can't keep up. 30 Would be nice. 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

39 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

No this will not work. See Bert Pieke's post about using RIVATUNER. Set Scanline Sync to X/2 and set the value to the right of that, to -1.

Run your monitor at 60hz native. Do nothing in Nvidia driver or inspector. And in the SIM remove vert sync. In P3D just set to Unlimited with TB off, and in MSFS turn vert sync OFF.

It works great.

MSFS in SIM 60 FPS vert sync setting is fab...  But 30 FPS lock is not good. Microstuttery everywhere.

And most of us will need 30 !

This RivaTuner fix is THE smoothest and simplest solution.

I've spent days on this and my original solution which was a messy combo, is bettered by Bert's.

Man thank you very much thats what i was looking for!

You made me a happier human being 🙂

• Upvote 1

Thank Bert ... He's the star act !
He does all the panel mods for the RealityXP/Flight1 GTN gauges too.

Great guy.

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

What if you have a 144Hz monitor (optional 120, 100 and 60Hz settings) to get 30FPS fixed.

I can set my monitor at 60Hz and then the X/2 setting in RIVAtuner works fine but the 60Hz monitor refreshrate is an overall setting so it affects also my other stuff.

I would like to keep it 120Hz at least and then go down to 30FPS locked in MSFS. RIVATuner does not have a X/4 setting so with X/2 i"m ending up at 60 FPS which is smooth but it's something i can't keep up. 30 Would be nice. 

Try setting screen refresh to 60 in nVidia driver.

Then use the X/2 -1 setting in RivaTuner.

It may read the refresh at 60 and work.

I don't know as my monitor is word not allowed good, a BDM3270 from Philips, but it only does 60hz.

......Alternatively you will need G sync. Sell your monitor and get a G sync !

Set framerate limit in Nvidia to 60, and that G sync system sets 30 to 60 smooth. You don't need more than 60 in flightsim and limiting resources to 60 is better anyway.

Lots of g sync tutorials on YouTube.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, Gabe777 said:

You mentioned a reduction to 15 and I have that too.

I have a 60hz monitor that can be set to 30hz. In P3D I set the monitor to 30 and lock 30 FPS and Vert Sync ON in nVidia driver. In SIM I have Unlimited and Vert sync OFF. And it's very smooth !

Same here, If I set the monitor to 30 Hz and it is a 60 Hz then the VSync is halved so setting 60fps I get 30fps.

However the point was that it is halving the monitor refresh, so it might not do that with a TV style 30Hz display which is native 30 Hz and setting 60fps on that setup would throw away 30 frames a second.

I find leaving the 60Hz monitor at 60 Hz and setting the FPS to 30 in the game works better. Also the mouse movement is less fluid on the desktop with half the monitor refresh. That's setting the monitor refresh with the Nvidia Control Panel.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Have you tried the Rivatunet fix ?

Way better.

Scanline Sync to X/2 and set value to -1

Leave Vert Sync off in the SIM, ignore nVidia driver settings, and leave monitor at 60hz. This removes mouse lag as well (and possibly Trackir stutter ?)

Utterly brilliant.

Thank Bert Pieke. Found this from an old post of his about P3D. Thought I'd try it in MSFS...... Absolutely THE best solution as it gets rid of the 'microstutteration' completely.

(Unfortunately still get the long freezes especially when changing weather etc.)

15 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

Have you tried the Rivatunet fix ?

Way better.

Scanline Sync to X/2 and set value to -1

Leave Vert Sync off in the SIM, ignore nVidia driver settings, and leave monitor at 60hz. This removes mouse lag as well (and possibly Trackir stutter ?)

Utterly brilliant.

Thank Bert Pieke. Found this from an old post of his about P3D. Thought I'd try it in MSFS...... Absolutely THE best solution as it gets rid of the 'microstutteration' completely.

(Unfortunately still get the long freezes especially when changing weather etc.)

As i´m fiddling with that now - i have a quick question:

You say "ignore nvidia driver setting" - does that mean you have set VSYNC in Nvidia to ON or OFF? All other Settings in Nvidia Control Panel to Default?

Thanks in advance!