Sign in to follow this  
nicboyGS

What is Rendering of scale

It's supersampling internally. 

Long story short, in an "explain like I'm 5" way..... A brute force way of anti-aliasing. It's rendering the image at a higher resolution than your current one, then shrinking it back down to the resolution of your display. 

Edited by styckx
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I keep mine at 70 for my 4k resolution. What that means is that the game is rendering at 30% lower resolution than 4K and then upscaling using temporal anti aliasing and other algorithms back to 4K.  It saves on VRAM and GPU processing power by not having to render all of the pixels needed for 4K. I see minimal image degradation at 70. Have not tried other values. 

• Like 8

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

10 minutes ago, Slides said:

I keep mine at 70 for my 4k resolution. What that means is that the game is rendering at 30% lower resolution than 4K and then upscaling using temporal anti aliasing and other algorithms back to 4K.  It saves on VRAM and GPU processing power by not having to render all of the pixels needed for 4K. I see minimal image degradation at 70. Have not tried other values. 

You know why I enjoyed this post? Because as a "MUST HAVE MORE POWER" nerd age 43 I've learned something new..

I have an i9 9900k @ 4.7 on all cores w/ 32GB of RAM and a 2080 Ti.. So I'm sort used to not having to dial things back a bit and always up.  But I never even thought of reducing the scaling, to upscale to 4k. Now  that I think about it is an extremely a smart thing to do for those with a 4k display but not the horsepower to go full balls to the wall or those that do and just want to increase performance even more. Great insight here!

Edited by styckx
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

24 minutes ago, styckx said:

You know why I enjoyed this post? Because as a "MUST HAVE MORE POWER" nerd age 43 I've learned something new..

I have an i9 9900k @ 4.7 on all cores w/ 32GB of RAM and a 2080 Ti.. So I'm sort used to not having to dial things back a bit and always up.  But I never even thought of reducing the scaling, to upscale to 4k. Now  that I think about it is an extremely a smart thing to do for those with a 4k display but not the horsepower to go full balls to the wall or those that do and just want to increase performance even more. Great insight here!

It was new for me too. This is the first time I have downscaled my resolution from 4K. In fact this is exact technique that Nvidia has introduced with DLSS. They gave it the marketing term Deep Learning Super Sampling. But it's really the same thing. This will be the next new thing in increasing graphics performance as upscaling algorithms have gotten so good now that you really can't tell.

Video from Nvidia: 

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

2 hours ago, nicboyGS said:

Can anyone tell what is the rendering of scale for? What’s a good number? Will 200 scale too large?

I'm running 3440x1440 but on old hardware (3930K and GTX970)...  So I put render scale at 70% so that I can run the quality settings on high (clouds, textures etc etc), and still getting 35+ FPS on the GA planes.

• Upvote 1

Matthew S

I accidently put mine up to 200 (wrong slider when not paying attention) and the sim almost ground to a halt at Orbx EGNM.  Put it back to 100 and it's as smooth as silk again. 

Lol! 😄  I believe if you are running at 4k resolution and put this up to 200 scaling, it is basically comparable to running it at 8k!  You would need an 8k monitor to notice it really though.  Nice when we get the hardware.  👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 hours ago, nicboyGS said:

Can anyone tell what is the rendering of scale for? What’s a good number? Will 200 scale too large?

Think of it this way.  Setting to 100 will match the resolution you have set on your display. More will increase resolution but is a performance hit. 120 is 20% increase in resolution and so on. 

Semper Fi 

Rendering of scale is available for any 3D app and can be modified from the Nvidia control panel. The setting is called DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution). All Asobo did was to move this setting to the MSFS UI for convenience. Although it is perfectly fine to downscale 4K to 80% and then bring the quality back up with superscaling, it makes just as much sense to leave the setting at 100 and reduce the amount of SS. Much of this tinkering is smoke and mirrors, but if you enjoy meddling, you might eke out slight performance and/or quality improvements, depending on your hardware.

When DSR first has added to the Nvidia video drivers, I fooled around with it using P3d and XP and I could never see an real benefit.  The whole point of DSR is upscaling 1080p to higher resolutions and then letting the AI algorithms try to interpret what's on the screen. It works really great on large format  4K SONY and LG TVs with 1080p video sources like movies and sports, but I've never seen much of a benefit with any video game. YMMV.

• Upvote 1

If you turn on the fps display in developer mode it tells you the resolution that the game is being rendered to separate to the display resolution.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 1:55 AM, Slides said:

It took me 2 months to get to this. Glad I read this topic. FPS went up from 18 to 34-36 on 4K QLED reducing rendering of scale from 200 to 100 flying A320. Thank you guys. 

• Like 1

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

On 8/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, styckx said:

As an alternative you can try 1440p and scale it to 200% which gives some good results too. But i agree that 70% 4k is a good one!

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11